What is bad with too much protein?

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    I agree, I have been on high protein for 3 yrs now and I am in better health than I have ever been. I think the concern with high protein is IF you have underlying kidney/liver problems then dont consume high levels. Also for ppl who dont work out hard everyday, it may be too much. But if you are a healthy adult that works out hard, it is fine.

The point is find what works for you and do it! All of our bodies respond to different methods! Everyone is just throwing around ideas of what works for them.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Does it matter if the protien is meat, dairy, or plant based, or does your body process all protien the same?
  • I agree, people seem to be scaremongering, in the 3 years it took for me to get my nutrition degree, I don't recall any of the professional lectures saying that more than a 30% calorie intake from protein will kill you!!!

I have mine so that most of my calories coming from fat and protein because I lost a lot of weight by reducing carbs and i want my diet to stay this way.
    Weight loss was was because high protein and fat diets are mainly low GI which means food take much longer to digest and leave you with a more satisfied feeling after eating them, hence no naughty snacking later in the day!!!

Also though, one thing that is important is the quality of protein, fresh unprocess thing, such as eggs, are much better than say a steak, or a supermarket nurger, as these contain much more fat, than say a turkey breast.
    Say if all your protein is from red meat, then this could cause harm in the body, but if 85% if from turkey then you'll be much safer.

But as alway varying your protien is important.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I am not trying to convince anyone to switch the way they eat or anything, just stating how I eat and how good I feel.............

My eating plan consists of primarily saturated fats (natural animal fats and lots of coconut oil) and protein. 10% of my eating comes from carbs and those carbs consist of dark, green leafy veggies.

I feel satisfied, stay full and this allows my blood sugar to stay in control and in check. In return, my body has energy, I am shedding pounds and I require much less sleep than before.

I am satisfied and my doctor is satisfied with my progress.
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    I am not trying to convince anyone to switch the way they eat or anything, just stating how I eat and how good I feel.............

My eating plan consists of primarily saturated fats (natural animal fats and lots of coconut oil) and protein. 10% of my eating comes from carbs and those carbs consist of dark, green leafy veggies.

I feel satisfied, stay full and this allows my blood sugar to stay in control and in check. In return, my body has energy, I am shedding pounds and I require much less sleep than before.

I totally agree with you :) Since being on the Atkins plan I have seen a MAJOR difference in the way I feel. I eat around the same as you do and the benefits I have seen in my body in just 20 weeks is .........
    * I sleep better and feel very refreshed upon wake up ( no more dragging myself out of bed)
    * My joints do not hurt like they used too (and I was having some major joint issues)
    * I have TONS of energy
    * I am dropping weight ( whereas before I could hardly drop a half a pound with all the carbs I was consuming)
    * My hair, skin and nails have done a 100 percent turn around (before I had VERY dry skin and hair and I could NOT grow nails but now after 20 weeks I have shiny hair , clear skin that is no longer dried out and my nails have grown out and are beautiful)

Just soooooooo MANY benefits I have seen in a mere 20 weeks makes me a believer that I am doing my body good :) I will NEVER go back to my old way of eating again!!

The one thing my doctor and nutritionist has told me to do on this type of plan is to drink LOTS of water so I make sure I get in at least 100 oz. of water daily and no less than 80 oz. daily. My doctor and nutritionist are happy with the results I am getting and I am too :)
  • July24Lioness

I totally agree with you :) Since being on the Atkins plan I have seen a MAJOR difference in the way I feel. I eat around the same as you do and the benefits I have seen in my body in just 20 weeks is .........
    * I sleep better and feel very refreshed upon wake up ( no more dragging myself out of bed)
    * My joints do not hurt like they used too (and I was having some major joint issues)
    * I have TONS of energy
    * I am dropping weight ( whereas before I could hardly drop a half a pound with all the carbs I was consuming)
    * My hair, skin and nails have done a 100 percent turn around (before I had VERY dry skin and hair and I could NOT grow nails but now after 20 weeks I have shiny hair , clear skin that is no longer dried out and my nails have grown out and are beautiful)

Just soooooooo MANY benefits I have seen in a mere 20 weeks makes me a believer that I am doing my body good :) I will NEVER go back to my old way of eating again!!

The one thing my doctor and nutritionist has told me to do on this type of plan is to drink LOTS of water so I make sure I get in at least 100 oz. of water daily and no less than 80 oz. daily. My doctor and nutritionist are happy with the results I am getting and I am too :)

Fantastic!!! I love to hear this. I have been missing you on the Low Carb forum!!!
  • Atkins is good, don't get me wrong, thats how I lost my weight.
    But how is your doctor and nutritionist happy that your diet is mainly saturated fat?

Is true that you need everything in moderation, but I would have thought they would be concerned that your diet is high is saturated fats? I am!! ??
  • July24Lioness
    Atkins is good, don't get me wrong, thats how I lost my weight.
    But how is your doctor and nutritionist happy that your diet is mainly saturated fat?

