Trying to calculate TDEE, but number are way off!

Options
Hi all!

I have been trying to calculate my TDEE in order to get an accurate (or somewhat accurate) estimation for my calorie count on MFP. But, when I use the IPOARM protocol, which uses Fat2FitRadio, my BMR calculations are quite different, and as such, TDEE is different. These are my numbers from the site:

Using the military BF calculator, my BF% is 54.2
I am 63 inches, 36 y.o., and currently weigh 228

So, when I plug my numbers into the BMR site, Katch BMR is 1391, multiplied by 1.375 provides a TDEE of 1912, and then I take .80(1912)=1530 calories.

My Harris BMR is 1774, providing a TDEE of 2439 for lightly active, and then I take .80(2439)=1951

So, I have about a 400 calorie difference here. Do you think I should go with the Katch formulation since it takes lean body mass into account? I have a lot to lose, so I want to get this right, and not keep messing with it. Right now, I simply set my calories in between the two numbers.

What do you think?
Thanks for the help,

Sarah

Replies

• Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'd say just go with the 1500-1700 cal including exercise and you will be fine.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Your body fat calculator is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off. I weigh much more than you do, I am only an inch taller and mine doesn't even go that high. It's kind of hard to tell from your photo how muscular you are, but you don't look flabby at all. I think you look pretty fit for your height and weight. Calipers would give you a much better idea of your BF%. So, even though you have quite a bit to lose it's not like you are sedentary at least you don't look like a couch potato. So, you are one of the lucky ones even if you aren't where you want to be right now, it's always a bit easier if you have more muscle to burn more calories. So what Maridar said the higher calories is probably closer to what you need.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    if still in doubt check this out:) http://scoobysworkshop.com it helped me, advice, and calculations, too.
  • cincigina
    cincigina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I actually used all three Body Fat calculators and then calculated an average of three because they all were very different. That's what IPOARM said to do.

My two TDEE calculations were very similar when I did that.
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!