How do you maintain muscle?

Options
May seem like a bit of a silly question, and it is totally irrelevant to me at this very moment but I was thinking of something last night.

I know how to maintain body weight. But how does one maintain the amount of muscle mass they have, without getting more muscular? For instance, when I get to my goal completely, and I am happy with the amount of muscle I have, how would I maintain that look/amount without making my muscles more prominent? Is it a trial and error thing to find out what works? I was just curious. Thanks!

Replies

• jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Dont increase the weight your lifting. If you dont increase the demand on them, they wont see the need to get bigger.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of protein and lift the same amount of weight. If you can, do more. Maintaining strength is a good indicator of minimal muscle loss. Make sure you eat enough too.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Oooh that makes total sense. I don't know why I just could not figure out how to maintain muscle lol Thanks jp :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Like others have stated: Maintain the right amount of protein, maintain the calorie intake to stay at maintenance, lift weights but you can still increase poundages (to a point) without adding muscle. To add muscle is to add weight and without a surplus, it's practically impossible to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Eat protein, and use your muscles. Its truly a case of use it or lose it.