Gluten & lactose free meals

Options
MichelleMac58
MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
I'm missing pasta so bad ...any good tasty substitutes out there for us gluten free folks?

Replies

• trevebyn
    trevebyn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can get gluten free pasta that tastes ok. In the UK there is one aimed at toddlers that is boil in the bag and is a small portion so less temptation.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thai rice noodles (cellophane noodles?). They're even more or less no cook - you just soak them i a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes. Good with stir fry or pretty much any other meat/veg/sauce combo.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Rice Noodles (like the kind used in Phad Thai), spaghetti squash, or spiralized zucchini.

I love yams for my carbs :)

Avocado makes a wonderful cream sauce, or coconut milk.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I always make a veggie lasagna w/out noodles....it's AWESOME!! In place of the noodles, slice zuchinni the long way and put down as you would with lasagna noodles, oh my gosh you are not going to miss noodles, believe me! :smile: :happy: :bigsmile:
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have found a brown rice pasta that when slightly overcooked is pretty spot on to regular pasta. Luv it. I have also seen Quinoa pasta but haven't tried it yet. You can actually find a lot of choices online (amazon actually) if you don't have a local grocery that carries alternatives.
  • mdawson47
    mdawson47 Posts: 51
    Options
    You can get gluten free pasta in most supermarkets, they are in the free from section.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa noodles/pasta and once the sauce is on it I can't taste the difference!
    They're a bit lower in carbs than the rice ones, which is why I like them.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    If you can get corn pasta, its MUCH better tasting than the brown rice stuff.
    I find with the brown rice pasta it gets this weird slimy gluey thing happening. Corn spaghetti and corn macaroni are FANTASTIC.
  • MichelleMac58
    Options
    Thanks for all your ideas....I've tried the rice pasta...zucchini lasagna, brown rice pasta...others I'm still searching for...great substitutes ladies!!
  • Sarasuecarnahan
    Options
    my husband and I recently went gluten free and we have found at Krogers and Walmart Annie's shells and cheese is the best. I would also recommend looking at rice noodles in your local supper market they are good. we tried the corn pastas they where very bland and clumped together. Good Luck !
  • trainlady1107
    trainlady1107 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is also a Shirataki Noodles which aren't too bad if you really want to keep your calories low. With sauce it's pretty good and with a stir fry. Only 20 calories per serving, so it really depends on just how low you want to keep the calories. Also the corn pasta is pretty good.

Good luck
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    try skinnytaste.com :) they've got a whole bunch of meals of all kinds (see the right of the loaded page)
  • Zinniya
    Zinniya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love Veneziane brand pasta. I first had it in a restaurant and did not believe it was gluten free. The chef wrote down the name for me so I could buy it myself. I can not find it locally, so I buy it from Amazon by the case. I believe that it is imported from Italy.
  • MichelleMac58
    Options
    Wow more options....thanks so much !:smile:
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    Jovial pasta is great and you can get it on Amazon although it looks like it has gone up quite a bit in price. My last order was in November and it was 17.85 for 6 boxes. (try not to eat pasta too much).

I refuse to pay more than $3 for a box of pasta! I am totally bummed that the price went up so high.
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Jovial brown rice pasta (available on Amazon if you can't find it locally) is tons better than any other I've tried. I like the Ancient Grains quinoa pasta too.

glutenfreegirl.com is a great source of recipes. She has celiac and her husband doesn't tolerate dairy well. Many of her recipes focus on good food that is naturally gluten-free, or has an easy swap.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I use a brand of gluten free pasta thats made out of corn instead of brown rice. The brand is called Sam Mills gluten free corn pasta. I did not like the texture of the rice pasta. This corn pasta is the closest that I have found to real pasta. My husband even eats it now with no complaints because it tastes and has the same texture as real pasta. I am allergic to wheat and my husband is not. If you do get this the only thing that the package does not state while cooking is to make sure you drain and rinse the pasta after it is finished cooking. There are alot of starches that come out while cooking and it just tastes better if you rinse it before serving.
  • Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered Kelp noodles. Kelp is seaweed but its clear and looks like noodles. They are raw and you don't really have to cook them. Only soak for about 10 minutes or so. I love adding them to cooked broccoli with garlic, sriracha hot sauce, and tamari soy sauce. Yum!
  • MichelleMac58
    Options
    Ask and you shall receive...so much info to share! Thanks again