Trader Joe's suggestions?

Options
jody664
jody664 Posts: 397 Member
I'm meeting a friend for lunch on Sunday near a Trader Joe's. I don't make it up there that often and wonder if anyone has any healthy suggestions for what I should buy there. What are your favorite TJ's products?

Replies

• akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love all of they're prepared salads, though some are pretty calorie dense (just from the dressings, I think.)

Produce is terrible, but you can buy some goat cheese and their pre-cooked beets for a salad, which is always delicious.

Frozen veggies/fish/meat is cheap and pretty good.

There are LOTS of things at TJ's, so you'll have to poke around.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Do a search on the boards, a lot of threads about it.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like their tomato and basil hummus, multigrain pita chips, frozen black bean & corn enchiladas, greek yogurt, and I haven't met a TJ cookie I haven't liked... but I try not to keep those in the house :)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Their cheese and wine prices are great. Love the turkey meatballs. Just about any of the simmer sauces are handy for the slow cooker--pour over some meat (or garbanzos if you're meatless, but then you wouldn't need the slow cooker) and let it go for 6-8 hours. Bruschetta topping. Macarons (frozen--yummy lowish calorie dessert). Frozen rice in bags--organic brown, jasmine, rice medley--microwave in 3-4 minutes, then you top with the stuff in the slow cooker. Grab some hummus, then go over to the chip aisle and look for the pretzel thins--great combo! Women's multivitamins--$10 for a bottle of 150. Jerky--my husband loves the salmon version. The olive oil that has the spout attached. Cinnamon crumpets (fat free or almost so, so surprisingly low cal and quite delicious). Boatswain Chocolate Stout is ridiculously cheap. So are fresh flowers. Oh, and the Belgian chocolate bars that come 5 to a box and are 100 calories each? Yes.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Horseradish hummus and cilantro jalapeno hummus
    Low fat pita chips.

I love these
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Great chips and such, just read the labels. Love love love their greek yogurt and kale dip!! Great fiber cereals, and i always stock up on their indian frozen meals. Actually, i love their frozen prepared meals, the Chinese is easy, quick and yummy. We go with coolers and stock up because the closest is over an hour away. I also stock up on their dog treats cuz they are made in the USA, not china
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    The quiche. I love the quiche.
    Try their low-fat blue chips. 85% cacao chocolate bar.
    Their hummus is delicious. I love their nut butters as well!They sell a delicious chicken wrap and chicken salad.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yes! Their nut butters and fruit butters, apple, pumpkin, etc depending on the time of year!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Flourless wheatberry bread!!!
  • l0velife1
    l0velife1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Their Edamame hummus is to die for! Whatever you do though, don't buy the cookie butter! The hubby and I made this mistake and I crave it 24/7 since trying it. Ugh the joys of trying to eat healthy but buying the most addicting unhealthy thing ever....
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Apples, vanilla ice cream, and dark chocolate truffle candy mmMMmm
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I forgot, if you have cats, get the Tuna for Cats. Mine love it :)
  • buddhaqueen
    Options
    The Orange Chicken and Chicken Potstickers are fab, but I don't think they are particularly low calorie. :o

If you're fiending for sugar, they have a mix of dark chocolate dipped dried berries called (I think) powerberries. I keep them on hand and eat a handful when I really need a sweet treat.

The Margherita pizza is also really good.

I love TJ's so very much!
  • cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use their fresh steamed lentils (packaged in with the produce), a jar of bruschetta sauce (found with the pasta sauces), and crumbled feta to make a delicious dip that I eat with their savory rice crackers. It's higher in sodium, but great protein and otherwise good macros. Oh, and super delicious (pot-luck worthy)!
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I been shopping at Trader Joe's a lot lately. Their prices are so awesome! I mostly go in to buy frozen veggies and fruits because they are so cheap. I also love their hummus and tortilla chips. My kids like their apple cinnomon straws and veggie chips. I also love their popcorn. 2 cups is only 130-150 calories and it always tastes like I just freshly popped it! They also have some pretty good wine. I can spend a lot of time in that store if I didn't have kids with me.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I went into Trader Joe's last week, and i accidentally the whole store. Love that place.
  • dsco86
    dsco86 Posts: 11
    Options
    I love their Soy Creamy Cherry Dark Chocolate Ice Cream.