Do you wash cabbage???

Options
2»

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I wash the head of cabbage before cutting. Then, I wash the smaller segments--after cutting. Why? If you peel leaf by leaf, you see sand and dirt collected as the cabbage grew. So, yes, I wash my cabbage.

That's how I would do it. Some veggies (such as leeks) you have to wash that way exactly for that reason. They catch dirt, sand, and bug-life in the leaves.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I usually just peel off the outer leaves and don't wash it but a rinse and a spin in the salad spinner wouldn't hurt ... I guess.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    i never wash mine I peel off a few layers but thats all no one touches the inside
  • zenobiapeace
    Options
    To me I have to wash my fresh veggies, the motto or saying that's comes to my mind is "better safe than sorry". :)
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have never washed a fruit of vegetable in my life and I'm pretty healthy. I get my dirty vitamins this way.

And your kids really ask for cabbage? That's good, just don't hear that often.

Lord yes. They love raw onions, raw cabbage, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower as far as their favorites go. I love almost all vegetables myself. Maybe I passed it on to them.
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Anyone who has ever worked in a half decent food establishment will know to was EVERYTHING that isn't pre-packaged. You never know what has crawled into your food, whether is be treated or organic. I once found a small dead mouse in a head of lettuce! Needless to say the lettuce was thrown out but washing will get rid of smaller bugs and dirt that could contain harmful bacteria.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My mama always said, "You never know what worker in the field relieved himself around your cabbage when it was growing or being picked." I think about that every time I think about NOT washing my cabbage.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I usually peel off the outer leaves and wash them. I don't normally wash the inside unless I see dirt.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I also worked in produce ages ago and my manager made similar comments as said in a previous post. They really didn't care if we grazed on the fruits and vegetables, just as long as we washed them first. An unbelievable amount of pesticide is used. That and they're handled by a lot of customers seeking out the perfect one!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My mama always said, "You never know what worker in the field relieved himself around your cabbage when it was growing or being picked." I think about that every time I think about NOT washing my cabbage.

Here's a good one. If they are peeing in the field, then it is actually making its way INTO the vegetables via the roots. Field worker makes tinkle in cabbage field, field gets watered as usual, tinkle gets washed further into the soil and is then absorbed by the roots into the vegetable. Bon appe'tite.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I usually cut mine, then soak in a vinegar/water solution for a bit and give it a good rinse.