Planet Fitness Gym question

Options
2»

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You all are kind of making me feel like crap (my emotional state is questionable at this current point, but still.)

I JUST got a membership to PF and I've been so excited about it! And now everybody is making me feel like I made the wrong decision. It's clean, the equipment is nice, and it's only "boring" if you're a stiff who doesn't know how to entertain themselves. Also, I'm a poor young professional, and $10 a month is rad.

To the OP: I would suggest the $10 option. Maybe it's because I'm white as snow, but I don't think the contract and the extra money is worth the tanning bed and massage chair. Plus, there's no obligation, so if you hate it (as people are obviously trying to get you to do) you can cancel your membership.

Ironically, the very kind of people who are making you feel like crap in this thread are usually not found at a PF, which is why I don't mind it so much. So, no worries!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You all are kind of making me feel like crap (my emotional state is questionable at this current point, but still.)

I JUST got a membership to PF and I've been so excited about it! And now everybody is making me feel like I made the wrong decision. It's clean, the equipment is nice, and it's only "boring" if you're a stiff who doesn't know how to entertain themselves. Also, I'm a poor young professional, and $10 a month is rad.

To the OP: I would suggest the $10 option. Maybe it's because I'm white as snow, but I don't think the contract and the extra money is worth the tanning bed and massage chair. Plus, there's no obligation, so if you hate it (as people are obviously trying to get you to do) you can cancel your membership.

I don't understand why it would make you feel like crap. There are going to be things about it that work for some people and not for others. It obviously works for you. What difference does it make whether or not it works for anyone else?
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I joined my local Planet Fitness in August 2012. It was cheap and close to my house. I like it. For my weight loss, I first started just with walking and swimming but I wanted to add some weight training and use cardio machines when the weather was bad. Since then, I have lost about 80 pounds (180 pounds in total). I was a little intimidated at first (this was the first gym that I ever joined) but I like it. I go 6 days a week and lift weights and do cardio. At my gym, the dumb bells go up to 75 pounds which is more than I need. They don't use the lunk alarm but it's there. Once, there were some guys dropping weights and the worker came over and asked them to not drop the weights. I paid $100 for a one year membership. I only wish they would open a little earlier on Saturday morning. I swim at the local high school where I get an annual pass for $90. For $190 a year, I have access to a pool for good lap swim, cardio machines, and weights. I don't really need classes or a trainer. I just do my own thing and it works for me. If you don't know how or what to lift, check out some free videos online like bodybuilding.com or Youtube. Check out local pools at schools or colleges if you want to do lap swim.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I travel to NY a lot for work, so I recently bought a Planet Fitness membership for when I'm in town. . It's open 24 hours and its cheap. Most gyms in NY charge close to 100 a month, while I pay 10 for PF. If you need something basic, on a budget, go for it. If you like classes and want a trainer or a pool, this is not the place for you. My only complaint is how busy it is. PF is like the hangout or meeting spot because it is often crowded and people aren't even necessarily working out.
  • karennh65
    karennh65 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Planet Fitness is a gym designed exclusively for people whose goal is weight loss. If you have any other goal really, it's not for you. But if weight loss is your goal, it's not THAT bad.
    [/quote]

Not so sure your statement is true. I was on a mission to lose weight. 2 years at PF and lost only around 10 years. I now belong to a gym that has all the free weights, machines, cardio as well as classes. Step, Pump, Zumba Combat..........that is where my weight loss has come from. 20lbs in 5 months. I found that I push myself harder in a class environment than trying to figure things out for myself.

Not to mention, PF's Personal Training is nothing but showing you how to use the machines and setting up a routine that you need to follow on your own.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I currently belong to a PF and it works for me at this time in my life. I quit a more expensive gym with all the frills and classes I never got around to taking because the personal trainers were always bugging me, trying to get my $$. I did not want to work with a personal trainer because I had worked with one from that gym who messed up my back (herniated discs). So I quit when one night there was one guy who wouldn't leave me alone and told me how I could lose SO MUCH more weight with him, and made fun of the way I walk, and I could really lose weight if I worked with him but not if I didn't, when I had already lost over 80 lbs. PF leaves me alone... you would have to really go out of your way to get their attention. Also in grad school, and doing various programs like Body Revolution at home, so I'm totally psyched that I have a gym 24/7 at my disposal for $10/mo. Its' exactly what I need right now, although I could definitely see a time in my life where I go back to the more expensive gym with the frills. Just not now.
  • Absterdam
    Absterdam Posts: 50
    Options
    I LOVE planet fitness! I've lost over 40 LBs going there so far mainly using the elliptical and arc trainer. I've also finally starting seeing some muscle tone by regularly using their weight circuits as well. I have a lot of weight left to lose, so maybe when I get closer to my goal I may (or may not) want to switch it up to a gym that has a full weight training area. But for now this is has been great for me. And who cares if they offer pizza or bagels. If you don't like it, don't eat it, simple as that. Self control.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I heard you can't drop weights or grunt

I heard that too ..I also heard that you can't deadlift there..WTF is that? any gym that bans deadlifting sucks IMO...

OP you would be better with anytime fitness or any other gym that actually allows you to work out...