How to get my kid to run

Options
My oldest son hates to run for exercise and is overweight - but loves sports and plays every sport yet continues to be overweight.

Recently he quit soccer since he had to chose only 2 sports a season (all this running around to 8 practices a week was making me crazy).

Now that I am going to the gym 5+x a week and have for 15 months - how can I get him to start running so that he can succeed? It is so bad that every time he gets up to bat he gets out unless he is walked...

He asked to use the treadmill and I taught him how but the interest faded quickly - apparently it was only cool when he wasn't old enough to use it...

He plays basketball and is much faster on the basketball court - but there is something about baseball that makes him run soo slow...and he gets so sad when he gets out...

Replies

• carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Maybe go running with him? Or, if it's "not cool" to run with mom, is there a male figure like dad, uncle, cousin, family friend, that could run or do pick up games with him? If it's a fun, social activity with someone he wants to spend time with, that might get him interested.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    let a alligator go after him.
  • erindh87
    erindh87 Posts: 94
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, there's an app called Zombies, Run! (or something similar) where zombies will "chase" you. He might consider that fun.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    How old is he?
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    Chase him with a huge paddle????
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Run with him! I run with my kids. It's fun! They also get super-motivated for a while after I buy them their new running shoes each season. ;) Maybe he'd like a cool running t-shirt or some flashy (and supportive) shoes?
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Does his team do basketball drills during practice? I can understand the "not like running" thing, I didn't like it when I was younger either. Give me sports ANY day. Could also be because my mom told me I was fat and I needed to walk/run like she did. lol You don't mention how old he is, but it sounds like he likes being part of a team, maybe *he* could start something like conditioning training so that his team plays better? It's not running or working out if it's called Conditioning Training. Right? ;)
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't force him to do something he doesn't want. Exercise should be fun for kids and adults.
    Is he dangerously overweight? What is his diet like?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to force him to do what you like, encourage him to do activities that he likes. Some people just do not like to run, if you keep on him you will push him further away from fitness all together. Best of luck to you.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Does he have to go out running? If he's fast at basketball and enjoys it, maybe practicing that sport more often will improve his fitness and speed.
    Otherwise, I have heard about a smartphone app called zombie run, where the aim is to run away from zombies...might make it a bit more interesting?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Why do you want him to run if he doesn't like it and he's already doing sports? If he's overweight, ask him how he wants to address the problem. He's already exercising. Maybe it's his diet.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Tie a hotdog to the end of a stick and place it on his head.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Tie him to the back of your vehicle and drive at a reasonable pace.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you figure it out, let me know. My daughter signed up for 7th grade track, and still isn't a fan of running. I have fallen in love with running and would love for this to be "our thing", but so far. . .nada.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The beatings will continue until morale improves......

First off address the overweight problem - that's due to diet not lack of running ability.
    Then let the kid do the sports he wants to do and enjoys.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Tie him to the back of your vehicle and drive at a reasonable pace.
    Worked wonders for my kids, lost all kinds of weight.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas..
  • Ender126
    Ender126 Posts: 44
    Options
    My oldest son hates to run for exercise and is overweight - but loves sports and plays every sport yet continues to be overweight.

Recently he quit soccer since he had to chose only 2 sports a season (all this running around to 8 practices a week was making me crazy).

Now that I am going to the gym 5+x a week and have for 15 months - how can I get him to start running so that he can succeed? It is so bad that every time he gets up to bat he gets out unless he is walked...

He asked to use the treadmill and I taught him how but the interest faded quickly - apparently it was only cool when he wasn't old enough to use it...

He plays basketball and is much faster on the basketball court - but there is something about baseball that makes him run soo slow...and he gets so sad when he gets out...

Drive behind him in the car with Eye of the Tiger blasting from the speakers :)

But in all seriousness, you can't "make" someone run. Inspiring him will probably work the best or getting someone to do it with him that is motivational.
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, there's an app called Zombies, Run! (or something similar) where zombies will "chase" you. He might consider that fun.

This is so cool! Thanks for recommending this app! What a great idea
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I tie a rope around my waist and drag her down the beach. When she falls, it's more resistance. My quads are looking great!