USMC physical fitness test

Options
I have been challenged by a friend to compete with him at the USMC physical fitness test (not to be confused with the combat fitness test) in December. He is currently in much better shape than me, but I am 10 years younger, so I am hoping I can parlay my relative youth into an advantage by training hard between now and then.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm

Anyone have any experience doing this test? Even perhaps a Marine or two around (I'm grasping here, I'm guessing there aren't many out of shape marines requiring the MFP services...)?

Any suggestions for training for it? I already do 3 x 3 mile runs a week, but my time just barely scrapes past the maximum USMC allowable. I don't specifically do pull-ups or unweighted crunches at the moment (though I do lat pull downs and weighted crunches), so those are two obvious additions to make. Can anyone recommend a training app for those?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    For the run, if you aren't much of a runner then I would suggest just adding distance. That will naturally increase your time a bit.

For the pull ups, try doing reverse pull ups or assisted pull ups with a resistance band. For the reverse, start with your head over the bar and then slowly lower your body down to a count of 20. Once you can slowly lower yourself down to a count of 20 seconds, use weights to add resistance. For the assisted pull-ups with the band, tie a heavy resistance band to the bar and slip your foot into the handle, it will easy the pull up just slightly.

For the sit ups, weighted sit ups or weighted decline sit ups adds resistance. Does wonders for increasing the number of sit ups you will be able to do in 2 minutes.

Personally, I am Coast Guard so our PT isn't as crazy, but those are things I have seen Marine Corp friends doing to increase their results.
  • rotts1
    Options
    Are you still planning on doing this? Have you been training for it? I am an active duty Marine (17.5 years) and am interested in why your friend would be doing a physical fitness test (PFT) in December. Is it just between the two of you?

If you can fill me in on the other questions, I can give you some advice. Unfortunately, I didn't see this sooner. You could have been much more prepared for this. Also, are you using the same point scale? If you are 10 years younger, it may be easier for him to do "better" according to the matrix we use when calculating the overall score.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Are you still planning on doing this? Have you been training for it? I am an active duty Marine (17.5 years) and am interested in why your friend would be doing a physical fitness test (PFT) in December. Is it just between the two of you?

If you can fill me in on the other questions, I can give you some advice. Unfortunately, I didn't see this sooner. You could have been much more prepared for this. Also, are you using the same point scale? If you are 10 years younger, it may be easier for him to do "better" according to the matrix we use when calculating the overall score.

We ended up doing it back in October, but will probably keep doing it on a regular basis. Really the intent was just a bit of friendly competition, and to have a benchmark for (hopefully) improving fitness levels. Here are my scores -

3 mile run - 23m50s - 65pts
    Dead hang pull ups to failure - 8 - 40pts
    Crunches in 2 minutes - 59 - 59pts

Total score = 164, or second class for age 27-39.

Overall, given that I'm hardly a Marine, I'm very proud of my score. More importantly, I beat my buddy, so now it's my turn to lead from the front and spur him on.

My training now is -

Using an Endomondo training plan to improve my 5k time. Run 10k on Sundays, intervals on Wednesdays, and either a tempo run or intervals on Fridays. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays I do StrongLifts - squats, bench, OHP, Pendlay rows and deadlifts.

I'd be very happy to hear any general fitness advice you have, and anything specific to the PFT.