Milk

Suwanna
Suwanna Posts: 9
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Does any one know if full fat milk would be better for one, Since no fat milk has a high sugar count. Bearing in mind one also has high cholestrol....

Replies

• sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Have you tried Almond milk its very good no worries for your cholestrol
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Time to clear up some misconceptions about milk:

First of all, there is little difference in the sugar content of whole milk (13g) and skim milk (11 g) per 8 oz.

As far as Almond milk, it is actually HIGHER in sugar than the other two --15g per 8 oz.
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    A personal trainer recently told me if I am going to have milk then to go for the whole variety. He said this is because skimmed is stripped of essential amnio acids. I dont know how right that is (he also gave some rather odd advice) but since he said it I have been having a mix of whole and skimmed. I'll tend to have whole on my oatmeal in the morning then if I have milk at any other time I go for skimmed.

Coconut milk is a good alternative. I recently bought a carton by Kara that was only 29 calories per 100ml.

(Btw, Skimmed milk has more calcium per 100ml than whole, if you are looking for that)
  • mzmoonlight
    Scrap my last advice about milk!! I saw a nutritionist today who told me that there is no need to change to whole milk from skimmed for essential fatty acids... if you eat enough eggs, nuts, oily fish and other good fats...
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Oh essential fatty acids! haha you wrote essential amino acids in the first post and I was thinking 'but skim milk has more protein than whole...'

Definitely go with a low fat option and I absolutely agree that this sugar in different types of milk myth that seems to be going around is rubbish.
  • mzmoonlight
    yeah... the sugar thing, the PT I saw got a bee in his bonnet about sugar/carbs in skimmed milk but so what you cant avoid it completely and its not like its a bar of chocolate lol....
This discussion has been closed.