400 cals in 20 minutes?!?

Options

Replies

• SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too. Some of the numbers just seem so unrealistic. I actually lower them by 100 to 150 when I log them, just so that I don't go overboard on my calories. I guess I'm going to have to get a HRM too.
  • seventeenlucky77
    seventeenlucky77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Now see I can enter my weight on the elliptical but that is it. The elliptical does have some kind of sensors that monitor my heart rate. I am 26 yrs old, 5'3 1/2, 227lbs. and today I did 26 mins on the elliptical during lunch at lvl 15 and it said I burned 305 calories. So that is slightly over 11 1/5 calories a minute. I would like to invest in a heart rate monitor too myself as well.
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM with a chest strap. I'm 5'6", 148 pounds, and I burn about 10 calories a minute with moderate to intense exercise. I think the caloric burn on machines is well over what it actually is. Oftentimes, when I hit the 100 calorie mark on the HRM, the machine will say I'm at 180 or 190.

Don't trust machines - get a HRM!
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    So I did a little test the other day for this, and when I increased the resistance quite severely I got up to 14.2 cals / minute according to my HRM. Just for info :happy:
  • willhayes91
    Options
    Hi,

I know this is an old post but thought I would add an input!

I am 21, and use the Cross-Trainer 3 times a week for 15 minutes each time. At Level 14, I keep my RPM up at around 95-100 and Heart Rate is usually hovering around 187, so obviously pushing myself.

At this rate I generally burn around 290-300 calories during the 15 minutes, upping to 20 minutes in the next couple of weeks.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    If you are not a trained athelete, sustaining more then 10cal/min is very hard. So it is really doubtful.
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm a 52 year old male, 214lbs, 5'11" and at the gym an hour ago I did 30 minutes on the Elliptical at not less than level 10 during which I covered 6 miles and my HRM reported I burned 403 calories. I had also entered my weight and age into the machine and it reported a burn of 496 calories. The heart rate it was showing at various points during the time was within a beat or 2 of that which my HRM was showing. I'm going with my HRM for the burn.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    No. Id say about 90cal per 10 min. And you burn less fat when your heart rate is too high. Research aerobic vs anaerobic exercise.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I would knock at least 100 cals off if you're going to log it.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    400 calories in 20 minutes would be a phenomenal exertion level - at 180lbs and keeping my heart rate generally into the 160s on the ellipticals at my gym, my readout is generally around 300 calories for 20 minutes.

400 in 20 I would say is possible, but approaches superhuman standards, haha.
    And you burn less fat when your heart rate is too high. Research aerobic vs anaerobic exercise.

You do burn a smaller percentage of fat in the cardio zone versus the "fat burning" zone, but generally the overall increase in calories burned ensures that the fat burned evens out, if not exceeds, that burned in the "fat burning" zone.. and then the other calories have to be replenished somehow too. It's good to hit both ranges though, I think!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I don't have an HRM, and don't trust the numbers on the machines at the gym, I always take off 200 or 300 calories burned at the end of my workout ( depending onhow long I am on a machine) usually from 20 - 40 min a time , although my heartrate on the machine says its up to 176 at times, I t could be possible, but I doubt it...I really should get a HRM lol
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Ask Santa for a HRM for Christmas :)
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    I don't think it's THAT high, just a little. On the elliptical I do 30 minutes at ~152 bpm then 30 minutes at ~ 135 bpm - this is usually level 17/25 then 12/25. Ellipitcal usually says ~500 calories first 30 min then ~400 second 30. HRM says ~525 first 30 and ~475 second 30.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Ask Santa for a HRM for Christmas :)

I think I just might :wink:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I doubt olympic athletes burn 400 cals in 20 minutes.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Way off.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    That does sound high. I use an elliptical and on the one I use, at moderate sustained effort, I burn about 300 calories in a bit over half an hour. I suppose your numbers are possible ....but seems unlikely.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    sounds high to me, elliptical at my gym are normally about 100cals to high for 30 min. sessions compared to my hrm ... personally I average about 10 cals a min.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I'd be surprised if it was much over 200 in 20 minutes... even if you're huffing and puffing and sweating...
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No, it does not sound right. Way too high.