Need help! Quick, healthy, low sodium food ideas

medrewiske
medrewiske Posts: 51 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I've been trying to get my mom to join this website, or really just do anything to help her lose weight and eat healthier. She thinks she is doing alright becasue she doesn't over eat, but the stuff she eats is awful, her diet consists mainly chips & pop.:noway: I'm totally serious. And she has started eating the frozen dinners like Smart ones & lean cuisine. Which I guess is a step in the right direction, but it is still really high in salt. No surprise, she has high blood pressure.

I'm trying to come up with a list of foods that are quick (especially stuff she could take on the go or bring to work) , healthy and are not super high in sodium. I'm trying to reduce the number of excuses she has to get going on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm talking food from breakfast, snacks, dinner, everything.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    You should check out the link below. LadyofIvy took the time to type out all of the healthy snacks that have been suggested on MFP. I got a lot of ideas from it. Best of luck to your mom.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/44447-the-big-list-of-healthy-snacks
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    I shop at Acme which has store brand instant oatmeal, low sugar, apples and cinnamon. I mix it with one scoop of protein powder and 2/3 cup of water and nuke it. For lunch, I like to buy those rotisserie chickens that are already cooked. I break it down and store in tupperware. 4 oz of chicken on a Trader Joe's flaxseed tortilla wrap with 3 slices of tomato and 1 tbsp of hummus is an awesome lunch. I get the frozen steamer bags of veggies which take 4 1/2 minutes in the microwave and have 1 cup of brocoli with my lunch.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    to start this might take time but in the long run it will be fast.

How about making large quantities of meals, like chili (using fresh dry beans), spaghetti (whole wheat pasta), split pea soup, or any other things then freezing them in serving size containers.

I do this all the time, whenever I'm making dinner I like to double the recipe and then I put the extras in individual serving sizes in quart size zip lock bags and freeze, that way all I have to do is rip open the bag and put on a plate or bowel and microwave.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    fruit and vegetables
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Terra's Sweet Potato Chips have 160 cal and 10g of sodium per serving.
This discussion has been closed.