Infrared Sauna

Options
Just wondering where an infrared sauna would come in. I know that I can burn up to 600 calories, but how do I know, and where do I input it?

Replies

• shann1979
    shann1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump. I'm curious too.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to add it as calories burned, you can add an exercise almost like adding a recipe to the food log, then it will be in your personal exercise list as an option.
    -Click on Exercise tab, then click "my exercises" which will allow you to add (its on the right side of the screen.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    And how do you burn 600 calories sitting in a sauna?

The claims made by manufacturers an intentional misrepresentation of the energy absorbed by perspiration evaporating from the skin. You may sweat more but you're not expending additional calories......it's advertising hype (along the same line as sauna suits etc)
  • Justmeanyway
    Justmeanyway Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I put my polar strap on and after an hour and half of sitting in mine it says 730 cal 1
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Your hr was higher because you were hot not because you were exercising. So I guess you can burn tons of calories sun bathing too?
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Water weight loss, and sweat....... hmmmm, dehydration causes weight loss too :smiley:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This is a 3 year old thread....

Surely it would need to be a microwave to heat you from the inside out?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    And infrared sauna is different than a typical sauna in that it heats you up from your core. This causes your heart rate to accelerate in a way similar to exercise. It is accurate that you can burn 400 cal in a 30 minute session of sitting in an infrared sauna. There have been many studies done on this. I use one 4 times a week and it has many benefits in addition to weight loss. It helps eliminate toxins that your body can’t get rid of on its own bc the infrared penetrates the skin 2 inches and helps push them out. It also boost your immunity bc your body sends out more white blood cells when it’s internal temp rises. I also no longer have to take blood pressure medicine. It is the best thing I have ever done for my health.

There have been many studies done? Cite one.....
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    And infrared sauna is different than a typical sauna in that it heats you up from your core. This causes your heart rate to accelerate in a way similar to exercise. It is accurate that you can burn 400 cal in a 30 minute session of sitting in an infrared sauna. There have been many studies done on this. I use one 4 times a week and it has many benefits in addition to weight loss. It helps eliminate toxins that your body can’t get rid of on its own bc the infrared penetrates the skin 2 inches and helps push them out. It also boost your immunity bc your body sends out more white blood cells when it’s internal temp rises. I also no longer have to take blood pressure medicine. It is the best thing I have ever done for my health.

Ummm... WTH does heart rate have to do with calories burned? Combining 2 myths does not suddenly make them true.

Please show me these studies.