Sweet Potatoes

Options
Is the sweet potato peel edible like on some other potatoes?

Replies

• bill323
    bill323 Posts: 100
    Options
    Yes
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yup, if I cut them into chips or wedges and roast them I leave it on. I also bake them in the microwave like a normal potato and eat it like that. Good fibre.

I take it off to mash them, the skin is thicker and rougher than normal potatoes, not so keen on the texture then and I don't think it would tear and mix through the same. I'm always amazed when you boil or steam them and you can pull the skin off in one or two whole pieces. They really are a great vegetable.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yup, if I cut them into chips or wedges and roast them I leave it on. I also bake them in the microwave like a normal potato and eat it like that. Good fibre.

I take it off to mash them, the skin is thicker and rougher than normal potatoes, not so keen on the texture then and I don't think it would tear and mix through the same. I'm always amazed when you boil or steam them and you can pull the skin off in one or two whole pieces. They really are a great vegetable.

Oh great ideas! Never thought to boil - I just put in oven like regular baked potatoes. I'm really not that good in the kitchen. I'm afraid I will burn the place down.
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I hope so... I always have wedges and jackets! :) xx
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sure is. As far as I know, that's where the majority of its fiber content comes from.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    Oh, they are so lovely to consume! Sliced and baked in the oven with a little crisp - delicious!
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Better be. I ate a sweet potato for lunch today...peel and all. YUM!!!
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Oh great ideas! Never thought to boil - I just put in oven like regular baked potatoes. I'm really not that good in the kitchen. I'm afraid I will burn the place down.

Roasting, steaming, microwaving are all great options. I'm personally not a fan of boiling any vegetable as a lot of the nutrients are lost in the water.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just made some sweet potato fries today. They were good - well the ones I did not burn LOL :grumble:
  • sidkrose
    sidkrose Posts: 35
    Options
    Roasting, steaming, microwaving are all great options. I'm personally not a fan of boiling any vegetable as a lot of the nutrients are lost in the water.

Unless you're making soup! :) Sweet potato soup is amazing!