Freezing fish/meat?

Hi!! I don't have a cold pack yet (I'l try to get one soon) and I'd like to be able to take some fish that I have left over on campus for me for lunch. I've got an insulated lunch box, but alas, I won't be able to get a cold pack for a while. Can I freeze fish or chicken, take it out around 7 and eat it for lunch at 11 or 12? Is that safe? It'll be in an insulated lunch box.

Replies

• boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Sounds fine to me - I'm assuming that the fish is cooked? If you don't have a cold pack you can freeze a small box of fruit juice or bottle of water and use that to keep your lunch cold. Even a zip-lock bag with water in it will do as long as you make sure it's properly sealed (or double up with a couple of bags to be safe).
  • hausisse
    hausisse Posts: 90
    The water bottle and layering ziploc bags idea are awesome, I hadn't thought of that! Thank you so much!
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    You can freeze meat and then thaw it in something that's cooled, but not just like leave it out on the counter. That's not safe and not the proper way to thaw things.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    What? You can defrost items at room temperature ( provided there's no dogs around)