The Fat Girl at Yoga

Options
Okay so, a little background - I am pretty well overweight. I've lost about 24 pounds already, but have around another 130 to go to ultimately be where I'd like to be. I've been reading a lot lately about yoga and how it helps to relieve stress and build strength, and I've also read a lot about how it's great for fibro sufferers (like myself) to ease body aches.

But here's my fear. I know that yoga is about focusing on the present and not outside influences or people around you, but I am so self-conscious about being the only "fat girl" in yoga class. But at the same time, I know that doing yoga with an instructor is a lot more efficient (and even more safe!) than doing it with a video at home.

Have any other MFPers been "the fat girl/guy at yoga?" Any advice from yogis out there? Any ways to get over my fear and just suck it up and do it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You won't be alone -- there are plenty of people in Yoga working on making lifestyle changes -- it is a good place to be.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    If it helps, we had a Yoga instructor at the Y where I work that was at least 50 pounds overweight herself. Everyone loved taking the class with her however, so I wouldn't worry about being overweight. I have been taking a fitness class here that sometimes uses some Yoga moves and I can't do all of them (my gut is sometimes in the way:sad: ) but that's what I'm working on. I used to always say that I would start doing classes as soon as I lost some weight so I wouldn't look so bad, but I changed my attitude and try whatever I feel like. I'm getting stronger by doing so. Haven't done Yoga yet, mostly because I'm afraid of farting in class (hey, nutritious food is full of fiber!). Just go in with confidence, do the best you can, and eventually you'll be one of the fit ones in class! For the most part, I have found other class goers to be nice and helpful. Who knows, some of them may have started in my boat, too. As I become more fit and lose weight, I plan on being the welcoming person who helps other newbies. Good luck!! You can do it:smile:
  • eggsmilkbread
    eggsmilkbread Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I take a yoga class and including me, there are about 3 overweight ladies in the class. Honestly, nobody really cares and if you try your best in the postures, they might even admire you.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Okay so, a little background - I am pretty well overweight. I've lost about 24 pounds already, but have around another 130 to go to ultimately be where I'd like to be. I've been reading a lot lately about yoga and how it helps to relieve stress and build strength, and I've also read a lot about how it's great for fibro sufferers (like myself) to ease body aches.

But here's my fear. I know that yoga is about focusing on the present and not outside influences or people around you, but I am so self-conscious about being the only "fat girl" in yoga class. But at the same time, I know that doing yoga with an instructor is a lot more efficient (and even more safe!) than doing it with a video at home.

Have any other MFPers been "the fat girl/guy at yoga?" Any advice from yogis out there? Any ways to get over my fear and just suck it up and do it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Don't be worried. There are always overweight people at yoga. Many yoga instructors are also overweight. Just muster up all the confidence you can and walk in there and have a nice time in all those fun yoga poses!
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I do yoga with a bunch of skinnier people, but it doesn't bother me. I usually stay in the back of class (but that's the norm for me because I'm tall and I don't want to be in the way). Talk to the instructor before class; there's usually modifications for some of the poses that might be too difficult to do right away. And in all seriousness, in some of those poses, it's not easy to hold in your farts.
  • Rosegardenia
    Rosegardenia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yep, been the fat girl at Yoga. And Street Dance and the gym and people are pretty supportive. The few times anyone wasn't (never at Yoga, and only a couple of times in the gym), I didn't have to say anything, as other people told them off for me! I got huge encouragement or nobody was bothered, then I had a few ask me later if I'd lost a lot of weight (I hadn't, but I shape up nicely to look lighter than I am).

The main thing is not to worry about it - chances are you are not important enough to anyone else working out for them to be thinking, let alone talking, about you. Plus if you start talking to people, you'll meet some really nice sorts.

edited for "not" infront of important.
  • mema_king
    mema_king Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been that girl. Try it what have you got to lose? If someone judges badly you for trying to get fitter and healthier they clearly aren't a great person themselves and therefore their opinion doesn't matter.

I struggle with some of the moves but hey you try and slowly you get better.
  • Carbcounteronly
    Options
    Hey! Don't even let it bother you - YOU are beautiful! And you know what? We all start somewhere. The best news?? You are still lapping everyone on the couch :-D

xx
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've been the fat girl, and I'm still the wobbly chick with crap balance even though I'm skinnier and there's less of me on my mat. Then I took a gal who is incredibly fit and tiny to yoga with me, and she said that I was so graceful and flowy and she hopes one day to look like me. I've also had other people tell me they can tell I do yoga a lot because it looks so natural on me. Perception is everything. I still feel wobbly sometimes and I still feel I sweat like a pig. But it feels good.

