Not sure how to proceed

Options
I used to eat a VLCD.
I worked out frequently, lost 48lbs.
Now I'm getting to the point where I want to tone and get strong so I'm starting to lift weights on a more focused and more regular basis. Cardio is still important to me as I want to run a 10k in May.

Now, here's my problem. I want to, and need to, start eating more WITHOUT gaining weight (or at least as little weight as possible).
My stats are:

167lbs
5'6"
24% approx body fat

Using this, my BMR is around 15-1600 cals. My TDEE (as I workout almost daily) is 2441. If I follow In Place of a Road Map, I should deduct 20% of that to bring me to a supposed net of approx 1950 cals a day.

That's pretty much twice what I eat now.
To counter act the weight gain, I should be working out more, right? I already burn 500-800 cals a day! AND what's worse is I can't eat my exercise cals back (I plateau and gain). So I should, what, burn 1500 cals a day? Or just throw my progress out the window and gain it all back? Or what?

I'm hoping for serious responses here but I understand this is the Internet... Please try to be respectful, I know my problem and am trying to correct it and you being snarky or trolling won't help the problem.

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It is possible (and depending upon how long, maybe probable) that your VLCD has caused metabolic damage that your body will need time to recover from. I think you definitely need to eat more, especially if you are working out so much. I would add about 100 calories per day each week until you get to your TDEE -20% number. This gives your body time to adjust without (hopefully) much in the way of gaining. Even if you gain, once your body adjusts it will come back off. the bottom line is you need to feed your body to stay healthy and you have not been doing that. take the time and do it right so you can sustain your losses over your lifetime. You can do this! (I had to do the same thing and it worked wonders). BTW, I am 5'2", work 3x a week at weight training for about 90 minutes each time, eat 1850 calories a day and still lose weight (and INCHES!).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It is possible (and depending upon how long, maybe probable) that your VLCD has caused metabolic damage that your body will need time to recover from. I think you definitely need to eat more, especially if you are working out so much. I would add about 100 calories per day each week until you get to your TDEE -20% number. This gives your body time to adjust without (hopefully) much in the way of gaining. Even if you gain, once your body adjusts it will come back off. the bottom line is you need to feed your body to stay healthy and you have not been doing that. take the time and do it right so you can sustain your losses over your lifetime. You can do this! (I had to do the same thing and it worked wonders). BTW, I am 5'2", work 3x a week at weight training for about 90 minutes each time, eat 1850 calories a day and still lose weight (and INCHES!).

I agree with this. You might gain a little at first as your body adjusts, but you'll likely feel better in the long run. Just give it 4-6 weeks before adjusting. And then keep in mind that the calculators are estimates, so you may need to tweak your numbers. But remember give each change about a month before deciding you need to change again.
  • FlannelMothman
    FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Do I workout more, or no?
    I think mentally I can raise my calories by 100. I think I can be OK with that. So say on Monday I hit NET 1200, and I continue to do that till next Monday, where I NET 1300? That's what you meant?

Another big reason for this is I(as well as my boyfriend and friends) have said verbatim that I was happier when I was fat. It hurt. I'vegone through major family issues too, but they've been mostly resolved for a month or so now. I can understand now that maybe I'm allowing myself to "grieve" now, but I'm finding I'm really moody lately despite all of that.
    I am going to assume that eating more would probably help with that? lol as well as when I reach my goal weight, I want to eat "normally" again (not like when I was fat, but make more allowances for things that I would be afraid to touch on a cheat day now).
  • FlannelMothman
    Options
    Bump?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do I workout more, or no?

NO
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Don't workout more. Slowly up your calories and stay off the scale. Up your calories by about 250 a day for a week, than add in another 100 to 200 calories per week until you are at the higher calorie amounts you need to be. You will gain in the beginning just because your body isn't used to the increase of calories. Lift heavy along the way to try and preserve your muscle.

No need to workout more. Working out more without eating those extra workout calories will only leave you with too large of a deficit. If you are going to workout more you need to eat more.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind. You don't need to net 1900. You just eat 1900 total and don't eat back exercise calories. If you've calculated your TDEE correctly and include your exercise then it would essentially be counting it twice if you tried to eat back those calories.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    my advice to you is that this is an absolutely mental game.. its all in your mind that the hurdles appear. Learning to accept you can eat more without gaining is the toughest part. Especially for VLCD'ers

If you have done VLCD for a long time i would recommend to eat at maintenance for a month or so to refuel you body. that means eating the same amount of calories you output.. 0 calorie defecit. you should not gain on this (except perhaps at the start when your body is getting used to being fed).

Then reduce with a small deficit. 10% or so...
    Working out more or less doesn't matter, because your calculations will be based on your TDEE which will change if you workout more. You will need to adjust your calculations if you start adding in an extra 300 calories burned a day.
    It seems like you are looking for a way to trick the system.. i'll eat more, but then i'll workout more... It ends up the same, that you wont be eating enough.

Try joining the Eat more to Weigh less or IPOARM groups on MFP and they can give you some insight.
  • FlannelMothman
    Options
    Also keep in mind. You don't need to net 1900. You just eat 1900 total and don't eat back exercise calories. If you've calculated your TDEE correctly and include your exercise then it would essentially be counting it twice if you tried to eat back those calories.

.... Then this is doable.
    Completely doable. Like, so doable, it'd be practically easy. This week I'm going around the 1200-1500 (eating some but not all cals back)... If my gross is 1900, I can do that.
    At least I think I can!