How to stick to your diet at dinner and on the weekend

Options
It seems so easy to stick with my diet during the day, but when it comes to dinner and the weekends I just can't seem to get a grip. Anybody have any suggestions of how you handle this? Thanks in advance. :-)

Replies

• Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had the same predicament when I hopped on the healthy bandwagon. I'd log 5 days in a row and then fall off from Friday night until Monday morning.

I make Saturday morning exercise a priority. It really sets the tone for my entire day. If I know I'm going to eat out with friends that night, I work out a little longer. Plan ahead and stick to the plan.

When you're eating out, make smart choices. Do you REALLY need a burger and fries? Do you HAVE to eat the entire entree? Maybe eat at home a little beforehand. That way, when you get to the restaurant, you won't be famished and make poor choices.
  • kliermann
    kliermann Posts: 514
    Options
    It seems so easy to stick with my diet during the day, but when it comes to dinner and the weekends I just can't seem to get a grip. Anybody have any suggestions of how you handle this? Thanks in advance. :-)

HAHAHA I have the same exact problem!!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I go over on weekends often, but I still try to moderate how much I go over. For example, I might get that big steak I want, but will only eat steamed veggies with it and skip a potato. I might have that Chimicanga, but Ieat half instead of the whol thing and skip the chips and salsa. Etc.

I also try to make up for it in other meals either on that day or the next day.

Overall, I don't worry too much about it, expcially if I get in my workouts.
  • SCarolinaNiki
    SCarolinaNiki Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that helps me stick to dinner is to decide and log what I'm going to eat before I leave work. Usually sometime around mid-afternoon either I or my husband decides what is for dinner. So I come on here, look up what we are eating decide one portion sizes that fit into the day I've been having, and log them. That way, once I'm standing there in front of the pots to serve my plate, I don't have to guess how much to eat or let my appetite or eyes make the choice on how much. I already know and stick to it.

If we are going out to eat, I'll look at the menu online ahead of time and do the same thing. If I need to only eat half of an entree, then I ask for the box immediately when I get my food and put half of it away. Out of sight, out of mind.

As far as the weekends go, I have a bad habit of munching, so I work really hard to work in some exercise to help off-set it. That one is still a battle I face every weekend, but like what one of the PP said, as long I moderate how much I go over, I don't get mad at myself or beat myself up over it. You are allowed to have bad days here and there.
  • Bumblebee3441
    Bumblebee3441 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks this helps a lot!
  • CeeCeeMee
    CeeCeeMee Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Six years ago I dropped almost 30 pounds in @7 months. One of the main things that helped when eating out was to ask for a carry out box when I placed my food order. As soon as the food was delivered, I'd cut the entree in half and place it in the box, sometimes half of the sides as well. Once I closed the box I convinced myself it was a case of "out of sight, out of mind." That portion became my lunch for the next day.

That was then. Now I'm trying to get myself into that habit all over again. Over the years, I've gained back all of that and then some.

As for eating at home, I'll be interested to see what suggestions other make. That's even more of a downfall for me than eating at restaurants.

Good luck. We CAN do this!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Don't buy junk = don't eat junk. I find it much easier to make a good choice at the store (go after a meal) than when it's at home staring at me.

I'm a sahm though so I'm used to being home with junk, so I guess it's easier for me.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Um, you mean besides discipline and self control?
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I save a ton of calories for dinner. I like to eat a lot of food at dinner, so that's usually a 800-1000 calorie meal. I also am not ashamed about being totally rude and getting up from the table if I finish before the rest of my family and am tempted to continue eating/get seconds/snack from their plates when I know I'm done - because I know that's better for my mental well-being.

Weekends? Put in a good workout in the morning... it really does encourage me to make better choices throughout the day and there's more calories eat as a result.
  • Tessiejo1983
    Options
    Hi! I've been reading, This is Why Your Fat, and in her plan she suggests that if you stick to a clean diet all week, then you should allow yourself two treat meals on the weekends. Both meals should not exceed 1,800 calories. She states that you allow yourself these cheat meals then you shouldn't mess up your progress or feel deprived. I think that is a good idea, and I'm looking forward to my cheet meals this evening and Saturday. I think I can still be good on Sundays. :flowerforyou:
  • NadiaSAKloof
    NadiaSAKloof Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is my first weekend, so will see how I do. Like one of the others posted, my weekend "binge" used to start on a Friday, so for 3 days of the week, I would eat junk! When I went shopping this afternoon, I bought a few chocolate USN protein bars and I am SO looking forward to one just now! I am fully expecting to go over on the weekend, but it will not be anywhere near what I would normally have eaten. Good luck!
  • Tessiejo1983
    Options
    I like your idea of checking in before you eat the meal. I've thought about doing that. Maybe I'll try.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I used to dread Sunday nights because they were full of guilt about overindulging on the weekends until I began working out (30 minutes light exercise, compared to my higher intensity M-F routine) and also logged my weekend calories. I gained more control and insight of what I was really consuming, seeing that it wasn't that horrible after all...especially considering the added weekend cardio.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Um, you mean besides discipline and self control?

Fantastic. You could also try super glue.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Its harder for me on weekends too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I save a ton of calories for dinner. I like to eat a lot of food at dinner, so that's usually a 800-1000 calorie meal. I also am not ashamed about being totally rude and getting up from the table if I finish before the rest of my family and am tempted to continue eating/get seconds/snack from their plates when I know I'm done - because I know that's better for my mental well-being.

Weekends? Put in a good workout in the morning... it really does encourage me to make better choices throughout the day and there's more calories eat as a result.

This too. I try to save 600 calories for dinner. Or if I have 400 or so, I have a light dinner, so I can have a snack later.

And yes, go work out right away on week ends, so you can eat more!