Strength building and Calories Burned

Options
On Wednesday I posted all the strength building weight exercises I had done on my exercise log. it didn't show ANY calories burned. The cardio I did showed calories burned. So why not the strength training? I did a lot of it and broke a sweat.

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Because it is too hard to calculate burns from doing strength exercises. They will not be accurate even with a HRM. However if you must log them and get extra cals you can find it under cardio "strength training" be warned though it's very inaccurate.
  • weightingitout88
    Options
    I log it under Strength training as well, and usually for a HARD 40minute (and thats stop watch for sets, actual 40 minutes of lifting) it will give me like 130calories burned. Way off.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Use a HRM and find a formula like this one:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/18303-calculate-calories-burned/
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Or don't do this because your heartrate has zero bearing on weight lifting...
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Or realize that EVERYTHING is merely an estimate and only trial and error will provide insight into your accuracy.
  • phjorg
    Options

Or realize that EVERYTHING is merely an estimate and only trial and error will provide insight into your accuracy.
    agreed. So why even bother with a HRM then? leave the dam thing at home and focus on this that are far more important like increasing weight on your sets every workout. If including calorie burn makes you feel better, then just say it was 200 and be done with it. Having a device that does not work for the activity you choose to spit a random number out is pointless.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Well that was a hard workout for me so I'd like some kind of credit! ha!
  • phjorg
    Options
    Well that was a hard workout for me so I'd like some kind of credit! ha!
    your credit is lifting more than you ever have before.
  • 2aycocks
    Options

agreed. So why even bother with a HRM then? leave the dam thing at home and focus on this that are far more important like increasing weight on your sets every workout. If including calorie burn makes you feel better, then just say it was 200 and be done with it. Having a device that does not work for the activity you choose to spit a random number out is pointless.

BTW, you rmisspelled (misspelt) damn.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    Options
    "your heart rate has zero bearing on weight lifting." I am not sure what you mean by this. If you mean to say that your average HR/hour does not impact how much weight you can lift, or how successful a weight-lifting regimen you advance, then that sentence makes sense, but is non-responsive to the OP's question, based at least, on my interpretation of his intent.

If you're saying that you shouldn't bother monitoring your heart rate, or event attempting to estimate effort exerted (using the formula I listed or by other means), you might want to observe the irony of this statement being made on a website literally devoted to attempting to estimate calories in / and calories expended for some purpose of regulating (growing, shrinking, maintaining) one's overall size. So, yes, I think it's a good idea to use simple readily available measures to estimate as best we can exertion in an attempt to conservatively measure calories expended. There are clear limits to this. But guessing or not estimating at all seem woefully remiss as well, and could lead to unintended undesirable consequences as well. (One of the reasons why I am on MFP is that I am not good at guessing how many calories I ate, or how many calories I burned-- I routinely underestimate the former, and overestimate the latter.)
  • 2aycocks
    Options
    "your heart rate has zero bearing on weight lifting." I am not sure what you mean by this. If you mean to say that your average HR/hour does not impact how much weight you can lift, or how successful a weight-lifting regimen you advance, then that sentence makes sense, but is non-responsive to the OP's question, based at least, on my interpretation of his intent.

If you're saying that you shouldn't bother monitoring your heart rate, or event attempting to estimate effort exerted (using the formula I listed or by other means), you might want to observe the irony of this statement being made on a website literally devoted to attempting to estimate calories in / and calories expended for some purpose of regulating (growing, shrinking, maintaining) one's overall size. So, yes, I think it's a good idea to use simple readily available measures to estimate as best we can exertion in an attempt to conservatively measure calories expended. There are clear limits to this. But guessing or not estimating at all seem woefully remiss as well, and could lead to unintended undesirable consequences as well. (One of the reasons why I am on MFP is that I am not good at guessing how many calories I ate, or how many calories I burned-- I routinely underestimate the former, and overestimate the latter.)

Thank YOU!!!
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I looked at the link above, and would like to toss out a slightly different calculator. It's a LITTLE easier for me, since math and I usually can't seem to inhabit the same building.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/
    How to Calculate calories burned weight lifting

I haven't compared the results of the two, but this is the one I use. Some days it results in a MONSTER burn. Other days, it's not so big.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    Options
    I looked at the link above, and would like to toss out a slightly different calculator. It's a LITTLE easier for me, since math and I usually can't seem to inhabit the same building.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

I haven't compared the results of the two, but this is the one I use. Some days it results in a MONSTER burn. Other days, it's not so big.

