HRM's

donna56
donna56 Posts: 412
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Can anyone tell me what is a good hrm and the price range? Just what do they do beside tell you your heart rate? :huh:

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Prices can range from $20 to $150+. With HRMs, you get what you pay for so try to stay away from the $20 ones. I got mine from Amazon for $75 and it does a ton of stuff, and I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do! The HRMs do all sorts of things so it all depends on what you want, so I suggest you just research the different models and choose one that works best for you. Link to mine and the polars are below to help you get started. Try to get one with a chest strap as they're the most accurate.

Mine - Oregon Scientific SE300: http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/oregon_scientific/product.asp?itmky=917140&model=SE300&cat=4&subcat=&sortby=&filtermfg=&page=

Others on MFP swear by Polar (F4, F7 models), so you might want to check out what they have: http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/
  • donna56
    OMG! My soon 2 b dh is going to kill me! I just ordered a Polar F4 heart rate monitor. Should get it in 2-5 days. I didn't get a $20.00 one, it was $74.00. Yikes! Oh well, I'm worth it :wink:
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Just wanted to chime in....I bought a cheaper pro-form HRM on a website called woot.com for about $30...it doesn't have all the fitness programs that the polar models do, but it does track calories and saves 20 or so workouts. Basically, it's fine for me, and my only complaint is that if I'm sitting near someone in spin class who's also wearing a HRM sometimes the watch picks up the signal from both and tells me my heart rate is 240!

So, if you're looking for a HRM, make sure it tracks calories burned. And if you go to crowded classes where other ppl. wear HRMs, you might want to get one of the brands that encodes the signal so it doesn't cross.

Let me know how you like your Polar-- I might upgrade sometime in the future, and my b/f is also looking for a HRM.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    My husband bought mine for me. He went to ****'s to get it and asked the sale person what they would recommend. The sale person asked me what I wanted it to do. It depends on your level of intensity. The once that come with chest straps are the most accurate. I have the Polar F6 it was $108 give or take a dollar. It shows you your heart rate target, duration and calories burned. It has a weekly report of your total workouts at the end of the week. I like it.
  • donna56
    Just wanted to chime in....I bought a cheaper pro-form HRM on a website called woot.com for about $30...it doesn't have all the fitness programs that the polar models do, but it does track calories and saves 20 or so workouts. Basically, it's fine for me, and my only complaint is that if I'm sitting near someone in spin class who's also wearing a HRM sometimes the watch picks up the signal from both and tells me my heart rate is 240!

So, if you're looking for a HRM, make sure it tracks calories burned. And if you go to crowded classes where other ppl. wear HRMs, you might want to get one of the brands that encodes the signal so it doesn't cross.

Let me know how you like your Polar-- I might upgrade sometime in the future, and my b/f is also looking for a HRM.

The one I ordered is not coded, but that's fine for me. I only work out at home :smile: :blushing:

208998.png
  • donna56

I just got my HRM yesterday and at first I didn't have it programed correctly so when I did my 100 min lawn mowing, it said O calories burned! Needless to say I was pretty burned too! I got it programed right then jumped on the treadmill and it worked wonderfully :happy: After it gets programed, it lets you know your lowest heart rate zone - to your highest zone and if you go over your zone, it beeps to warn you. I really like it. Mine is not coded, but like I said the other day, I work out at home. Zumba dvd's, treadmill, and now mowing the lawn. It stores your weekly workout data also, but I don't exactly know how to do that yet, I was in to big of a hurry to get started using it :embarassed: Patience is not one of my good points.:wink: Everyone that I have talked to, says the Polar brand is the way to go.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    I just ordered the Polar FT4 ($75) - can't wait to get it!
  • donna56
    I just ordered the Polar FT4 ($75) - can't wait to get it!

That's the one I ordered. Yours has the chest strap right?
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Yup! Can't wait to get it.
This discussion has been closed.