Hamburger Buns in Under an Hour

Options
calibriintx
calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
I'm sure this has been shared here, or something like it, but I'm too full and lazy to look right now. These buns are SUPER easy. Even if you've never made bread or aren't much of a cook, they're pretty fool proof. They're not low-cal or or low-fat or low-anything. They're just really, really amazing buns.

They're fluffy with just the right amount of chew, and hearty enough to be able to handle a tasty burger and lots of veggies without falling apart. You can also roll them in your hands and make hot dog buns. Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 cup milk
½ cup water
2 tablespoons honey
¼ cup butter
1 egg, room temperature
4-1/2 cups bread flour (okay to sub all purpose)
1 package active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg yolk
Poppy seeds for sprinkling on top before baking

Instructions

Heat the milk, water, honey and butter until butter is melted. Check temperature and let cool to 120F. Beat in egg.
Mix 2 cups of the flour, yeast and salt. Mix into the milk mixture.

Stir in the rest of the flour, ½ cup at a time. Beat well after each addition. When the dough pulls together, (it will form a soft ball) turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. This should take about 5 minutes. I use a stand mixer and just use the dough hook. Add a little more flour while mixing with the dough hook, a little at a time until dough is no longer sticky.

Divide the dough into 10-12 equal parts. I use my kitchen scale to do this so all the buns come out the same size and I get exactly the number of buns I want. 4 ounces of dough for each one turns out a 4" bun.

Shape the dough into smooth balls, flatten slightly and place on parchment covered baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic film and allow to rise 40 minutes*. When buns have almost doubled bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes.

*If desired, after buns have risen, brush tops with beaten egg yolk for a shiny glaze. Sprinkle with poppy seeds before baking.

Adapted from wiveswithknives recipe.

ETA: 279 cal, 10 protein, 6 fat, 45 carbs per bun