Tips for Hunger Control

Options
tom_olech
tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
Hey guys,

Any tips or tricks in regards to controlling your hunger when you are on a reduced calorie diet??

Replies

• Phrakman
    Phrakman Posts: 113
    Options
    nothing really, its gonna suck. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Maybe drink copious amounts of water. Eat high volume veggies such as cabbage, spinach, lettuce etc with meals. Stay busy, dont sit and dwell about food. Get up and do something.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Any tips or tricks in regards to controlling your hunger when you are on a reduced calorie diet??

If your hunger feels particularly significant, chronic, or unmanageable, it may be a sign that you're eating below your optimal calorie target. I will bet you two donuts that you are. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

While cutting calories causes weight loss, cutting drastically doesn't cause better or faster weight loss.

However, eating smaller meals more frequently can help stabilize your blood sugar and may, if you're not under-eating, help you to feel more sated throughout the day.

Additionally, protein and complex carbs provide more lasting satiety than fats and refined foods.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Eat oatmeal, a few pieces of cacao, and a portion of almonds.
    Drink water, coffee(I drink instant), and tea(there are flavored teas - my favorite is passion and coconut Lipton tea).
    Distract yourself. Browse the web or just take a walk to get away from your kitchen. :)

Jen
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I agree, it sucks. But you'll get used to it. You'll discover what the difference between hungry and bored is. You'll realize what snacks are healthy. Eat your calories, but make sure they're not empty. I highly reccommend upping your protein. I promise, it does get better. Once you adjust to your calorie reduction you'll be fine. Drink water before you eat, you might be thirsty. Or if you have an oral fixation, drink tea, it gives you something to do.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Drink water, eat protein, and you could try konjac root capsules, they make you feel full.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    - Make sure you're actually eating enough (see link above)
    - get healthy fats (fats are not evil - they are necessary, and help keep you feeling full longer)
    - make sure you get enough protein - it will help keep you feeling full longer, as well.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Sometimes, if you know you are eating enough calories for your height/weight and you are still thinking about food a lot (like me) you just kinda have to suck it up and decide whether you want the food more or the hot body? lol

I hate it as naturally I am a lazy, sweet toothed chubber and I just wanna eat all day but I can't because it makes me miserable so I just have to ignore the feelings and remind myself that I want to look good more than I want to eat junk. Simplistic I know but for me that's what it boils down to....
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I found eating the 100 calorie bags of popcorn helped me stay full maybe eat some popcorn
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Save your calories throughout the day. Eat a lot of things (volume) that are low in calories, ex. 4 cups of broccoli, 6oz chicken breast etc
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I disagree that you have to be plagued by hunger while eating reduced calories. Since I've switched to a lower carbohydrate plan (I typically eat between 60-80g per day) I haven't had bad hunger at all, only if I skip a meal entirely does my stomach even growl anymore. I realize this way of eating isn't for everyone, but in my experience it's made losing weight much easier for me. I also recommend eating foods higher in protein and fat (meats, higher fat greek yogurt, cheese, nuts/seeds & their butters, avocados, olive oil, etc.) as well as eating lots of bulky foods (lots of veggies!). Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I go with chewing gum.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water (doesn't work for me)
    Eat a lot of protein (mostly works for me)

If I'm really hungry, what fills me up is some oatmeal, a bowl of cereal, best is a protein bar though (with a lot of fiber).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    nothing really, its gonna suck. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

No ™

It really doesn't have to be that way. I've lost nearly 60 lbs, and the only time I'm hungry is just before my meals.
  • Phrakman
    Options

No ™

It really doesn't have to be that way. I've lost nearly 60 lbs, and the only time I'm hungry is just before my meals.

congrats, but some people are forever hungry. You just deal with it and move on.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

No ™

congrats, but some people are forever hungry. You just deal with it and move on.

Really? No matter how much they eat?!? That sounds like a counter-evolutionary disorder. I would love to read the literature on that. I imagine that would be an extremely dangerous problem, like those folks who for whatever reason, can't feel pain, and end up really injuring themselves because they don't realize they have a broken leg or whatever.

Or is that not what you mean?
  • Phrakman
    Options
    rarely can get full, as some of my close friends have witnessed. There really is no limit on how much food i can pack into my stomach. I just have to be careful, hit my calorie goal and let it be.
  • jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    Hey guys,

If your hunger feels particularly significant, chronic, or unmanageable, it may be a sign that you're eating below your optimal calorie target. I will bet you two donuts that you are. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

While cutting calories causes weight loss, cutting drastically doesn't cause better or faster weight loss.

However, eating smaller meals more frequently can help stabilize your blood sugar and may, if you're not under-eating, help you to feel more sated throughout the day.

Additionally, protein and complex carbs provide more lasting satiety than fats and refined foods.

It's not a one size fits all. My BMR is 1050 and my TDEE is 1535. You will have to be hurngry at times and you will have to eat each of those times. It's just a matter of balancing your calories throughout the day like you would budget your money to last a week. I have had to find things that are high volume, low calories to get me through the day. BUT the hunger does get increasingly less after days/weeks of restricting.
    I'm not recommending 1200 cals for all. You def want to follow that link and use those rules. It just sucks when it doesn't apply to everyone.

Here's a few foods that can get me through a slump for less calories:
    oatmeal w/ flaxseed
    egg white w/ a tiny bit of healthy fat
    an apple
    94% FF popcorn
    a few almonds or pistachios
    craisins
    spinach salad
    my juiced drinks w chia or flaxseed
    frozen grapes, (a real treat)
    2% cheese slice
    hummus
    veggies, veggies, veggies, ...
    salmon
    asparagus

foods I avoid for the sake of not being filling enough for the cal's they'll cost ya:
    pre packaged foods,
    refined sugar only makes you hungrier (get used to this idea)
    white starchy carbs, (pasta, white bread, etc.
    Obviously avoid deep fried and flour coating

Gota run out but I'm sure I've got more!!!

Also, add a work out so you can get that one extra meal in. However, do NOT let your blood sugar level drop. It's counter productive
  • jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    ... FIBER, FIBER, FIBER

.... brown rice and WHOLE WHOLE grains
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    rarely can get full, as some of my close friends have witnessed. There really is no limit on how much food i can pack into my stomach. I just have to be careful, hit my calorie goal and let it be.

I'm genuinely curious about this - like, I've eaten 4,000 calories in a sitting before, but when I got home, I didn't go to the pantry. I have to wonder what the limit of a problem like that is because you could do major internal damage if you just kept eating.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

No ™

and if you want a bit more to eat today? work a bit more/harder at the gym.