Is true that you need everything in moderation, but I would have thought they would be concerned that your diet is high is saturated fats? I am!! ??

Saturated fats are not bad for you, actually any fat that is made in nature is good for you. Since I have switched to a high saturated fats and got rid of all PUFA's (aka vegetable oils) - my cholesterol has went way down, triglyercides are in order and all of my other blood work is perfect.

I am on my way to reversing the Type 2 diabetes with the way I eat.
  • Cool! :)
  • MacguyverMommy
    MacguyverMommy Posts: 104 Member

Saturated fats are not bad for you, actually any fat that is made in nature is good for you. Since I have switched to a high saturated fats and got rid of all PUFA's (aka vegetable oils) - my cholesterol has went way down, triglyercides are in order and all of my other blood work is perfect.

Saturated fats ARE EXTREMELY BAD FOR YOU, in particular the ones that come from animal protein. :grumble: MONO and EFA's are OK though.
    When one is obese though, a quick way to jumpstart weight loss is via "atkins" method. South Beach is healthier for just" over weight" people, and much more sustainable as a lifestyle.
    High protein diets that do not incorporate veggies and fruits can cause people to have too much sodium intake, high cholesterol and triglycerides and also not enough fiber or minerals.

I have tried every diet out there: Atkins made me lose weight, have horrible breath and be miserable at parties (no cake) until I discovered the land of fake/processed sugar free stuff... which gave me horrendous cramps and gas.

When my mom was pregnant (5'5 ~125lbs before pregnant), the doctor advised her to eat "more protein" while pregnant, but not more "food" to prevent gaining too much pregnancy weight. This was 1981 and he suggested 80-90 grams of protein... even while pregnant! SO--- WE REALLY DONT NEED that much, but I suppose its OK to have extra here and there while dieting, as long as its low fat.

Currently, mom lives a variation of "atkins" but not being in ketosis for more than 3 days at a time. She loved eating 'high protein' so much that it stuck with her. She eats fruit only in the am and also will have pasta every once in awhile (were Italian). She loves her red meat and I have finally gotten her to eat egg whites, low fat mozarella and spinach for breakfast as opposed to regular eggs with cheddar cheese. Small adjustments like that work on atkins, which help you to get all the nutrients and folage we need.

I am a vegetarian and somehow end up eating between 60-80 grams of protein a day.... FLESH FREE. go figure! :blushing:
    Eat veggies and eat fruits.... ALWAYS! :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness

Saturated fats ARE EXTREMELY BAD FOR YOU, in particular the ones that come from animal protein. :grumble: MONO and EFA's are OK though.
    When one is obese though, a quick way to jumpstart weight loss is via "atkins" method. South Beach is healthier for just" over weight" people, and much more sustainable as a lifestyle.
    High protein diets that do not incorporate veggies and fruits can cause people to have too much sodium intake, high cholesterol and triglycerides and also not enough fiber or minerals.

I have tried every diet out there: Atkins made me lose weight, have horrible breath and be miserable at parties (no cake) until I discovered the land of fake/processed sugar free stuff... which gave me horrendous cramps and gas.

When my mom was pregnant (5'5 ~125lbs before pregnant), the doctor advised her to eat "more protein" while pregnant, but not more "food" to prevent gaining too much pregnancy weight. This was 1981 and he suggested 80-90 grams of protein... even while pregnant! SO--- WE REALLY DONT NEED that much, but I suppose its OK to have extra here and there while dieting, as long as its low fat.

Currently, mom lives a variation of "atkins" but not being in ketosis for more than 3 days at a time. She loved eating 'high protein' so much that it stuck with her. She eats fruit only in the am and also will have pasta every once in awhile (were Italian). She loves her red meat and I have finally gotten her to eat egg whites, low fat mozarella and spinach for breakfast as opposed to regular eggs with cheddar cheese. Small adjustments like that work on atkins, which help you to get all the nutrients and folage we need.

I am a vegetarian and somehow end up eating between 60-80 grams of protein a day.... FLESH FREE. go figure! :blushing:
    Eat veggies and eat fruits.... ALWAYS! :flowerforyou:

You are very incorrect, saturated animal fats are NATURAL fats, and they are not bad for you. I will debate and argue this point with anyone until the end.

How did I have extremely HIGH cholesterol and triglycerides BEFORE starting Atkins and now maintain healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels when I cut out SUGAR most natural and processed? My cholesterol and triglycerides dropped drastically when I added in saturated fats and took out grains and sugar.

