help! - do i want a fitbit zip, or something else?

Options
looking for truth teller tech to track my aerobic activities.

need something that will sync with mfp.

have seen many of my mfp friends post their "actual calories burned" versus the "mfp calories burned" - the pattern seems to be that the actuals from devices are lower than what mfp calculations would yield, and i do not wish to over-guesstimate.

what is your experience with your gadgets?

many thank yous, in advance!

=^x^=

Replies

• helloheatherbray
    helloheatherbray Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into buying a Fitbit Zip too...my concern is that, in theory, any type of activity yields burned calories...and MFP gave me a 1200 calories/a day limit, and I record my daily gym activites...but I don't record basic things like walking around the office at work, or at home. Will the FitBit record those basic walking steps as calories burned towards my 1200, which will show me I need to eat more...or does the 1200 take into consideration basic calories consumed for everyday activities/functions. I don't want it to look like I am burning more calories than I really am, and eat more than I should be as a result.

I guess I could always remove the FitBit Zip so it stops tracking steps if I'm unsure because I do machines at the gym and the bicycle is going to give me a different calorie burned reading than the ZipBit would...I guess the ZipBit is only counting my steps, so it's helpful to know what I burn on a regular basis outside gym exercise.

I guess I talked myself through my own questions.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Posted this earlier to a question.

Fitbit vs Bodymedia

It depends what features and cost you are willing to incur.

Fitbit: Pedometer on steroids. It will track your steps and sync pretty effortlessly. Provides an approx. calorie burn. No website subscription fees (a big plus in my book) Does not account for HR. attaches pretty much anywhere (bra, pocket, etc...) can sync via bluetooth with Iphone4s or better. http://www.fitbit.com/
    One: above plus tracks sleep and stairs. backlit to see it in the dark (when you push the button) approx US $100 (wife has this one)
    Zip: a pedometer not backlit approx US $50 (this is what I use)
    Flex: coming out soon wrist band style pedometer

Bodymedia: is classified as an accelerometer. Tracks by movement. So when doing upper body movements it counts calorie burn. Can also track sleep. Must be worn as a armband. Has a monthly subscription fee. Item cost around US $129 monthly sub cost (not sure what the current monthy cost is. http://www.bodymedia.com/

For cardio: a heart rate monitor with chest strap is the most accurate method for recording activity.

Basically...the Fitbit and Bodymedia will provide a nice approximation for your daily TDEE.
  • baroqueviolin
    Options
    I have a Nike Fuelband and love it. I am especially interested in the pedometer feature, but I find that pushing to make my Nike Fuel goal has been valuable. Research it.... see if it meets your needs... I really enjoy mine!
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit zip and love it. I just clip the thing between the "girls" in the morning and forget it is there.

Nope, wear it and make sure you know what time you are getting on and off the exercise machines.

Here's the deal, when you register the FitBit with their site and set it up on MFP you will have more options on your Exercise screen when you hit the add button. It will want to know what time you hopped on, say the elliptical and how long you did it. It looks at the number of steps you took during the time period you indicate and calculates the calorie burn you would have if you took X number of steps while working out on that machine. The only caveat I can imagine is the exercise bike. I'd just put it somewhere I can watch it to make sure it is recording. If it isn't, move it till it picks it up.

I love looking at how many steps I've taken each day. Fun for goal setting and if your friends on MFP have one you can set them up as friends on FitBit.com. It's a great way to challenge and encourage one another.
  • tnsons
    tnsons Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip and could not be happier. It syncs well with MFP so if I do something on treadmill or eliptical then I log in and put my calories that the machine told me i burned into MFP. If i am just walking around or anything else I just let fitbit tell mfp how many calories I burned. Love it! Have never been more motivated or done as well as now using the fitbit and MFP together.
  • helloheatherbray
    Options
    I have a Fitbit zip and love it. I just clip the thing between the "girls" in the morning and forget it is there.

Nope, wear it and make sure you know what time you are getting on and off the exercise machines.

Here's the deal, when you register the FitBit with their site and set it up on MFP you will have more options on your Exercise screen when you hit the add button. It will want to know what time you hopped on, say the elliptical and how long you did it. It looks at the number of steps you took during the time period you indicate and calculates the calorie burn you would have if you took X number of steps while working out on that machine. The only caveat I can imagine is the exercise bike. I'd just put it somewhere I can watch it to make sure it is recording. If it isn't, move it till it picks it up.

I love looking at how many steps I've taken each day. Fun for goal setting and if your friends on MFP have one you can set them up as friends on FitBit.com. It's a great way to challenge and encourage one another.

That was helpful...thanks. Now...I do a lot of abdominal work (crunches, seated torso rotation machine and ab glider)...they're all seated or kneeling machines where I'm not taking steps, but I'm doing some type of movement...I think I should remove it and just count the suggested calories from MFP's strength training calculations. Yay or nay?

And by "time" I got on a machine...the time it says on the FitBit Zip's clock display?

I just ordered one off BestBuy.com for store pickup and I'm picking it up on my way home...wish me luck :)
  • tnsons
    tnsons Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Never remove your fitbit lol! I wear mine 24/7 - you dont have to be right on the money on the times fitbit can tell if you are a few minutes off. keep it on and then record on MFP in exercise say 15 min of crunches or ab work or something like that and it will all adjust your calories
  • helloheatherbray
    Options
    So I can go into the FitBit app/website and tell it that from say 7:30p to 7:45p I was doing a torso rotation machine or crunches and it'll edit my calories burned?

