Protein after working out

Options
Hey everyone.

My dietitian recommended that I start lifting now that I have lost a decent amount of weight. I am also starting to play a lot of racquetball with burns an absolute ton of calories. Do any of you guys have a specific protein powder that you would recommend? I don't plan on eating back all of the calories burned since I tend to work out later in the evening. I would, however, like to have a protein shake as an option. I have looked at several at the local GNC and I want a lower calorie powder that I can mix with some almond milk for 300-500 calories at the end of the evening.

Any specific brands or types would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Syntha 6, although it can get a little pricey.
  • NYFAN07
    NYFAN07 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to use Optimum Nutrition 100 percent whey. It tastes ok and is $50 for a 5 pound tub with a calorie content of 120 with 24 grams of protein per serving.
  • MissRae123
    MissRae123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like muscle milk. I prefer it with water over milk most days
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Tera'swhey. They have many varieties and flavors, but my favorite is the "Grass-Fed" organic. http://www.teraswhey.com/
    Shop it for best prices, but Lucky Vitamin has it on sale for 16.00 and change right now. I just ordered a few containers of it from them, so I could get free shipping.
    http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-239125-teras-whey-organic-whey-protein-plain-whey-12-oz
    I also very much like Garden of Life's "Raw Protein", which is plant based, but (non-soy protein. I don't eat soy or soy products.) Lucky Vitamin had an OK price on it. You can find it so many places, so shop it for best price too.
    http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-32528-garden-of-life-raw-protein-beyond-organic-protein-formula-22-oz

I use the Tera'swhey for coffee creamer each morning, so my cup o' joe gives me 22 g of protein each day. :)
    I also make an awesome chocolate milk shake, by mixing a frozen banana. (I peel them, then stash them in zip lock bags in the freezer.) a handful of smaller ice cubes, a cup and a half of Silk, unsweetened almond milk (30 cal. per 1 cup serving), 2 Tbsp. of raw cacao powder (Mmmmm!), 2 scoops of Tera'swhey (22 g protein), 1 scoop of Raw Protein, 3 little packets of stevia. Makes a luxurious chocolate milk shake for after my workouts. :) ...and it contains 44 grams of protein. I feel great after I drink it and this recipe makes a huge portion, so I can really pig out and not break my calorie bank. :D

I mix a scoop or two of Raw Protein in with my green smoothies.

I love the company ethics of Tera'swhey too.
    http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=29643

EDIT: I should have said: Tera'swhey Grass Fed Organic Whey Protein is 110 cal. per 2 scoop serving (28.4g), with only 15 of those cal. being fat. 2 scoops is 22g protein.

Garden of Life's Raw Protein is 80 calories for a 1 scoop serving (22g), with none of that being fat and it has 17g of fiber per serving. It also contains a lot of other micro nutrients that you may be interested in too.
  • sjwright66
    Options
    Six Star - Elite Series Whey Protein is really good and you can get really good deals on it.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress for me. But honestly, a lot of whey out there is pretty high quality these days, even in big box stores. I consume my protein: Pre-pre, pre, intra, post, and post-post generally throughout the day. It's all good if you are working out, eating right, and generally making it happen.
  • deety3
    deety3 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm using NNW Whey Protein (112 Calories, 1 Carb, 2 Fat, 22 Protein). They sell it at Hy-Vee Grocery Stores.
  • krawl78
    krawl78 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love the Body Fortress Whey Isolate.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein shakes are great with only 110-120 calories and anywhere from 23-35g of protein.
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options
    Protein supplement opinions will be all over the place here I'm guessing. I would recommend one, but lets face it, most are pretty darn good. I've used Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, which is excellent. Even the Body Fortress that I buy at Walmart for $15, is good and I'm all about saving money. I like getting the vanilla and mixing in banana, cinnamon, oats, berries, pumpkin, apple sauce, or whatever your palate desires.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    See if you can get your hands on some samples, and just get the one that you like best and fits in your budget.
  • danboomin
    Options
    Google BCAA Profile (branch chain amino acids). Start there. A good powder would be one that has the first ingredient as whey protein ISOLATE. Stay away from concentrates anywhere in the ingredient list. Price wise, a good starter powder is Six Star Pro Nutrition - Whey Isolate Elite Series. Search for it on Amazon. I set up the Subscribe & Save and buy one chocolate and one vanilla so I also get the free super saver shipping (by spending more than $25). They've recently improved their powder and it has an even stronger BCAA profile now. It also is super low-cal and tastes great, in addition to mixing easily.

Another thing I do is mix my protein sources which research shows to be best. I'll sprinkle the vanilla powder on my Kashi Go Lean cereal in the morning (soy protein). Which makes it taste better and boosts the different proteins. I also eat 1-2 soft boiled eggs with it. So I'm getting milk protein, soy protein, whey isolate, and protein from the eggs. Eggs are a COMPLETE protein (all 9 BCAAs) and a quick, cheap, and easy way to reach your protein goals.

Another thing you may want to explore is a creatine supplement. I buy the Vitacost brand powder because it has the name brand Creapure in it and it's the best value for Creapure based creatine I could find. Google creatine (and Creapure) and see if it's something you want to incorporate into your routine. It's not for everyone. But it's gave me very noticeable gains in addition to my protein regimen.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great information and products everyone. Definitely need to just start looking around at the local stores/GNC and see what there is available. I get more than the recommended amount of protein every day, but I know that since I have lost enough to get more active, that recommended number is way too low.

Thanks again guys!

(love this community)
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was searching for the potassium content of Raw Protein and found this interesting article.
    http://foodbabe.com/2012/12/13/the-healthiest-protein-powders-on-the-market/
  • fxgs
    fxgs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Go with Dymatize Iso-100, it's on of the best tasting and highly rated isolates made.
  • favhrnstr
    favhrnstr Posts: 55
    Options
    I've read a lot that plain old chocolate milk has just the right ratio of carbs:protein if you're looking for a cheap and easy option. I find a lot of the protein drinks to have a nasty fake flavor to them, and the tasty ones pretty much break the bank. If you're already seeing a dietician, couldn't she recommend something based on the rest of your diet?
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Instant Whey by Reflex Nutrition is the best I've encountered so far... I've tasted dymatize, optimum nutrition and Nutrisport but none of them taste as great as instant whey strawberry flavour!

Price is average but you won't regret it! Taste like a milkshake!