Thoughts on BBC's "Truth about Exercise" Documentary?

Options
Was just wondering if anyone else had seen this documentary by the same man, Moseley, who did the "Eat, Fast, & Live Longer" documentary, and what your thoughts were. Did you try to incorporate any of the ideas into your fitness routine?

Thought the idea of Super Responders (15% of people) and Non-Responders (so sorry for the 20% of people in this group) was interesting. I think I'm a Super Responder, because whenever I get back on a fitness track, I tend to get results quickly. At least the Non-Responders do get some minimal benefit.

Didn't incorporate the 3 min/week exercise program, because it's just really hard for me to believe it would be as beneficial as at least 30 min/day. Guess I'm just resistant;

But I did really like the gentleman that had done the studies on just burning calories through the course of your day, by standing rather than sitting, by walking vs standing still, stairs vs escalators, just moving as much as possible. For a long time I've worn 5 lb ankle weights on each ankle when I'm in my home, just to burn a little more as I go about my daily activities. Think I'll also get one of those exercise balls to sit on when I'm at my computer at home too. They say it really works your core too.

So what do you think? Did you try anything from the documentary? And if you haven't seen the documentary yet, here's the link...

Replies

• melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks, will check it out!
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I caught the end of the programme and found it very interesting. As you've posted the link I will watch the whole thing.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    yes! thank you for posting, I was watching the other night and fell asleep, lol.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Interesting programme. Like you, I am not going to do just 3 minutes every couple of days. Not sure I could lift that quickly for a start!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    So, he's a guy that hates to exercise so he's trying to prove its not needed or something? We already know that. Lol. Not sure what the point is. But, if you want to be fit, you have to exercise. Standing up and sitting on an exercise ball is not exercise. Lol.

Have you actually watched the documentary? Because your comments make it sound like you think this was just the reporter's opinion, instead of ideas based on research results that were provided in the documentary. I understand what you're saying about exercise, but if you watch the video, then you might agree w/it more than you realize...except the 3 min/week workout.

ADDED NOTE: BTW, in the documentary, they're not saying you should just try to stand instead of sit, stairs instead of elevators, etc in isolation...they're just saying that people are healthier the more they can move throughout their day, whether w/workouts OR daily activities. People who move throughout their day actually have better health than those who do a hard workout once a day, then are sedentary the rest of the day. So the researcher just said we should move throughout the day as much as possible.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I liked this program, but it's something I've been reading bits and bytes about over the past few months. I plan on incorporating this kind of exercise program into my lifestyle and have noticed improvements from swapping high-moderate intensity workouts for long durations to low intensity workouts for moderate amounts of time. I actually feel more fit now than I did when I used to go crazy and work my *kitten* off for hours every week.
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the programme, although I have to suspend my disbelief quite a bit as he pretends to go around 'discovering' these things when, obviously, he will have researched them thoroughly in advance. Basically it's like a live-action google search on recent thinking on exercise :laugh:

The other element is what exercise is FOR. He is only dealing with health, not pleasure. I get a huge high after a 5K run, so I would need to see if the HIIT had the same effect.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    A very interesting program. Thanks for posting.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    :The other element is what exercise is FOR. He is only dealing with health, not pleasure. I get a huge high after a 5K run, so I would need to see if the HIIT had the same effect.

I'm definitely NOT in that "pleasure from exercise" category. I liked Moseley's quote at the beginning, about how he never enjoyed doing it, or begrudged the time it took to do it. Aside from times in my life where it was a competition (which I guess is still exercise), I've never liked to do it, only the results FROM doing it. Oh well. ;-)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I liked this program, but it's something I've been reading bits and bytes about over the past few months. I plan on incorporating this kind of exercise program into my lifestyle and have noticed improvements from swapping high-moderate intensity workouts for long durations to low intensity workouts for moderate amounts of time. I actually feel more fit now than I did when I used to go crazy and work my *kitten* off for hours every week.

That's interesting - let us know how that's going.
    Do you use an HRM? And if so, do you pay much attention to the heart rate zones?
  • ruwise
    Options
    Just watched the whole thing and to me the science is a bit faulty as he made 2 changes to his life at the same time which makes it impossible to confirm what caused the health benefits. I personally think to get true answers he should have had 4 weeks of only doing the HIT training, 4 weeks of only up his NEAT activity and 4 weeks of both and then you could get more accurate results on what was truly beneficial as if he was doing HIT and also increased his NEAT by 100% then the change in results could actually have been all down to the change in his NEAT rather than the HIT training in the first place. It is a very interesting programme. I might try and add in 1 minute Hit to my training but I would do it in addition to rather than instead of the other work I am doing.

I would love to be a guinea pig for these kind of clinical trials as I'd love to get the genetic testing etc done. Does anybody know how you can get involved in them.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    I would love to be a guinea pig for these kind of clinical trials as I'd love to get the genetic testing etc done. Does anybody know how you can get involved in them.

Actually this US government website has info on clinical trials around the world. But most of them are drug related. .

http://clinicaltrials.gov/

You might check to see if universities around you have a website w/info on research they're conducting that you might want to get involved in. For example, if you Google "oxford research-volunteers", a lot of hits come up.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Just watched the whole thing and to me the science is a bit faulty as he made 2 changes to his life at the same time which makes it impossible to confirm what caused the health benefits. I personally think to get true answers he should have had 4 weeks of only doing the HIT training, 4 weeks of only up his NEAT activity and 4 weeks of both and then you could get more accurate results on what was truly beneficial as if he was doing HIT and also increased his NEAT by 100% then the change in results could actually have been all down to the change in his NEAT rather than the HIT training in the first place. It is a very interesting programme. I might try and add in 1 minute Hit to my training but I would do it in addition to rather than instead of the other work I am doing.

This maybe the same thing:

Www.xrgenomics.co.uk
  • ruwise
    Options
    Looks like it. Not willing to pay that much for it though as it looks like they don't actually do any testing of your exercise like they do in the documentary.
  • FP4HSharon
    Options
    As I said in the OP, I'm pretty sure I'm a Super Responder, but don't think I'd want to know if I was a Non-Responder (which really should be called a "Weak Responder"), because even though you'd still get some benefit from exercise, it seems like it'd make you lean towards hopelessness...that genetically, no matter how hard you worked, you still wouldn't make much progress.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting the link. Blood sugar isn't my interest, but blood fats are. I was fascinated by the change in his blood draw after a long, relatively slow-paced walk. I may slow down some of my walks, but extend the distance. LG