I'm too fat, he's too skinny

Options
My husband just got discharged from the hospital. He has a sick liver and he had a horrible infection in his leg. Anyway, we are the same height; 5'6" and he weights only129 and I way .... much more.

How/what do I cook? I need to lose the wieght and he needs to gain weigh!

Well, actually, I am fine with my food. I try to eat all organic, no processed foods. Cutting down on sugar and white flour etc. etc. and I'm losing weight fine. But my husband needs to gain weight.

I've been givin him Ensure Drinks and they are great but I need some kind of healthy food idea's that are high calorie. His sugar intake has been way over because I am trying to find high calorie foods that he likes and so far this has been only stuff like ice cream, pie, home made strawberry shakes...

So, I need some idea's on lots of healthy, high calorie foods for him.

I don't look forward to all this cooking separete meals for us (I hate to cook) but I will do whatever it takes to help him get healthier and gain some weight and help me stay healthy and continue to lose wieght.
THANKS for any ideas.

Replies

• elleloulou
    Options
    Oh I hope people have some good suggestions on this :)
    My and my partner are the same. He hasnt been sick just has a ridiculous metabolism which is hard to cook for when im limiting things :)
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Extra helpings, cheese on top, more dressings and sauces.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, nuts, and olive oil. Also make extra for him to eat. You could also make him some protein shakes, that can boost up his calorie count.

Good luck and hope he feels better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • Brenda4105
    Brenda4105 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a friend whose daughter needed to gain weight, they told her to eat peanut butter - it is very high in fat but a great source of protein, bagels and cream cheese, & milkshakes. No cooking involved with those. Eat as much as they want to gain weight. Oh and whole milk was another thing.
    Best of luck.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Roast him veggies in olive oil - more than you would use for yourself

Peanut butter, trail mix, other nuts, avocados (sneak them into smoothies)
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I deal with the same issue- I have to make sure I'm not eating too much, and DH is on meds that depress his appetite. He's 74 and supposed to be watching his cholesterol, but we buy a pint of super-premium ice cream every week and that's his. Fortunately, he's not enamored of the things that really tempt me (basically anything loaded with frosting). Nuts, including peanut butter, are calorie-dense and not too bad for you. I always make sure we have a good supply of pistachios or almonds.
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    Peanut Butter and Guacamole. Both Yummy, and high calorie.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Is your last name Sprat?
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    What kind of liver problem? That will have an impact on what you should make for him. For example, if he's had hepatic encephalopathy he may need protein restriction. If he has portal hypertension, he may need fluid and sodium restriction. Etc, etc, etc....

Perhaps you should ask his physician or a dietitian instead of an internet forum.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Is your last name Sprat?

LOL
  • xMallie
    xMallie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Is he able to eat avocado? It's full of nutritional benefits. Probably stay away from the processed foods... They're just dangerous (Although I am unsure what his problem is with his liver, if he had a fatty one McDonalds wouldn't help at all, even though they help gain weight!)
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'd go with good, healthy home cooking, but he gets double portions, dressings/toppings, sides as well

More importantly, think about his snacks - dried fruit and nuts, nut butters, avocado, cheese are all high cals for minimal bulk. Any bread products will up his cals substantially, as will meal replacement shakes either with his meals or with snacks
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Outside of a medical diagnosis I would say to cook like you have been but double up his portions. However, I agree with the poster who said to consult with his doctor to make sure he doesn't have any dietary restrictions.
    If not, extra butter, oil, cheese, etc for him!
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Fatty cuts of steak :)
  • junemiller
    junemiller Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have his Dr refer him to a nutritionist. You don't want to load him up on fats. There are diets designed to be heart healthy and still help him achieve a healthy weight.
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    hi i have the same problem what i do is when we have garlic bread and a salad with our pasta i give him my bread and and half of my pasta and he gives me half of his salad .
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have a son that needs to gain weight (not for the same reason) and his doctor suggested making milkshakes and ensure but also suggested adding 2 tbs of cream to his milk, add extra cheese where ever I can to his plate, snack on nuts, regular salad dressings, avocados,and add mayonnaise to his sandwiches.

I make him a smoothie for him with milk with a little cream (I have used ensure), peanut butter, banana, and nesquick with ice that is tasty and helps with the cals.

Good Luck
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    Hmm, I'll try to give you some suggestions that don't involve cooking many extra meals/extra expense:

- when you make rice/pasta/carbs, give him 2/3 and you have 1/3 of the carbs
    - he could snack on nuts, peanut butter or cheese sandwiches between meals
    - sprinkle cheese on his meal / dressing on his salads (have your plain)
    - have full fat milk for him, skimmed for you
    - have full fat yogurts for him, diet versions for you

These should make your dietary intakes at least a few hundred cals different a day.

Best of luck to both of you!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Extra helpings, cheese on top, more dressings and sauces.

Make side dishes that you won't eat for him like potatoes with heavy cream, pasta, etc.