Diabetic -- how low is too low to exercise?

ZulyC
ZulyC Posts: 19
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I checked my glucose before exercising and it was 88. Is that too low to exercise? I often have this problem, and I hate it because then I'm forced to have an extra snack that I hadn't planned on. Extra snack = even more need to exercise!

Replies

• khoolette
    khoolette Posts: 73
    I think that varies from individual to individual. Are you on the pump? If so, you can adjust your insulin during exercise. If not, then make sure you check your glucose after exercise and again 30-60 mins after. If you go low, all you need is one apple to bring it back up, and that's only about 86 cals. I know for me, it depends on what I ate before exercise, if it's that time of month, if I'm stressed, sick, I could go on and on. So many things affect my glucose levels. It never seems to be the same from day to day :0)
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    You need to check with you endocrinologist to see what she/he suggests, but I normally try to stay around 90-100 at least depending on how long I am going to be exercising. I have several diabetic athletics that also try to stay in the same range (all on pumps, including me) and it seems to be a good level for them too.
  • ZulyC
    ZulyC Posts: 19
    Thanks for the responses. I'm going to make an appointment with my endocrinologist today. It's really frustrating that these fluctuations are getting in the way of exercise. Last night when it was at 88, it was AFTER I had a snack and then about 15 minutes later I checked again and instead of going up, it had gone DOWN to 66! It's hard enough to get motivated to exercise, then getting sidetracked by these lows not only keeps me from exercising but also forces me to eat unplanned food. I'm not going to let it get me down, but I do need to find a solution. :)
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    I think this is something you should talk to your doctor about.
This discussion has been closed.