And I do eat veggies. That 10% of my daily eating that is carbs is all vegetables. We don't "need" fruit. I look at fruit as an occasional dessert for myself.
  • MacguyverMommy
    I think your health improved because you lost weight, plain and simple.
    As far as everything else goes....Oh dear.
    Well I think you are wrong and you think I am wrong. :mad:
    We will just have to agree to disagree then. Unfortuneatly, I am just as stubborn as you are, it seems. :blushing:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Most recommendations (from any reliable health source) are for 15-30% of energy coming from protein. Yes, high protein can absolutely damage your kidneys. Protein puts extra strain on kidneys - you won't see it now, you won't see it in 5-10 years but as people age, their kidney function decreases naturally. For people who have maintained high protein diets, this progression is much, much faster and much more severe.

Sometimes I might advise a high protein diet to a patient but only if it is for a controlled period of very low calorie diet... Now, I say high protein because the % of calories from protein is higher but that is only because the calorie content is so low. The total protein intake is still quite low (less than 100g/day). Other than that, I'm not sure dietitians prescribe high protein diets at all (well, certainly not for people trying to lose weight!).
  • lilmissy2

You are very incorrect, saturated animal fats are NATURAL fats, and they are not bad for you. I will debate and argue this point with anyone until the end.

I just don't get the whole natural debate. You know sugar is natural, right? I mean sure, we pull it out of the cane but dont we cut our meat up? Now I'm not saying sugar is good for you, actually that's exactly my point because I don't think saturated fats are good for you either.

Actually to be honest, I don't really understand the statement 'saturated animal fats are natural fats' unless of course you have your own animals that run about and live in the wild as they please and you just hunt them and eat them... most of our meat is from animals that are caged (to varying extents) and fed to ensure fast development and they have much more fat than the same type of animal in the wild should ever have... not really what I call natural.
  • MacguyverMommy

I just don't get the whole natural debate. You know sugar is natural, right? I mean sure, we pull it out of the cane but dont we cut our meat up? Now I'm not saying sugar is good for you, actually that's exactly my point because I don't think saturated fats are good for you either.

Actually to be honest, I don't really understand the statement 'saturated animal fats are natural fats' unless of course you have your own animals that run about and live in the wild as they please and you just hunt them and eat them... most of our meat is from animals that are caged (to varying extents) and fed to ensure fast development and they have much more fat than the same type of animal in the wild should ever have... not really what I call natural.

Its really not up for debate. I think Lion has a a diet seen under the supervision of a doctor.
    I know it sounds wierd, but when some people are obese, they NEED to lose weight ASAP to get healthy, like their hearts are working soo hard that an immediate change is needed to lower blood pressure, pressure on joints, help organs...etc. So doctoris tell them to do the Atkins way, in order to jumpstart the weight loss quickly and also to tend to the emotional side of the obiesety (from food they enjoy, they will maintain a positive outlook on weight loss and the dreaded word DIET), as it is clearly an emotional addiciton. This way the meat and potato eaters still get their meat, and extra serving of it. Its kind of a manipulation of the mind. It absolutely works- per my brother in law the doctor, my 2 nutritionist friends (and 2 of my old nutritionists) and my 3 personal trainer friends.

Once these obese people lose the weight, obviously, doctors tell them to eat a balanced diet. :bigsmile:
  • lilmissy2

Its really not up for debate. I think Lion has a a diet seen under the supervision of a doctor.
    I know it sounds wierd, but when some people are obese, they NEED to lose weight ASAP to get healthy, like their hearts are working soo hard that an immediate change is needed to lower blood pressure, pressure on joints, help organs...etc. So doctoris tell them to do the Atkins way, in order to jumpstart the weight loss quickly and also to tend to the emotional side of the obiesety (from food they enjoy, they will maintain a positive outlook on weight loss and the dreaded word DIET), as it is clearly an emotional addiciton. This way the meat and potato eaters still get their meat, and extra serving of it. Its kind of a manipulationof the mind. Once these obese people lose the weight, obviously, doctors tell them to eat a balanced diet. :bigsmile:

Well, a diet under the supervision of a doctor is one thing (not that as a registered dietitian I approve of that at all, not exactly their speciality) but sharing that advise with hundreds of people is another, so yes, I think it is up for debate.
  • MacguyverMommy
    I WOULD normally debate her, but as a vegetarian, I have fought this battle with many people and it seems like she has her own reasons eating that way. But if you're up for it... be my guest! :drinker:
  • lilmissy2
    Sorry, I didn't read that whole post but yes I agree that sometimes fast weight loss is required. Unfortunately, I don't think doctors always revert people back to healthy eating afterwards... and that's where the problem lies.
  • July24Lioness

I eat farmed raised meat where the animals are left to graze and it is natural. And to the contrary, store bought meats are fed to ensure fast development (as you mentioned) i get my chickens and eggs from natural sources also.

Basically eating anything that is grown (animals, plants) is eating natural.

Sugar is only natural in vegetables and fruits. Cane sugar is no good until it is processed, so it is no longer a natural product.
  • lilmissy2
    Oh Lion, I'm sorry I can never agree with this diet you use. I really do wish you the best and hope you don't pay for it with health problems that you aren't anticipating later in life.
This discussion has been closed.