Are all protein shakes equal?

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
I see all these different types of protein shakes, whey, casein etc. Isn't protein just protein!? If not, what's the difference, give me an idiots guide please :)

My BF is convinced we can't drink the same shake, we're both wanting to build muscle though and I get the feeling his gym owner will just try and talk him into an expensive shake when we can get them much cheaper elsewhere.

Replies

• esmesmomma
    esmesmomma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    definitely not all the same. so many of my friends say their shakes give them stomach aches and I know it's the whey. I use Vega protein shakes which are pricey but taste amazing and they have all my vitamins, probiotics and omega 3's in them so i no longer need to buy all that extra stuff. it is a mixture of Pea protein, SaviSeed (sacha inchi) protein, Hemp seed protein and Sprouted whole grain brown rice protein. I'm vegetarian bordering on vegan so whey and casein are no no's.

i would just try different kinds until you find one that you think tastes good. myvega.com chocolate is my favorite and I make it with almond milk, 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1/2 a banana with ice and i feel like it's dessert. my local spouts has it on sale periodically. I also like Garden of Life protein powder. it's a good price on amazon, much cheaper than at whole foods.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There are definitely different types of protein powders.

The biggest difference is whether you are buying a whey protein, or casein. Whey will be absorbed and used by your body very quickly, making it a good option for post-workout meals. Casein, on the other hand, digests and is used by the body more slowly. Both are beneficial for different reasons.

Another difference is in the "other" ingredients. Some have way higher carb, fat, sodium content, etc...if you are trying to "builk", you would want the higher calories, carbs and fat...those powders would be used as more of a meal replacement as they can run upwards of 350-400 calories a serving.

Still others are more of a pure protein, with minimal fat, carbs, sodium and sugar....some of those run only about 120 calories or so and are really more of a snack or post-workout drink that boosts your protein intake without adding all the unnecessary other macros and calories, rather than a meal replacement.

It's all about reading labels and deciding what it is you need based on your goals.

ETA: Whey and Casein are not your only options. As mentioned by PP, if you are a vegetarian, you would want to seek out other non-dairy/animal based protein powders.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I just want cheap and cheerful tbh. I just want something to maximise my insanity results, I'm not sure what I need though, I thought just a high protein low fat shake was what i wanted but now I've got no idea. Obviously i'm not wanting to bulk, I want to reduce bf% and increase lean muscle mass.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey. It comes in a gazillion flavors, and is low on calories, fat, carbs, etc...I think it's about 24g of protein per serving. :)

You can find it on bodybuilding.com.