is walking enough exercise?

Im at Disney world, and I walk around the parks from noon to eleven at night. Is that enough exercise or should I throw some running in there around the morning??

I eat about 2 meals a day and maybe a couple snacks. Just because the food at the parks are so expensive as well

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    Enough exercise for what? It really depends on your goals, you can loose weight walking only, but if your goal is to run a 10K, or get ripped, then walking isn't enough.

Maybe you should bring food in a cooler bag, 2 meals and only a couple snacks isn't enough, the body works better with many small meals. I typically eat 3 small meals and 4 or 5 snacks a day.
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Enough exercise for what? It really depends on your goals, you can loose weight walking only, but if your goal is to run a 10K, or get ripped, then walking isn't enough.

Maybe you should bring food in a cooler bag, 2 meals and only a couple snacks isn't enough, the body works better with many small meals. I typically eat 3 small meals and 4 or 5 snacks a day.

Yes but im on vacation...so for VACATION is it enough exercise?? At home I work out hard :) and eat 5 small meals
  • Gordy83
    Gordy83 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm a great believer in the benefits of walking.

By staying under you calorie goal and walking you will lose weight, it wont dramatically improve your overall fitness though. Most of my weight loss has been through sensible eating and walking 4-5 miles a day.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    you are definitely not eating enough. science has proven that when you don't eat, it puts your body into starvation mode which means it holds onto the fat. you should eat something within 30 minutes of waking up to start your metabolism back up and then eat every 2 to 3 hours. small meals, correct portions, healthy food. your last snack should be 1 hour before bedtime. this will turn around your metabolism and you will see more weight loss. It's important with exercise to have your heart rate up. so walking is great exercise but you might want to throw some good cardio workouts in there as well.
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Walking is great cardio!! I've lost 26 pounds by either walking or doing the elliptical each day. You are still being really active on your vacation. Go you!
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    i don't think one person on here heard you say you are on vacation!!:noway:

it'll be fine, this isn't something that'll last very long. plus all the playing on the rides in addition to walking is burning major calories!

watch the food, you know what to do, the fact that you're checking in with MFP is fantastic :drinker:

enjoy you vacay!!:flowerforyou:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Hey Karissaa, all that walking will be great! If you can workout in your hotel gym in the morning before you go out for the day – that would be best. Working out will also give you some leeway to have a treat while you are there. The salt-water toffee is the most plentiful and cheapest treat in the park (that’s what I remember from my trip in 2008).

As long as you are eating sensible meals and not all-you-can-eat Olive Garden stuff in the area you are fine. There is some great stir-fry and sushi options in Tomorrow Land, its called Terrace Noodle Station (I'm going to back Orlando in June, yay!) Obviously you may not be eating as often as you'd like due to costs and no, coolers are not allowed into parks unless its for medicine but unless your vacation is like 2 weeks, you are NOT going to go into starvation mode. You are limited by what’s around you understandably but you can definitely make the best of it. Just avoid the McDonald’s fry cart in Frontier Land, lol! Good luck and you should apply to be a princess character while you are there, you totally look the part!
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    To answer your question about walking, yes it sounds like quite a lot of great exercise. Since hurting myself all I have done is walked for the past few months and I'm dropping weight like 2-3 lbs a week (~20 miles per week). If you are on vacation, you probably don't need to ask since anything you do you should just consider a bonus especially if you are watching your nutrition.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    The last time I was at Disneyland, I had a pedometer and I walked 20,000-25,000 steps a day.

That seems like plenty to me. :laugh:
  • karissastephens
    Hey Karissaa, all that walking will be great! If you can workout in your hotel gym in the morning before you go out for the day – that would be best. Working out will also give you some leeway to have a treat while you are there. The salt-water toffee is the most plentiful and cheapest treat in the park (that’s what I remember from my trip in 2008).

As long as you are eating sensible meals and not all-you-can-eat Olive Garden stuff in the area you are fine. There is some great stir-fry and sushi options in Tomorrow Land, its called Terrace Noodle Station (I'm going to back Orlando in June, yay!) Obviously you may not be eating as often as you'd like due to costs and no, coolers are not allowed into parks unless its for medicine but unless your vacation is like 2 weeks, you are NOT going to go into starvation mode. You are limited by what’s around you understandably but you can definitely make the best of it. Just avoid the McDonald’s fry cart in Frontier Land, lol! Good luck and you should apply to be a princess character while you are there, you totally look the part!

haha thank you! :flowerforyou: You look like quite the princess in your wedding pictures as well!
  • jmb1510
    jmb1510 Posts: 45 Member
    You are on vacation-anything is great. Don't be so pinned down to anything that you can't let it go for a brief a vacation, even exercising. I know you don't want to lost all the hard work you have put in, but vacation should be a time when you health and weight concerns are about maintaining. Walking and watching you eat is plenty for vacation. Also, if you have a car, get out of the park and head into Kissimmee and get some healthier food so you can eat more. Enjoy WDW!
  • karissastephens
    You are on vacation-anything is great. Don't be so pinned down to anything that you can't let it go for a brief a vacation, even exercising. I know you don't want to lost all the hard work you have put in, but vacation should be a time when you health and weight concerns are about maintaining. Walking and watching you eat is plenty for vacation. Also, if you have a car, get out of the park and head into Kissimmee and get some healthier food so you can eat more. Enjoy WDW!

haha Im actually staying in Kissimmee! :)
  • It's vacation so don't stress too much about it! I'm sure between all the walking and swimming you are burning plenty of calories!