WHY MUST I GET OFF TRACK?!?!

Options
I get so aggravated with myself that I lose sight of the big picture and never stay motivated to lose all of my weight. I have been up and down my whole adult life. At my biggest, I was 230 (I'm a good 50+ pounds less than that now) and at my lowest I was 158 (I've got a way to go to get back there). Either way, I've had a lot going on (moving into a new home, working my four jobs, etc. etc.) and I kind of just fell off the bandwagon. I am currently 7 days without a cigarette. I see myself choosing to eat when I'm not really hungry as a comfort for my previous habit of picking up a cigarette. At the beginning of this week, I had a plan to eat raw veggies any time I felt the need to smoke. Apparently, I've developed some type of intolerance to raw veggies. All I want to do is snack on something healthy, but they cause my stomach to hurt so bad...it' almost unbearable. Does anyone else have this problem? Or is my body ridiculous? This is really the reason I've turned to MFP again...because I just ate a whole bag of chocolate covered peanuts and that is going to be a habit all in itself if I don't get some weight loss support coming in. lol

Some people say you can pretty much eat what you want as long as you choose nutritious foods and stay under a certain calorie intake if you work out. I have NEVER been really motivated to work out. I just can't seem to find the time to do what I need to do in order to schedule it into my very hectic 13 hour work days. My four jobs all require very little physical activity (mostly sedentary), and I really believe that I could make a difference in my body and put less emphasis on my calorie intake. I rarely eat excessive amounts of calories. I need some help getting motivated...from people like me with my same issue. I know there are tons of people out there who have been where I've been and succeeded. I need to hear your story. What really got you back on track? What kept you on the right track?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Four jobs is crazy! I give props to you for that.

I'm not trying to sound mean or rude however if you want to lose weight bad enough (honestly, truly you want to bad enough) you will find ways to do it. You will find time to exercise. You don't have to block off 1 hour a day for exercise. A few blocks of 10 minutes will work as well.

For eating, don't have the bad foods in the house or have them in a spot where you can't access them. Have fruit and vegetables cut up and ready to eat in the fridge so you can easily grab those instead of turning to something else because you don't want to spend the time to wash and cut them up. The extra veggie intake may upset your stomach due to the extra fiber. If you aren't drinking enough water or not getting enough good fats in your diet it could cause stomach issues. Are you sure it's not partially in your head thinking "if I eat these veggies my stomach is going to hurt so I shouldn't" kind of thing? If you really can't eat raw veggies now, lightly steam them or boil them so it helps a bit.

I used to be like you. I worked a very stressful job that had me commuting 3 hours each way which caused me to have less time to do what I needed to do and made me exhausted all the time. It's part of the reason why I gained back the 70lbs I previously lost.

What I did was on one of my days off I walked over to the grocery store and picked up tons of fruits and veggies. I brought them home and washed them and cut them up. I made a huge bowl of salad and put that in the fridge so it was easy and quick to grab. I had containers in the fridge with cut up fruits and veggies in them so they were ready to go for a quick grab for a snack. I tried to keep all the "bad" foods out of the house.

I also took my favourite pair of jeans which don't fit and put them on a hanger in my bedroom so I saw them everyday instead of them sitting in the bottom of the closet in a tote. Seeing those jeans everyday makes it much easier to stay on track.

If you find yourself reaching for food when you aren't hungry as a replacement for a smoke (great job by the way on 7 days smoke free!!!!), do something else. Chew gum, suck on a mint or candy, knit, go for a walk, clean the dishes, fold the laundry, etc. DO something to distract yourself. Try the lozenges or the gum made for helping to quit smoking. I have used them personally and find they really do help.