Road Bikes

Options
I am buying my first road bike. I am going for an entry level road bike and am currently debating between a Masi and a Trek. Does anyone have any opinions - good or bad?

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Giant Defy is what i have. it's a good, inexpensive entry-level bike
  • drosen32
    drosen32 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't know about Masi, but I own two Treks. I'm happy with both. Probably as important as the bike is the bike shop. Make sure they're good. Mine gives 6 months worth of free small tune-ups with my newer Trek. Check out the components and make sure they're good. Happy riding!
  • ravenwork
    ravenwork Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    All three of those are fine. Bikes are a lot like cars. You need to be ready to buy, then you just put them on the road. Based upon what you can and want to afford, buy the one you like the best. Seriously, the road test is key.
  • blkpag1
    blkpag1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Test ride all that you are looking at. You will find that you like certain bikes more than others due to frame geometry. Most entry level bikes tend to be pretty equal quality and performance wise.
  • jhealy1191
    jhealy1191 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ive heard good things about both. I personally have a Fuji and love it. Shop around and dont be afraid to ask to take one for a test ride. Id suggest looking at last years models also. Similar to cars, a brand new bike from the previous year may have a couple hundred dollars knocked off.
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi GF my husband has been riding since 92 he says frame geometries are different between companies and individual models of bikes so test ride both and which ever one you feel more comfortable on that is your bike. My husband likes trek.
    also here is a link to a group on here where you might get more answers
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/344-bicycling-road-and-mountain
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with the test drive advice. I have a Giant Via and it was the first bike I test drove and I loved it. But I waited to tried a lot of other bikes before I made my final decision.

My husband got an old Peugeot off of Craigslist and it has been great for him so if you are unsure you can always try to find a used bike at a discount and see how you like riding before you make a bigger investment.
  • gracjm
    gracjm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You will find that everyone with a bike has an opinion. They're usually biased toward what they have. I would recommend googling "Buying your first road bike" and doing plenty of reading. Trek, Masi, Giant, etc all make decent bikes. Almost all of them are made in SE Asia anyway.

You will need to figure out what type of bike you want first. There are a lot of types from mountain bikes, hybrid (on/off road), urban or city bikes capable of carrying some groceries, bikes for touring and carrying gear and race bikes geared for speed or endurance. Are you going to ride with a local group? Stick to neighborhoods and paved streets? Occasionally travel on dirt walking trails? If a bike shop is trying to steer or push you into buying - Leave and find another. There are LBSs out there interested in matching people with the right bike and making sure they are happy.

Once you figure out what type you want, go to a local bike shop and let them help you figure out what size frame or bike will fit you.The you can look around on Craigs list or deals at local bike shops. The new year models start coming out in April/May. The cheaper models (less then $1000) are first. The highest end new models ($5000+) usually don't come out until August. If the new models are out for the bike you want, you can expect 20% off the original cost of last years bike.

The two best tips I saw posted are 1) Make sure you ride the bike and it is comfortable for you. 2) Check Craigs list. Chances are - if you ride any amount at all and decide you like it and want to keep it up, you will want to upgrade your first bike. New bikes lose half their value the 1st year. I have seen a lot of good deals on craigs list if you know what you want and are willing to wait.

I will also recommend, 3) Get a good helmet and wear it. I know at least 4 people that helmets saved their lives. 4) Attend a bike safety course and get safety lights for you bike. Most LBSs have them.

Most importantly, *have fun and be safe*. I can't say enough good about biking. I still feel like a kid out riding sometimes and I'm 53 years old. I hope to log about 5K miles this year before I take a break in December to have a hip replacement. I have 5 bikes. Trek, Specialized, Custom built touring by Bruce Gordon and Colnago. I bought my daughter a Trek Neko SL for Christmas. I put a topeak explorer rack on the back and get her a trunk bag and it's a very nice urban cruiser capable of hitting the trails if need be.

Your welcome to send me a message if you have specific questions. I'll be happy to help to the extent I can.

~Jim
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Jim's advice is really good. I also did a ton of internet research when I was looking for a bike. I ended up with an urban cruiser and got a basket for groceries, etc. I ride to the farmers market and have used it for commuting, too. We also take rides in general for fun and exercise.

I did attend a bike safety class about how to ride on roads and it was very helpful, that is excellent advice. I have lived in some pretty busy urban areas with this bike and knowing how to ride in traffic is very helpful and makes you much safer. And yes you must wear a helmet, wearing one probably saved my husband's life recently when he was struck by a car.
  • elizcarman
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your input! I definitely will insist upon test rides and see what feels best. :flowerforyou: