Swollen ankle when I work out?

Elokyn
Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been doing the 30 day shred for 14 days now and just yesterday I was doing it and noticed afterwards my ankle was sooo swollen. I've injured this ankle before twice (torn ligaments) in the passed, but when it was swollen it didn't hurt at all..just swollen...I went to bed and when I woke up the swelling wasn't there anymore and now walking around at work it's swelling again. Should I be worried ? My mom thinks it's just fluid going to a previously injured area but the other 13 days I did the shred it didn't swell :\ help?

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Well, as long as you're not feeling any pain, I would go your normal routine for a bit longer and see if it gets worse. Our muscle tissues retain water while we're exercising. As long as its going away after, it may be your body trying to adjust. I've torn ligaments in my right ankle years ago. They do repair themselves slowly over time. If it doesn't get better or it doesn't subside over time I would see a doc just to make sure you're not creating more damage. You know your body better than anyone of us - do what you feel is right :)
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    I also have problems with ankle swelling from a bad sprina almost two years ago. Sometimes our bodies take a long time to heal. IF you stay relatively pain free, keep trying to get in shape as wella s you can. If the ankle hurts too much, cut back until it feels better.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    I think you should wrap it with an ace bandage and that you have aggrevated an old injury...fluid pooling is a result of inflammation...good luck
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    It could be a bursa, a build-up of liquid in the area. It can start to be painful if it pushes on any tendons or ligaments. I would keep an eye on it and make sure you are getting a rest day or so after long work-outs to recoup.
This discussion has been closed.