I use a modified formula that discounts the Livestrong reported method. I like being a little extra conservative in the calculations. One can also add precision by being careful to accurately report weight and age (fractions of years)
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options

Thanks for your comments!!

Not to sound confrontational to phjorg, but;
    Unfortunately there are those in the forum that feel its their duty to throw water on everyone's fire by providing science to make a point that we all "don't understand what a HRM is". While I understand the science, but I also understand that by monitoring HR while strength training, I can increase the intensity of my workouts. Does it give me an accurate rate of calorie burn? No, because the science says it's not. However, when you really look at the science behind the whole HRM, it's ALL an estimate (yes, cardio too) unless you know your VO2 and can enter that as a profile parameter. I like to use my HRM as a measure of knowing I had a intense workout and did indeed burn calories. And since this isn't bodybuilding.com (thank God), most here will forgive me for using estimated an calorie burn based on my HRM knowing that my intent isn't to deceive anyone here or look macho ... it's just to let me know I've done what I set out to do ... work hard. And since I eat well below my TDEE daily, I don't think it will have a bearing on weight. Yes, HR does not directly coincide with calories burned during weight training ... but I don't care ... I still use it and think its a great way to gauge a workout. My $.02
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options

I use a modified formula that discounts the Livestrong reported method. I like being a little extra conservative in the calculations. One can also add precision by being careful to accurately report weight and age (fractions of years)

Makes sense. On the days I have horribly low nets, I might look into that one. But, since the scale and tape measure are still in agreement, I'm content to just muddle through with the problem of having the low numbers. But, I'm also still a noob when it comes to calculating/estimating lifting burns.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I count it as 500 calories every time I have a solid lifting session. But that's largely because I'm willing to end up with a small surplus on lifting days.
  • phjorg
    Options
    if you use heartrate and not the weight on the barbell to measure resistance training intensity then you're doing lifting laughably wrong. here's the truth. the energy system your body used to do resistance training has nothing to do with heartrate. sure wear one if you want. or just make up any random value around 400. that has just as much value as your hrm number..
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

Thanks for your comments!!

Not to sound confrontational to phjorg, but;
    Unfortunately there are those in the forum that feel its their duty to throw water on everyone's fire by providing science to make a point that we all "don't understand what a HRM is". While I understand the science, but I also understand that by monitoring HR while strength training, I can increase the intensity of my workouts. Does it give me an accurate rate of calorie burn? No, because the science says it's not. However, when you really look at the science behind the whole HRM, it's ALL an estimate (yes, cardio too) unless you know your VO2 and can enter that as a profile parameter. I like to use my HRM as a measure of knowing I had a intense workout and did indeed burn calories. And since this isn't bodybuilding.com (thank God), most here will forgive me for using estimated an calorie burn based on my HRM knowing that my intent isn't to deceive anyone here or look macho ... it's just to let me know I've done what I set out to do ... work hard. And since I eat well below my TDEE daily, I don't think it will have a bearing on weight. Yes, HR does not directly coincide with calories burned during weight training ... but I don't care ... I still use it and think its a great way to gauge a workout. My $.02

I agree. It helps me gauge my intensity. My HRM has the fit test and gives VO2. I like seeing when I do low rep/heavier vs high rep lighter what the differences are. I'm getting very familiar with my heart-rate during workouts and where it stands for intensity. Right now I prefer the higher fat-burn. So all in all, it's a great tool to use during weight training, IMO.
  • phjorg
    Options
    you guage intensity by the amount of weight on the bar... and how many times you move it. i mean this is the basics of resistance training.. I'm still baffled how people think their heartrate means anything.. you do know the energy systems used in lifting dont use oxygen right?
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    Under Cardiovascular search for:

Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort

you can put in he time for your work out and see a little result with this. just make sure you know you are only lying to yourself so if you feel you have not burnt as many calories at it says reduce the time so he calories burnt is less.

Hope this is a good temp solution :)