Eggs?

Options

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    For the record, that lady I know who recently received her gout diagnosis, had never had any previous problems. Just sayin.

Correlation =\= causation

also :huh:

I reread through the thread and saw no mention of a woman with gout, with or without previous problems. Am I missing something?

In reference to the spinach debate. A perfectly healthy woman I know never had any such issues. Once including about 2 cups of spinach a day into her diet, she developed gout. And her kidneys are fine. She has been off the spinach and has seen improvement in her gout.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    For the record, that lady I know who recently received her gout diagnosis, had never had any previous problems. Just sayin.

I reread through the thread and saw no mention of a woman with gout, with or without previous problems. Am I missing something?

In reference to the spinach debate. A perfectly healthy woman I know never had any such issues. Once including about 2 cups of spinach a day into her diet, she developed gout. And her kidneys are fine. She has been off the spinach and has seen improvement in her gout.

Not exactly the norm. I guess there are some special snowflakes in this world but I think most of us are perfectly fine consuming spinach daily.
    Options

Not exactly the norm. I guess there are some special snowflakes in this world but I think most of us are perfectly fine consuming spinach daily.

AGAIN... I never suggested anyone NOT eat spinach. I only MENTIONED moderation. Then the usual bandwagon rolled througfh tha one tiny point is all anyone can think about. I only mentioned moderation. Why do people here have such a hard time with moderation. It seems to be frowned upon.... strange for a "community" whose goal is to better their health.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My diet has zero cholesterol and I'm so happy I don't have to worry about it like they did. :)

What does a 0 cholesterol diet look like? No shrimp, no eggs, no avocado, no chocolate . . . okay. Low, sure. But 0? That sounds harder than no gluten.

My diary is open if you want to have a look. I'm vegan (I'm not vegan because of cholesterol, but it is a nice bonus). Only animals make cholesterol, you can't get it from plant foods.

There is no cholesterol in avocados.
    It's easy to find chocolate without cholesterol, just look for ones with no milkfat.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    5 eggs a week seems perfectly reasonable to me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    My diet has zero cholesterol and I'm so happy I don't have to worry about it like they did. :)

What does a 0 cholesterol diet look like? No shrimp, no eggs, no avocado, no chocolate . . . okay. Low, sure. But 0? That sounds harder than no gluten.

My diary is open if you want to have a look. I'm vegan (I'm not vegan because of cholesterol, but it is a nice bonus). Only animals make cholesterol, you can't get it from plant foods.

It's easy to find chocolate without cholesterol, just look for ones with no milkfat.
    I don't worry about cholesterol, it's the refined carbs, sugar, the rancid refined vegetable oils and most processed foods, all plant based, weird isn't it, perspective is a funny thing.
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    I don't worry about cholesterol, it's the refined carbs, sugar, the rancid refined vegetable oils and most processed foods, all plant based, weird isn't it, perspective is a funny thing.

I don't know if this was meant to be a stab at my diary and the way I eat or what, but just to be clear, I'm not vegan for health reasons. I don't advocate veganism for health, I don't think cholesterol consumption is harmful for most people, and I don't think it's unhealthy to consume animal products.

About the point you made, though, it is certainly not necessary to eat those things on a vegan diet. Furthermore, not all rancid oils and processed foods are plant based.

You know what ARE plant based though? Almost all natural poisons. I don't eat those. LOL, perspective.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I eat two eggs a day, today I had three, so I say eat up!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat almost a dozen full eggs a week :laugh:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Ah, in that case I will reiterate: Correlation =\= causation (ummm, especially with a sample size of 1).
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Too much of almost anything is bad for you. And an Internet discussion board may not be the most reliable place to go for medical advice.

That said, with a bit of Internet search, it looks like 1 egg a day poses very little risk (i.e., not "too much"). On the other hand, eating the same diet daily means that you may not get the variety of nutrients necessary to be healthy. My personal opinion is that your salad is one healthy lunch, but it would be a good plan to identify other healthy lunches too.

== More Information about Eggs in Diet ==

"Recent research has shown that moderate egg consumption—up to one a day—does not increase heart disease risk in healthy individuals (1, 2) and can be part of a healthy diet." - from a summary of research, Harvard School of Public Health

"If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 300 milligrams (mg) a day. ... One large egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day." - Mayo Clinic, http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

"Infrequent egg consumption does not seem to influence the risk of CVD in male physicians. In addition, egg consumption was positively related to mortality, more strongly so in diabetic subjects, in the study population." - American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/4/964.abstract
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs 2-3 times each week...each time, 6-8 eggs.

In for learning that my death is certain and imminent.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs 2-3 times each week...each time, 6-8 eggs.

In for learning that my death is certain and imminent.

Jof, keep up. Eggs are cool, but spinach will getcha'.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

I didn't know that. It's not quite true, but it's very, very close:

http://wavefunction.fieldofscience.com/2006/10/cholesterol-in-plants-fun-fact.html

Interesting!
  • holothuroidea
    Options

I didn't know that. It's not quite true, but it's very, very close:

http://wavefunction.fieldofscience.com/2006/10/cholesterol-in-plants-fun-fact.html

Interesting!

LOL

I have one of the biochem books (Lehninger) they list as not mentioning cholesterol in plants.

This isn't the first time that my biochem education has steered me wrong. Where would I be without the internet? :D

I won't say my diet has zero cholesterol anymore, I will now say it has infinitesimal cholesterol.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I recently began a spinach salad kick and have been eating them pretty consistently for lunch with a little bit of hard boiled egg and honey mustard for dressing. Sometimes I'll substitute the egg for turkey and a sprinkle of shredded cheese. My question is, is eating 1 hard boiled egg an average of 5 days a week bad? I do not have any cholesterol problems, but is that too much for one week?

I generally eat a MINIMUM of one hard boiled egg per day.

It's not the yoke cholesterol that'll get ya- it's the fat you're frying an egg in. Eggs get a bad rap. It's a complete protein, one of very few.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have 2 eggs a day. I'm not one of those wimps who only has the whites. Either eat the FULL egg or don't bother....... it's a waste otherwise.
  • chkn_WANG_Train
    Options
    Am I seeing double?
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Eggs got a bad rap in the late 80s early 90s and for some reason people can't get past the stigma that they aren't good for you. Eggs are a perfect package nutritionally. I eat 1-2 hard boiled eggs daily. They fill me up and are delicious. I say keep eating them.
    Options

Ah, in that case I will reiterate: Correlation =\= causation (ummm, especially with a sample size of 1).
    It CAUSED her gout. As I truly am obligated to go there with you. Get off of your high horse.