Additionally...does it reset your "steps"/calories burned at midnight or do you have to manually reset it when you start a new day. I don't want to wear it while I sleep or track anything while I'm sleeping.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymediaFit LINK which seems very accurate for calorie burn. Fitbit One for some reason was not at all accurate for me. BodymediaFit is coming out with a new CORE2 later this year (late Fall) which will be significantly smaller (still an armband which I no longer notice is even on) and will have an optional heart rate monitor (chest strap) to go with it. I find the monthly subscription for internet support to be affordable and I am on social security only.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    looking for truth teller tech to track my aerobic activities.

need something that will sync with mfp.

have seen many of my mfp friends post their "actual calories burned" versus the "mfp calories burned" - the pattern seems to be that the actuals from devices are lower than what mfp calculations would yield, and i do not wish to over-guesstimate.

what is your experience with your gadgets?

many thank yous, in advance!

=^x^=

I have a fitbit but it will not accurately show your aerobic activities, it will show your walking though. It is a fancy pedometer that syncs with MFP and has a pretty cool website of its own. I use it for everyday 24/7 use, I have a Heart Rate Monitor for workouts, that is what you need if you want to track Aerobic activity, but if you are just walking or jogging the fitbit would be fine. Best of luck to you.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Personally I use the Body Media; it seems to be really accurate. When I track calories in and out, I can tell you what loss or gain I will have before getting on the scale. I used to use the mytrak M2 that one over values the effect of exercise. I think the problem is that it baselines you when you first get it and applies those settings to you forever. But as your health improves you use less calories for exercise. I have no experience with the fitbit zip; so can't speak to that one.
  • Devotchka9
    Devotchka9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So I can go into the FitBit app/website and tell it that from say 7:30p to 7:45p I was doing a torso rotation machine or crunches and it'll edit my calories burned?

Additionally...does it reset your "steps"/calories burned at midnight or do you have to manually reset it when you start a new day. I don't want to wear it while I sleep or track anything while I'm sleeping.

Yes, it will edit your calories burned. :)

It auto-resets the counters at midnight (local time), but stores the data form each day for a few days (maybe 5-7?) so even if you didn't sync it that day, you wouldn't lose the data. And your choiceto wear while sleeping or not - i find it helps me to see how good my sleep is, but i'm aso getitng up multiple times a night to nurse a child, so ...

If you want a smaller / more streamlined skinny one, or want to track sleep and stairs/elevation climbed, get the FitBit One. If you don't care about sleep patterns or the stairs you've climbed in a day, and don't mind wearing something that looks like a cross between a quarter and a half-dollar, then the FitBit Zip will be ok for you. For me, i wanted the stairs especially and wanted something skinny, hence my posession of a One. :)
  • helloheatherbray
    Options

Yes, it will edit your calories burned. :)

It auto-resets the counters at midnight (local time), but stores the data form each day for a few days (maybe 5-7?) so even if you didn't sync it that day, you wouldn't lose the data. And your choiceto wear while sleeping or not - i find it helps me to see how good my sleep is, but i'm aso getitng up multiple times a night to nurse a child, so ...

If you want a smaller / more streamlined skinny one, or want to track sleep and stairs/elevation climbed, get the FitBit One. If you don't care about sleep patterns or the stairs you've climbed in a day, and don't mind wearing something that looks like a cross between a quarter and a half-dollar, then the FitBit Zip will be ok for you. For me, i wanted the stairs especially and wanted something skinny, hence my posession of a One. :)

Thanks a ton...I think I have had all my questions answered here. I ordered the pink Zip and I'm so excited to start using it tomorrow morning. :)
  • countrygal02012
    countrygal02012 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and absolutely love it. I brought it just after Xmas and I have worn it every day since. I found that it showed me how inactive I was and I have tripled my activity! Love the Fitbit website and how MFP syncs with it. Would highly recommend buying one. I also like the fact nobody knows I am wearing one... saves all the questions
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Polar 60 about a month ago and I am glad I did. My cals burned were about 1/2 of what my previous hrm read. My previous hrm was a cheap one and it didn't have a cheststrap and the new one I have does. The Polar was cost alot more but I believe it to be accurate and it had a ton of good reviews. I paid $134 for it. So for months I was plugging in way too many exercise cals.
  • esmesmomma
    esmesmomma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have had the body media link for about 2 weeks and LOVE it! it took some trial and error to get it working but if you like them on facebook they are always offering discounts. I think i got mine for $100 and four months free service.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    many thanks for the feedback!

i have an ankle injury that puts me in a cast and prevents me from enjoying the elliptical or treadmill, so pedometer action would be a fail for my investment - looking more for aerobic movement tracker, as most of my activity is standing, seated, or laying down.

looks like a hardcore Heart Rate Monitor, or Body Media will be the best bet.

thanks you all, so much.

=^x^=
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I had a zip and loved it.. but now i have a body media Fit Link and its soooo much better!!!
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    many thanks for the feedback!

i have an ankle injury that puts me in a cast and prevents me from enjoying the elliptical or treadmill, so pedometer action would be a fail for my investment - looking more for aerobic movement tracker, as most of my activity is standing, seated, or laying down.

looks like a hardcore Heart Rate Monitor, or Body Media will be the best bet.

thanks you all, so much.

=^x^=

Heart rate monitors are not meant to be worn all day and my understanding is that your heart rate has to be up to a certain (minimum higher than resting.) bpm to actually provide any informatiom. Go to the Bodymedia site and read the info on it. It is actually considered a medical device because of the testing done during development and the accuracy. I am impressed with it.