Warrior Dash - Maryland - May 18 - Anyone signed up?

Options
Who is going to run the Warrior Dash next month at Budds Creek in Maryland on May 18th? This will be my third run, I was hoping to push for a sub 30minute run this year, (it's a 5k) but I broke my big toe right at the joint last week and it's slowing my running down a bit, but some tape and a tight lacing should help. Curious to see how many people on MFP will be running. I consider myself a veteran of Warrior Dash, so if you have any questions let me know.

-Ray

Replies

• Jme03
    Jme03 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    A friend & I just signed up for the dash in Charlotte on June 1. Not only is this my 1st Warrior Dash, but it's also my 1st 5k! (I'm crazy, I know) What would be the best way to train for it?
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'll be there!

I'm just aiming for finishing. I don't forsee a problem with any of the obstacles, but my ankle rehab is going a lot slower than I thought it would so... I've still never run a straight 5k. I'm just going to tape and hope. It does make me wish there were just obstacle course races without all the boring running bits. That would be way more fun.

The only one I can't figure out is the "deadweight drifter" - what is that?
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Budds Creek is in my "neck of the woods". I didn't even realize there was a local race - will have to tell my hubby the runner!
  • rayboatwright1
    rayboatwright1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I run on the mountain bike trails near my house. The off road terrain will help get the ankles used to all the weird angles. I suggest working on pull-ups and pushups. Some of the harder obstacles are the walls that require upper body to do. Running with a friend is always good too, the motivation helps and during the race you can help each other through obstacles. If you can run 1.5 miles without stopping, you should be fine to run 5k just fine. You get enough breaks during the obstacles to keep stamina for the run.
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A friend & I just signed up for the dash in Charlotte on June 1. Not only is this my 1st Warrior Dash, but it's also my 1st 5k! (I'm crazy, I know) What would be the best way to train for it?

I just did my first Warrior dash and like you, it was my first 5k. I didn't do any running to prepare, just kept up with my strength training three days a week and yoga also three days a week. At the start of the WD it was a full mile to the first obstacle and I surprised myself by running the whole way non-stop. I seemed easy because I was running in the middle of a group of people. I estimate that I ran 4k of the total, maybe slightly more. I'm 60 and I completed the course in 50:38 without skipping any obstacles. It gave me a real feeling of accomplishment.