A couple of completely unrelated questions

Options
I have two issues that I'm pretty sure are related to weight loss, but I just want to verify, because I really haven't seen anyone talking about them. I just hope I'm not weird.

The first, kind of silly one but not really, is does losing weight make anyone else itch? Like, I've noticed that as I start to lose more and more weight I get these strange itchy spots in places that I never knew could itch before. Mainly around my belly button and on the back of my upper thighs. I've chalked this up to possibly skin shrinking as the weight comes off, but I'm just hazarding a guess there. Like, it's not bad enough to make me want to ask a doctor about it, it's just... odd.

The second one is that I go through days every so often that I don't want to eat really anything at all. Like, I'm not hungry and have no appetite. Usually I force myself to eat something, but I don't each much. Like, yesterday the only thing I really ate was half of a small plate of nachos I was sharing with a friend. Other than that, I just simply forgot about eating. It just didn't occur to me that it was a thing I needed to do. Is that sort of loss of appetite normal? I feel like I should be hungry way more often than I am, but I'm just not. Also, after days like that is it okay to go over your recommended calorie intake? I'm not talking about going on a binge, just maybe 300-400 calories more than what you would normally eat? Basically an extra meal.

Replies

• kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any itchy skin but I have noticed a loss of appetite some days. But other days it feels like I can't get enough. Maybe it is just our metabolism trying to figure out what we are doing.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I never forget to eat. Ever.
  • kwitherspoon19
    kwitherspoon19 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm suffering from loss of appetite right now. I had to up my calories also bc I wasn't eating enough, and so it's even harder for me to maintain a certain calorie now. I think once my desire to eat (based on boredom, emotions, etc) went away the thought of just eating doesn't really even occur to me anymore. I have to remind myself to eat which is so not like me lol
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you're doing more exercise and sweating more, maybe that's where the itch is coming from?
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    The way I get rid of itching is to wash the area with grapefruit seed extract with a little water. It kills fungus, microbials, and parasites so it's an all in one treatment. A cheaper way is just to use baking soda for itching but it not really effective against pathogens.
  • KaraKramerRapp
    KaraKramerRapp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple friends who are using this ap with me, and we help each other out. When I go log food, I'll check my friends diary, and if they haven't eaten, i'll send them a text reminder, and also encouragement when I see exercise on my feed. It helps having someone else working with you.

As for "binging" I'll allow myself one day every couple weeks to have fun, and not worry so much. (Every other friday my step son comes over for the weekend and we do pizza ice cream and a movie) I still track things so I am aware and held accountable for it, but I relax and don't stress if I go over (Which I normally do)

It's important to allow yourself the freedom to enjoy eating, but do so in moderation. Eat ice cream, but only that 1/2 cup. Have a candy bar, maybe share it with a child. Especially on special occasions. Birthdays, Christmas, Easter, even just a night out with friends. Loosing weight and eating healthy is not a short term thing, but a life time change. If we hate it, we won't continue doing it.
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I definitely leave myself cheat days where I just eat whatever, and I don't really feel bad about those at all. I just don't really know what I should do on the days after I haven't eaten anything. Like, do I try to eat some of those calories back, or do I just shrug it off and continue as normal?

I did find another thread about itchiness here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/228631-itchy-skin-when-losing-weight so apparently it happens to a lot of people. I'm just glad I'm not the only one.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    The itchiness can be from many things,stretch marks,sweat or dehydration.

I also have days that I'm not hungry.If it's my day off I workout more and don't tend to get as hungry.

Also,I'm busy when I'm at home and don't have the urge to snack as often as I do when I'm tied to my desk.
  • KaraKramerRapp
    KaraKramerRapp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't try to "make up" the calories. Chalk it up the same way you do when you have free days. Start fresh the following morning. You don't want to start the "yo-yo" diet. Where you binge one day, and starve the next.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It could be from not enough healthy fats in your diet if you aren't eating much.