Why are people so overweight, unhealthy and ill?

Options
124»

Replies

• beckslite
    beckslite Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well there is alot of thoughts and opinions in this thread. For me the title was misleading. Then there was a long paragraph of mainly facts. Where is the evidence? We can all give advice but supporting it with evidence would help people relate to it. After reading through I did notice that some people have contradicted what was said. So who is right?

I chose this thread for the title, as I know what its like to be ill and not be able to do much in the form of exercise. The focus has been on nutrition but that isn't the only thing we should be concerned with. I know plenty of people who eat healthy and go to the gym but also smoke. There is so much more to being healthy than diet. Although I very much agree that we all should learn about our foods and what is in them. So many people do not know what is in there foods.

Regarding the title referring to why are people ill, it seems that you feel it is down to diet. Well what about genetics? I have conditions that I suffer with that have nothing to do with diet, they are genetic. However, of course they can be helped, not cured, with a healthy diet.

I think individuality is a major key. Yes, there are some people who are lazy and would rather have processed food than try to actually cook a meal. But there are also people who because they are ill have problems with their diet and exercise. One condition I have makes me crave sugar and sweet things terribly. And no I don't use it as an excuse. And I'm not just talking about an average craving, its intense. Luckily medications have helped alot. So my point is not everyone is overweight and unhealthy because they are simply lazy. Some people out there really suffer.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Because unhealthy foods are highly subsidized by the government. A family of four who is struggling gets far more calories from cheap processed foods from McDonalds or even the aisles of Walmart compared to the organic produce section of any food store for the same limited $ they have to spend weekly.

Uh, no. I bought a whole chicken and a bag of organic carrots for less than $6. That could feed a family of 4 for dinner, maybe some left overs, and then you can make soup with the rest. It's false to say eating junk is cheaper. That same $6 isn't even one meal at McD's. I really wish people would get off this band wagon that healthful food costs more. It's a myth. Learn to cook. It's cheap. It's like this dark secret that only a few people know about. Everyone else thinks food is expensive. A few of us stand around scratching our heads not understanding what you are talking about.

^^^^^Spot On! They must be adding on labor costs for having to cook HA!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Use of paragraphs would greatly improve readability of this post. People don't like to wade through solid blocks of text.

AGREED! I give more credibility to the message if it is properly formatted.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Well there is alot of thoughts and opinions in this thread. For me the title was misleading. Then there was a long paragraph of mainly facts. Where is the evidence? We can all give advice but supporting it with evidence would help people relate to it. After reading through I did notice that some people have contradicted what was said. So who is right?

I chose this thread for the title, as I know what its like to be ill and not be able to do much in the form of exercise. The focus has been on nutrition but that isn't the only thing we should be concerned with. I know plenty of people who eat healthy and go to the gym but also smoke. There is so much more to being healthy than diet. Although I very much agree that we all should learn about our foods and what is in them. So many people do not know what is in there foods.

Regarding the title referring to why are people ill, it seems that you feel it is down to diet. Well what about genetics? I have conditions that I suffer with that have nothing to do with diet, they are genetic. However, of course they can be helped, not cured, with a healthy diet.

I think individuality is a major key. Yes, there are some people who are lazy and would rather have processed food than try to actually cook a meal. But there are also people who because they are ill have problems with their diet and exercise. One condition I have makes me crave sugar and sweet things terribly. And no I don't use it as an excuse. And I'm not just talking about an average craving, its intense. Luckily medications have helped alot. So my point is not everyone is overweight and unhealthy because they are simply lazy. Some people out there really suffer.

Medical issues notwithstanding, I also felt the title was misleading and presumptuous. I don't get these odd declative posts that show up on these boards from time to time as one of a person's first few posts. It's oddly similar to going to Times Square and finding corner preachers wearing sandwich signs declaring gloom & doom to occur...last week :huh:
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Why we get fat: food is delicious
    Why we stay fat: food is delicious and/or some of us feel so far away from our goals that we ask, "why even bother?"
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    She's deactivated already. Not surprised. :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    We live in a food toxic environment. It's easier than ever to gain weight these days!
    If food was truly toxic death should happen very soon after ingestion. It's easier to gain weight because of a combination of high calorie foods and lack of physical activity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

That really tells me all I need to know.
  • Crazyartgrrl
    Crazyartgrrl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness. Now I can go back to never posting in a thread on MFP again. I had a momentary lapse and actually cared for 10 minutes. Glad that's over.
  • McGruber03
    McGruber03 Posts: 113
    Options

That really tells me all I need to know.

Does this mean he/she was a troll?