How to flavor quinoa?

Options
Everytime I make quinoa it turns out bland and dry. I have tried using chicken broth instead of water but it tastes the same to me. I would really like to eat it more but it just doesn't taste very good to me. What can I add that won't make my calories go way up yet tastes good?

Replies

• bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Be sure you rinse it, because I find it bitter if you don't. Add spices or herbs like you would to rice or pasta. Add mire poix, which makes everything better.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I usually cook it with garlic and a little bit of onion. Have fun with the garlic - I eat raw garlic, so as you can imagine I like to go overboard. Stock is a good idea as well! It honestly depends on your taste buds though, if you're used to really salty processed foods then I can imagine quinoa is a bit boring.

Remember not to have it by itself though! I have it as a rice replacement :)
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump! I have the same problem!
  • Lay821
    Lay821 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    try chopped red onions green peppers ground turkey, chicken or beef
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Be sure you rinse it, because I find it bitter if you don't. Add spices or herbs like you would to rice or pasta. Add mire poix, which makes everything better.

yes i forgot to mention this! I am sure to rinse mine really thoroughly, even rub it between my fingers to get the bitter bit from the surface. I then put it in a pan with a tiny bit of olive oil and roast the quinoa until it starts popping - this is when you add water/stock and cook until fluffy :)
  • Sweetbelle159
    Sweetbelle159 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I add a little knob of fresh ginger and I always cook mine in chicken stock
  • leonaedithlewis
    leonaedithlewis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you go on Pinterest and search "quinoa" you will find hundreds of tasty Recipies using quinoa.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I use some butter, cilantro and lime juice.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love to eat for breakfast cook 1/4c Quinoa, 1/2c water, 1/2c Milk, 1 Apple, 2 T Walnut and 2t of cinnamon
  • kaj44
    kaj44 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is fresh lime juice and cilantro....................yum! You can actually use quina anyway you would use rice. After is cooked, stir fry it with various veggies and a bit of low sodium soy..................or just add tomatoes, onions, and franks..........or spinach, feta cheese, red onions................................the possibilities are endless.....................
  • Ipalavra
    Ipalavra Posts: 32
    Options
    I rinse mine thoroughly then I like to add a lot of cumin. That's all I use but then again I actually enjoy the taste of plain quinoa when cooked just right and fluffy. Another good one to add to anything is Mrs. Dash or a pre-made Mediterranean herb mix.
  • blueberryoatmeal80
    blueberryoatmeal80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all your useful info!! :) I definitely rinse. Didn't the first time and I learned my lesson. I will have to experiment with spices a little more, I like things a little spicy. What is the difference between regular quinoa and the red quinoa? Is it just the color or is there a flavor difference?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I like to cook it with butter and onion then walk it over to the bin and throw it out, awful stuff. j/k
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy. I buy the pre-rinsed quinoa. :)

Lots of good ideas here. I just toast it a bit, cook in chicken broth, and add whatever herb sounds good. It's an awesome rice replacement. I haven't made it in awhile, so I guess it's time to revisit it!
  • MrsSandra
    MrsSandra Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Quinoa mixed with diced chicken breast, avocado oil, steamed spinach, raw garlic, fresh raw tomatoes, fresh squeezed lime juice and a sprinkle of Himalayan Pink sea salt. DELICIOUS!

Ancient Harvest Organic Traditional - Quinoa, 1/8 cup dry
    Generic - Fresh Raw Garlic, 3 clove
    Kirkland - Himalayan Pink Sea Salt, 1/4 tsp.
    Great Value - Avocado, 0.33 medium
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 0.25 cup, chopped or diced
    Generic - Fresh Squeezed Lime, 1 small
    Windset Farms Grape Tomatoes (Costco - Grape Tomatoes, 100 grams

Makes a great complete meal especially if you add steamed spinach for close to 0 calories

Under 300 calories, 6 fiber, 17 protein, 28 carb

285 30 6 17 28 0
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat quinia is with roasted veggies tossed with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. And lots of garlic. If I'm preparing it for breakfast... its with agave and cinnamon.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Add it to homemade soups too...other than that I dont like it either!
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump. going to try this. my sister loves it but I haven't aquired a taste yet. like the garlic idea. love garlic!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Quinoa mixed with diced chicken breast, avocado oil, steamed spinach, raw garlic, fresh raw tomatoes, fresh squeezed lime juice and a sprinkle of Himalayan Pink sea salt. DELICIOUS!

Ancient Harvest Organic Traditional - Quinoa, 1/8 cup dry
    Generic - Fresh Raw Garlic, 3 clove
    Kirkland - Himalayan Pink Sea Salt, 1/4 tsp.
    Great Value - Avocado, 0.33 medium
    Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 0.25 cup, chopped or diced
    Generic - Fresh Squeezed Lime, 1 small
    Windset Farms Grape Tomatoes (Costco - Grape Tomatoes, 100 grams

Makes a great complete meal especially if you add steamed spinach for close to 0 calories

Under 300 calories, 6 fiber, 17 protein, 28 carb

saving this!

285 30 6 17 28 0
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    add nuts, honey and fruit too!