Can We Talk Chia Seeds?

Options
LongMom
LongMom Posts: 408 Member
I've been hearing about Chia Seeds a bit lately. I've gotten on the bandwagon with spaghetti squash and quinoa thanks to this site so I have to ask...

What are Chia Seeds?

Where can you get them?

Are they a lot of calories?

How do you prepare them to eat?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I eat chia seeds. Almost daily! Love Louuuhve them!

What are Chia Seeds? - They are what they sound like..... cha cha cha chia (pet) seeds.Check out this link, this is where I learnt about them more. http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html

Where can you get them? You can go to the bulk barn and get them, that is where Iget mine from. They are little teeny tiny black seeds.

Are they a lot of calories? No

How do you prepare them to eat? I use them in oatmeal mainly. I also have a granola bar recipe I like to use them in. They are like a seed/nut. I haven't cooked them other than in oatmeal, so I can't speak to much else on how you prepare them.

Hit up the bulk barn near you and toss a tbsp in your next bowl of oatmeal. See how you like them.
  • LongMom
    Options
    Wow Thanks Miranda!!! Great article :)

I'm going to have to go to the Bulk Barn...I bet they have quinoa too!

Just curious, do you make the gel or do you just drop some into your oatmeal?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have never tried them either. Have heard they are healthy and a lot of people on the low carb websites I frequent swear by them in terms of being an all natural health food.

Something for me to take a look at.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Chia seed pudding (from Eat, Be, and See - blog - by Tee Gee)

1/3 cup chia seeds
    1/4 cup pistachios
    1/4 cup almonds
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    1 cup almond milk
    a pinch of dried hibiscus flowers
    small handful non-sweetened dried cherries

1. Place everything in a food processor.
    2. Process.
    3. Eat!

(Note - I don't put in the flowers and use a bit less coconut oil. This recipe is like a magical dietary fat booster for the day if you're running low...)

Link to recipe -> http://tarablogsabouteverything.blogspot.com/2009/07/chia-seed-pudding.html
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Chia seed pudding (from Eat, Be, and See - blog - by Tee Gee)

1/3 cup chia seeds
    1/4 cup pistachios
    1/4 cup almonds
    1/4 cup coconut oil
    1 cup almond milk
    a pinch of dried hibiscus flowers
    small handful non-sweetened dried cherries

1. Place everything in a food processor.
    2. Process.
    3. Eat!

(Note - I don't put in the flowers and use a bit less coconut oil. This recipe is like a magical dietary fat booster for the day if you're running low...)

Link to recipe -> http://tarablogsabouteverything.blogspot.com/2009/07/chia-seed-pudding.html

That sounds really good. I wonder where you would find dried hibiscus flowers? I am supposing I could dry my own as I am currently growing them.
  • MirandaJayne
    Options
    Wow Thanks Miranda!!! Great article :)

I'm going to have to go to the Bulk Barn...I bet they have quinoa too!

Just curious, do you make the gel or do you just drop some into your oatmeal?

They do have Quinoa - Hello Yum, I don't think i'll ever make rice at home again lol. They have lots of different kinds of quinoa too, red, organic, etc.

I do not make the gel. I toss them in whole, and they kind of make their own gel in the oatmeal. Check out one of my enteries from my blog with chia oatmeal. http://mirandasjeans.blogspot.com/2010/05/whos-got-case-of-mundays.html
  • LongMom
    Options
    Love the Blog Miranda! Just read through some of it :) Love the pics of everything you eat - what a cool idea!

I'm going to make a trip to the bulk barn tonight I think!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    You can also get ground chia seed (or make your own using a magic bullet) - I add mine to just about everything - shakes, cottage cheese, soups, sauces.
  • MirandaJayne
    Options
    Thanks.