Over time yoga becomes easier in that you can find your downward dog, and you can find your plank. It's about knowing where your body goes. It's hard to describe how you'll be holding a pose and suddenly you can feel your body figure it out. Once that happens, you can find your breath and everything feels awesome. That being said, I dread boat pose and haven't found mine yet. It's a continuum.

People I know at yoga class checking me out aside, the beauty of yoga is that it is non-competitive and non-judgmental, and what happens on your mat is perfect. I've had some yoga instructors try to correct my form, but they're doing so based on their perceptions, not how far my not-very-bendy body can go without me losing balance. The best instructors are the ones who encourage you to notice how your body holds poses and adjusts to find and maintain balance.

And there's nothing wrong with doing yoga vids once you've had some practice with a real instructor. I don't feel like driving 40 mins each way to class on weekends when I can't do them after work. A DVD will just give you the prompts you need to follow a routine :)

Namaste.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I love seeing fat people work out. They are taking the bull by the horns and doing what's necessary to better themselves. They have my utmost respect.
  • autniccole
    Options
    Thank you all so much! <3 You all have given some great advice. Our community center here in town does yoga classes, and I think I might check them out once we get our membership.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    . And in all seriousness, in some of those poses, it's not easy to hold in your farts.
    So true!!
    One pose is even called " the wind removing pose......
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Been the fat girl in yoga, and kept going

noone pays attention to you apart from the teacher, since you are meant to be listening to your own body throughout it.

(they are trying to not fart during a pose or snore during relaxation).
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I too have been the fat girl at yoga and I still am. (My weight loss has had a lot of ups and downs...) The great thing about yoga is that it is not at all competitive. The practice is supposed to be about you and what feels good for you by challenging yourself but not to the point of being completely uncomfortable. I usually attend two different yoga classes - one at my gym, which is usually easier but there are mirrors in the room, and one at a yoga studio which is more challenging but the room lacks mirrors. This might seem silly, but I feel more comfortable in the room without the mirrors where I can't see how I look in comparison to all the other yogis in the class.

Depending on where you live, you might find different options for yoga classes. I have a friend who is very self-conscious about being heavier in a yoga class, so she prefers a class called "yoga for round bodies." It's basically yoga for heavier women. I've looked into it and the idea is that heavier women can't do certain poses...I'm not sure how true that actually is, but for my friend, she feels much more comfortable in that setting, and I think that is what is most important.
  • Utahgirl12
    Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am the fat one in my class, but believe it or not I am naturally quite bendy and flexible, so I can get into a lot of the poses that the others can't. In saying that, there are some poses I think I will never get into because for example, my arms don't seem long enough, lol.
    I my experience, everybody in yoga classes have an area that they are better at....it may be the breathing, the stretching, the relaxing, the balancing etc. You will find your strong points and celebrate them, and your weak points and work on them.
    Just go for it. I love it and have always found most yoga bunnies to be really friendly.
    By the way, my husband went to a men only course and always used to make me laugh when he spoke about the relaxation part at the end, as the men (him included!0 would be burping, snoring and farting! I think us women are usually there trying to look relaxed and all serene, when secretly inside we are all tense trying to hold a fart in! Oh to be a bloke!
    make sure you shop around and find a class that's right for you and come back and tell us all about it!

Lucy x
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    Options
    My class in England is nearly all women over 60 and some are over 70. The instructor always gives alternative poses for people who have joint/mobility issues. It is important to find an instructor you like and trust.
    I love my yoga sessions, we all have such a good laugh and no one judges.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! <3 You all have given some great advice. Our community center here in town does yoga classes, and I think I might check them out once we get our membership.

Welcome to the Yoga community!
    I have been the fat guy at Yoga - recently lost 20lbs and have a further 14 or so to go. I never felt out of place at class and my yoga friends are a wonderful community to be apart of.

Please do go along to yoga. I am sure you will be welcome and you will love it. :flowerforyou:
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I know this may not be true for everyone, but Ive been doing bikram for a year now and MOST of the people in every single class I go to are overweight, even 50% of the instructors are over weight, and I'm totally okay with that. Some heavy people are ridiculously flexible
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to do something when you feel self conscious, but try to remember this: everyone has the right to take care of themselves. And everyone (for the most part), feels odd or different in a situation sooner or later. For example, the best athlete may feel ackward giving a speech. Or maybe a runner is a star marathoner, but can't dance worth a hoot. So just do it and enjoy yourself.
  • TabbyTabz
    TabbyTabz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You won't be alone at all I was worried about the same thing but the other day I decided to just suck it up and go to the yoga class because I've been wanting to for so long but was too worried I would be "the fat girl" . Everyone was very nice and welcoming. I say give it a shot It might turn out to be something you really enjoy and meet some great people at. As for me I will be going to the yoga class weekly now =)