training for 10 miles in 3 weeks?!

Options
I am training for the broad street run in Philly on May 5. It is a 10 mile run. So far in my training my longest distance has been 7 miles. This was two weeks ago - I ended up taking off for about two weeks (not intentionally - got sick, working extra hours, etc....i know excuses excuses!) Anyways I only have about 3 weeks left to prepare and I am worried about not being able to cover the distance. This is the first real race I'l be doing other than a 5k so I know I won't be breaking any records but I want to be able to finish and be proud of myself.
So basically my question(s) is(are) can I get my distance up that high in 2-3 weeks? How should I plan for this? Should I run everyday and on maybe Saturdays just go for 10 miles and run as much of it as I can and just get my time down in the next couple of weeks?
If I can't run the whole time is it ok to walk a little during the race?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Well, if you add a mile a week to your long run, you'll be at 10 just in time for the race. It would be your first time doing 10, but I think it might be doable.

I'm not a seasoned or experienced runner, 2.75 miles is my longest at this point, I'm trining for a 5K in May and a 10K in July. But, I wouldn't run every day. Perhaps 4 days with two middle of the road runs (30 or 40 minutes?), one long run and a light run, I think. She is what training plans seem to advocate. I also think it's ok to walk a bit during the race. I used to think I had to run the whole time/distance that I was aiming for. I've looked at jeff Galloway's training plans and he advocates a run/walk strategy. i've done it a couple of times when running recently (again, I'm running short distances at this point), and it does help me keep going. I'll talk a 1 minute walk break, and keep a brisk pace (4mph by my treadmill) for that minute. I think it'd be completely fine for a 10 mile run to run for 10 minutes or so then take a quick walk break.