How to increase calories?

I've been reading and some say 1200 cal is too low. But my calories intake per day is less than that, it only exceeded once when I ate McDonald's. Idk, how I can eat more to be honest... when I try to eat more, I throw up. I tried splitting my meals, but the thing is, I don't think I can split it coz i don't even eat much in the first place. Any suggestions on how I can increase it?

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    I try to get my calories in every day, but notice when I exercise I don't have as much of an appetite. First I try to be balanced, so if it's nearing the end of the day, I check my totals to see what I'm lowest on...proteins, carbs (not usually an issue), or healthy fats (again, not usually an issue). So I'll try to think of something that will give me what I'm low on that I feel like eating. If I can't think of anything in that category, then I'll go over in other categories to get the total calories in.

In your case, you might look for healthy foods that are a little higher in calories..peanut butter, avocado, bananas, whole grain brown/wild rice, potatoes, cheese, nuts. I'd also try to spread your calories out more throughout the day, so you're not having to eat a lot at one particular time. Finally, you might feel like drinking your calories if you don't feel like eating them...milk, juice, smoothies, some kind of healthy shake.

The most important thing is to get enough calories, after that, to try to balance your calories in each area (protein, carb, fat).
  • tomato915
    tomato915 Posts: 40
    I tried to eat banana at least 2 - 3 times a day. Like, right now I need 700 more calories so that's almost 7 bananas in total :s i can't eat that much, I can eat one after this tho. :( I am not really a fan of shakes, juice and milk (except when I eat cereal), I only drink water or green tea. But I will try... any suggestions on how I can increase my appetite? My appetite only goes up when it's salty but that's kinda bad... I cut off rice before but I had to put it back because if I don't, my calories would be way too less.

Oh and when I do eat bananas, it's spread out. Like once every 3 - 4 hours.
  • Omg yes I'm having the same problem. I never go close to 1200, but I eat when I'm hungry and if I try to eat more I just get really bloated :(
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    This article from Live Strong has natural ways to stimulate your appetite, some excellent easy suggestions. The only thing I'd add is that the color RED is supposed to stimulate your appetite. They did studies & found that people ate more when they were eating off a red plate, or a plate on a red placemat. Ever notice that many fast food restaurants in particular feature a RED theme (McDonalds, KFC, Hardees, Wendy's, etc)...a coincidence? I think not. ;-) For those who are dieting, they said that blue had the opposite effect...you'd eat fewer calories if you ate off a blue plate or a plate on a blue placemat; they even suggested putting a blue light bulb in your fridge, so maybe you could put a red one in yours. :-)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/503428-natural-ways-to-stimulate-appetites/
  • tomato915
    Omg yes I'm having the same problem. I never go close to 1200, but I eat when I'm hungry and if I try to eat more I just get really bloated :(

Yeah :( Mine is kinda different tho. I can go on the whole day without eating anything and don't feel hungry. So everyday I just eat not because I'm hungry, I just eat because I have to.
  • tomato915
    This article from Live Strong has natural ways to stimulate your appetite, some excellent easy suggestions. The only thing I'd add is that the color RED is supposed to stimulate your appetite. They did studies & found that people ate more when they were eating off a red plate, or a plate on a red placemat. Ever notice that many fast food restaurants in particular feature a RED theme (McDonalds, KFC, Hardees, Wendy's, etc)...a coincidence? I think not. ;-) For those who are dieting, they said that blue had the opposite effect...you'd eat fewer calories if you ate off a blue plate or a plate on a blue placemat; they even suggested putting a blue light bulb in your fridge, so maybe you could put a red one in yours. :-)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/503428-natural-ways-to-stimulate-appetites/

Does a pink sakura plate count? xD Thanks for the article. I'll read it now. :)