How heavy of weights-30 day shred?

Options
I'm just curious about what lb of weight you are using when doing 30lb shred?

Replies

• dreamingless
    dreamingless Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use 4.4lb weights :) You?
  • JustAGirl0916
    JustAGirl0916 Posts: 1,020
    Options
    Kind of embarrassing but I don't live near a store with weights lol! I will be going this weekend so right now I'm using a bottle of water haha! I didn't know what else to use!
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    no Wal-Mart near by? Im using 2, but they are too light. Im going to move up to 4 asap! then hope to move up to 6 shortly after that. I want some bicep definition :)
  • ldniz
    ldniz Posts: 13
    Options
    I have just started (day 2 - ohgodIhurt) and using 2.6lb weights - lots of folk I know have used cans with no weights at home.
  • wdeanna506
    Options
    i started off using the large cans of baked beans then was able to purchase the 3lb weights...now ready to bump up to the 5lb weights.
  • I used 3's now I use 5's. One day maybe I will get to 8's (hopefully)!!
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Mine are 5lb each. Had no idea what I was getting myself in to. Ouch.
  • JustAGirl0916
    Options
    I have one 30 miles away and I will be getting some this weekend. I know I live where there is NOTHING lol! I was thinking of going with 3 lbs. I don't want to be bulky just toned.
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I was doing it I used a set of 3's and 5's. I would also recommend a set of 8's for certain moves in Level 3 like the plank rows. Also, these are the weight recommendations in a lot of Jillian's other workouts, so if you plan to try some of her other DVD's you'll be prepared.
  • Rotten_Apple
    Rotten_Apple Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just bought mine last weekend at Academy (started the Shred last night). I was torn between the 3lb and 4lb weights. I went with the 3lb and told myself I can always upgrade later if I need more. I think for me starting at 3 was a wise choice because I am really out of shape and have no upper body strength. Jillian is going to change that for me though :wink:
  • JustAGirl0916
    Options
    When I was doing it I used a set of 3's and 5's. I would also recommend a set of 8's for certain moves in Level 3 like the plank rows. Also, these are the weight recommendations in a lot of Jillian's other workouts, so if you plan to try some of her other DVD's you'll be prepared.

Thanks for the tips...greatly appreciated!!
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    5lbs for most, 7.5 for some, and 2.5 for those nasty lateral arm raises :)
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    5 lbs on the first rep, 3 on the second.
  • rav52
    rav52 Posts: 495
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^ Completely agree. There are certain moves parts in each level that I had to switch the weights. Some of the moves I just couldnt do with heavier ones.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    My first 30 days I used a 2, and the second I used a 5.
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have one 30 miles away and I will be getting some this weekend. I know I live where there is NOTHING lol! I was thinking of going with 3 lbs. I don't want to be bulky just toned.

there is absolutely NO WAY that you could get bulky using something above 3 lbs, ever. :flowerforyou:
    Try 5 lbs. 3 lbs is not enough of a challenge as you progress through the levels and have to travel 30 miles to get new ones. Unless this is your first exercise EVER, then try 3 lbs.
    Again, YOU WILL NOT GET BULKY! Check out all the success stories on here related to 30DS and heavy lifting.
  • rachael116
    Options
    I'm using 5lbs, but I want to get a set of 8lbs.

kwatkin - thank you for posting! I was wondering about that, and starting to get a little nervous. :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    5lbs for most, 7.5 for some, and 2.5 for those nasty lateral arm raises :)

5, and I still can't get through those nasty lateral raises. I should probably use 8s for biceps.

I don't do this on a regular basis, I do level one it as a fitness test once a month. So it isn't worth dragging a bunch of sets of weights into the living room. Besides, 5s are my lightest. But even with my resistance band workouts, I have to use a lighter band for those nasty lateral raises!
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Kind of embarrassing but I don't live near a store with weights lol! I will be going this weekend so right now I'm using a bottle of water haha! I didn't know what else to use!

Nothing to be embarrassed about. You should be proud for starting it even though you didn't have the proper materials! I started 30DS with 2 cans and a towel. I have since switched to a yoga mat and 4 lb weights.
  • n1ghtshade
    n1ghtshade Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    apart from weights is there and other equipment needed to do this?