Gastric Bypass-a last resort

Options
Does anyone know any information on this surgery? I am interested, not in the surgery itself but in the diet they make you follow. This would be a last resort to me-so I want to eat right NOW

Replies

• akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest this. The diet they put post-op patients on is really low in calories, because patients can't stomach more than that.

If you're that desperate, go to a nutritionist. Search online for any multitude of references on proper diets.

Eat a lot of protein, veggies, and fruits. Stay away from processed foods and eat whole foods.

Eating right isn't rocket science, it just takes a lot of hard work.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have worked with two women who had gastric bypass surgery. Post surgery they had to be very careful of their fat intake and generally only eat a tablespoon or two of anything at a time. However, they had to take supplements several times a day because they can't get their nutrients in what little they eat.

Just FYI, both women gained it all back. You may only eat a little at a time, but if you eat all day (graze) you can eat a lot in a day. LG
  • k4rid4
    k4rid4 Posts: 2
    Options
    i had a gastric bypass 4 weeks ago. so speaking from experience... it is painful, i suffered infections in my wounds and have been in a&e. I still feel fairly hungry most of the time. the diet we are told to eat isnt that low in calories, as u have to eat alot of protein all the time which makes u constipated. which is painful in its self. and trust me the pureed food stage isnt fun at all. its disgusting! i lost around 4 stone 2 years ago on slimming world.. and then i started eating naughty things when i got with my bf. and all the weight went back on and then some. i didnt realise how much effort u have to put in to losing weight on a bypass. i lost 30lb in the first 2 weeks coz i cudnt eat. then when i started eating again. gained 5lb and now its just cummin off again. Ur body goes into starvation mode. u have to exercise like any other person dieting. personally id go to slimming world if i were u. u can eat loads on there diet and lose 4lb a week doin so.