Eating after 5pm?

Options
2»

Replies

• mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This is too funny. Every time we have a thread about nighttime eating, people go totally wild! They love to eat before bed and just can't fall asleep unless they are so full their shirt buttons are about to pop. Joining this rampant choir are those who happily proclaim their pledge to the agreeable anthem of you can eat whenever you want to and won't put on fat because of it.

Like OP, I don't eat for several hours before bed. If you put your willpower on automatic for regular meals by making it a habit, it's amazing how easy it is. You should also eat clean of course, but who among us doesn't, haha?

Aside from night calories exceeding your daily quota, there are various other pitfalls listed here:

reflux esophagitis, insulin spike, growth hormone
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/934166-tell-me-again-why-eating-before-bed-won-t-make-me-fat?page=3#posts-14207206

absorption, post-absorption, fasting
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/934166-tell-me-again-why-eating-before-bed-won-t-make-me-fat?page=8#posts-14213466
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is too funny. Every time we have a thread about nighttime eating, people go totally wild! They love to eat before bed and just can't fall asleep unless they are so full their shirt buttons are about to pop. Joining this rampant choir are those who happily proclaim their pledge to the agreeable anthem of you can eat whenever you want to and won't put on fat because of it.

Like OP, I don't eat for several hours before bed. If you put your willpower on automatic for regular meals by making it a habit, it's amazing how easy it is. You should also eat clean of course, but who among us doesn't, haha?

Aside from night calories exceeding your daily quota, there are various other pitfalls listed here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/934166-tell-me-again-why-eating-before-bed-won-t-make-me-fat?page=3#posts-14207206

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/934166-tell-me-again-why-eating-before-bed-won-t-make-me-fat?page=8#posts-14213466

lolwut?
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

I read the responses. Who said they eat til they are so full that their shirt buttons are about to pop? Because I missed that one.
    Do what works for you, no need to get your panties in a bunch. :laugh:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

:laugh:

I often finish work at 8pm and sometimes have to work as late as midnight. This would not work for me :noway:

But hey if it gives you the psychological boost you need go for it. It doesn't change how your body works, less calories = weight loss no matter when you eat them.

Also not sure why night calories would exceed your daily quota? Surely you just spread them out more.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I eat like you. I don't usually eat after 6-7. Also, you make no sense. I could switch everything up and eat at night and surely prove that I would still lose weight because the math alone would show I would. But alas, my preference is not to eat late. And that's all it is. A preference. It's not like Midnight strikes and stuff pops off. This is not Cinderella.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

I eat like you. I don't usually eat after 6-7. Also, you make no sense. I could switch everything up and eat at night and surely prove that I would still lose weight because the math alone would show I would. But alas, my preference is not to eat late. And that's all it is. A preference. It's not like Midnight strikes and stuff pops off. This is not Cinderella.

What about those humanoid Mogwai? Most of them don't know what they are until it's too late...
  • CoderGal
    Options

What about those humanoid Mogwai? Most of them don't know what they are until it's too late...
    omg you're right! All this time I've been living in a fairy-tale...The key though is not to drink water. And I think if you do you just end up being less hairy and get a six pack.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In the past, whats worked for me is not eating after 5pm. Its tough to do. But it always worked wonders.

What used to work for me was not eating after 11am. But then I fainted. The end.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream right before bed almost every night. On nights I have clinical shifts I get McDonald's on the way home, have ice cream when I walk in the door, and fall straight into bed.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    What works for me is not eating before 7pm
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, great!

Not realistic for me. I don't leave work until 5 (getting there at 7am), walk to the gym to work out until 7, head home for dinner, studying/homework, whatever else need to get done before going to bed at 11. Not eating after 5 would means lot of hunger and fainting!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my calories between 5pm and 1am. I fast the rest of the time. I am leaning up. Everyone has a different way. I, personally, tend to get hungry before bed and cannot sleep if I do not have at least something.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    What works for me is not eating before 7pm

Ditto!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You do get some awesome senior discounts at restaurants that way...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't even get home from work until 5pm, so that wouldn't work for me. The time of day that a person eats is irrelevant except in terms of preferences and lifestyle.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Do calories in the dark add up to more than calories in the light of day? Is that why anyone eating at night exceeds their calorie quota? If so, I need to rethink my nightly sweet before bed. And that will make me sad.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Do calories in the dark add up to more than calories in the light of day? Is that why anyone eating at night exceeds their calorie quota? If so, I need to rethink my nightly sweet before bed. And that will make me sad.
    Just tell him you'll do it in the morning :p
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Just tell him you'll do it in the morning :p

LOL!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    In the past, whats worked for me is not eating after 5pm. Its tough to do. But it always worked wonders.
    Yet somehow you can't stick with it forever. That's why you're here. So time to think of a different approach.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate between 1pm & 11pm. Whatever floats your boat, man.