Jujutso?

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm contemplating joining a local martial arts school to learn jujutso. Has anyone done this? Just trying to figure out what I could expect from this particular martial art. I've done a little research on all of the various forms, but was hoping to get some insight from those that have done something similar.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    You ever watch the UFC? is it Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? If so, youtube Royce Gracie. If its the Brazilian variety, its involves a lot of grappling and submissions (assuming what i see on tv is true.)
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My mum used to do jujitsu, she loved it and said it got her really fit really quickly!

Benefits of Jujitsu Training

Self Improvement:
    Jujitsu training can increase self-confidence, mental focus, self-discipline, build balance and coordination, and reduce stress. These effects are potent, long lasting and can profoundly impact all aspects of the Jujitsu practitioner’s life.

Self Defense
    Jujitsu is a highly effective form of self-defense. Unlike the striking and kicking martial arts, the power of Jujitsu lies in its ability to harness and redirect the force of an attacker, allowing the practitioner to execute powerful techniques without possessing great size or strength.

Fitness
    Jujitsu is an excellent activity for improving fitness. A dedicated Jujitsu practitioner can expect to significantly improve strength, speed, endurance, muscle tone and flexibility, all in a vigorous and dynamic exercise environment.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Jiu Jutso is closely related I think. It's more of ground-based throws and pins than karate and others that are mostly hitting. At least that's what I've come to understand from a few google searches. I'll have to check him out.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    My mum used to do jujitsu, she loved it and said it got her really fit really quickly!

Benefits of Jujitsu Training

Self Improvement:
    Jujitsu training can increase self-confidence, mental focus, self-discipline, build balance and coordination, and reduce stress. These effects are potent, long lasting and can profoundly impact all aspects of the Jujitsu practitioner’s life.

Self Defense
    Jujitsu is a highly effective form of self-defense. Unlike the striking and kicking martial arts, the power of Jujitsu lies in its ability to harness and redirect the force of an attacker, allowing the practitioner to execute powerful techniques without possessing great size or strength.

Fitness
    Jujitsu is an excellent activity for improving fitness. A dedicated Jujitsu practitioner can expect to significantly improve strength, speed, endurance, muscle tone and flexibility, all in a vigorous and dynamic exercise environment.

oooh! I like the sound of all of that. Especially reduced stress, lol. I have a bad knee that gives me trouble sometimes and I guess I'm worried about that a little. Although I read on one site that since it is a lot less jumping and kicking than karate or kickboxing that is it much more knee-friendly.
  • cmyres
    cmyres Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    jujitsu is the martial art's solution to ground battles. In the early days most fighting was done standing up, and the Samurai's had to learn how to fight at all times including those rare times you go to the ground... Well Brazilian jujitsu is a predecessor and is the most popular form.
    Most classes are about an hour to two hours and just like greco roman wrestling it can tire you out.
    Beginning classes will teach more moves than let you practice full speed, but don't discount the fitness aspect. There's no "punching" in Brazilian jujitsu but there's a powerful blow with the pad of your hand, so if you're not looking for bruises need not apply.

There's intermediate moves that require flexibility but the main thing is that if you get started you'll work your way toward it.

Although there's no way to calculate how many calories you actually burned on MyFinessPal.com I will assure you that it's going to usually be on a good level, and you'll need to replenish a good amount of calories if you feel like you've had a good workout.

It's not supposed to be a muscular sport, and what I mean by that, is that it's technique over fitness wins. so beginners rejoice, although your muscle tone isn't the greatest, you'll be able to compete with beginners and intermediates fairly well.
    Of course skill with muscle is the definite pick.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    jujitsu is the martial art's solution to ground battles. In the early days most fighting was done standing up, and the Samurai's had to learn how to fight at all times including those rare times you go to the ground... Well Brazilian jujitsu is a predecessor and is the most popular form.
    Most classes are about an hour to two hours and just like greco roman wrestling it can tire you out.
    Beginning classes will teach more moves than let you practice full speed, but don't discount the fitness aspect. There's no "punching" in Brazilian jujitsu but there's a powerful blow with the pad of your hand, so if you're not looking for bruises need not apply.

There's intermediate moves that require flexibility but the main thing is that if you get started you'll work your way toward it.

Although there's no way to calculate how many calories you actually burned on MyFinessPal.com I will assure you that it's going to usually be on a good level, and you'll need to replenish a good amount of calories if you feel like you've had a good workout.

It's not supposed to be a muscular sport, and what I mean by that, is that it's technique over fitness wins. so beginners rejoice, although your muscle tone isn't the greatest, you'll be able to compete with beginners and intermediates fairly well.
    Of course skill with muscle is the definite pick.

Thank you! I was wondering about the calorie count because I checked and it didn't exist, but I figured full body grappling has to be pretty intense! lol. Good to know that beginner classes will still burn!

I've been going to the gym doing all sorts of crazy exercise, from weight lifting, to racquetball, cardio equipment, swimming, etc. So I'm not too worried about my muscular fitness in regards to keeping up at first (while I'm sure I can improve it, I'm not the cream puff I was in January!). Or bruises. I got over those when I took a racquet to the face (that'll teach you to duck!). I'd just prefer my knee to not pop out again!

I've just found that I really like doing different or unique workouts more so than just getting on an elliptical and trucking away. I got the idea of martial arts in my head and... I've been pretty excited to give it a shot!
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    Good luck and Arm Bar somebody for me! lol