Exercise-induced rhinitis-AKA your nose also likes to run!

Options
So recently I found out I have this. I was talking to a trainer in the gym earlier and he said he had never heard of it but I'm SURE more people must experience the dreaded runny nose and coughing on the cardio machines!

Also the reason I unfortunately don't swim. Tissues and swimming pools do not mix :)

Anyone else suffer?

Replies

• nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yesssss this is me! I start running and my nose turns into a faucet! I only run outside and find it's actually better on damp/humid days and worse on dry days. Something that sort of helped me was drinking a glass of lemon water a hour or so before going running. I did this because I started producing a lot of mucus in my throat too, and read somewhere that it would help. I figured it wouldn't hurt! It doesn't turn off the nose completely, but seems to delay it a bit. So annoying!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Yep - mainly with running. Could be cold, could be hot out but my nose is always running. Indoor strength training doesn't seem to be an issue. I just always put a couple of Kleenex in my pocket before I go out for a run.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    yes to the nose and yes to the mucus in the throat and the coughing

I take my inhalers before run and have a candy in mouth and an antihistamine daily when the snow starts melting lol
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too while I walk indoors on my treadmill or when I'm hooping.
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes I have this issue too.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I blow my nose like 4 times before I leave the house because no matter what the weather is, it runs! I usually just end up blowing it in my t-shirts...which is gross but gets it off my face. Also, I cough up phlegm but I figured it was residue from my 3 sinus infections last fall.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep I cough & sniffle my way running.

Only outdoors though.

It's because of all the crap in the air & your nose is trying to get rid of it as it normally does, only it's mixed with the cardio at the same time so it makes it worse.

It's not unusual & your trainer sounds like an idiot. I'll bet your trainer has it as well.

Thing is it should not make a difference in the swimming pool cause well.... it's all wet & you don't breathe through your nose when under.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I have Athletic onset asthma. I cough whenever I run, SO I DON'T. However, my nose gets runny whenever my heart rate gets up there. I didn't know that was a thing.
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    So recently I found out I have this. I was talking to a trainer in the gym earlier and he said he had never heard of it but I'm SURE more people must experience the dreaded runny nose and coughing on the cardio machines!

Also the reason I unfortunately don't swim. Tissues and swimming pools do not mix :)

Anyone else suffer?

Yes me!!!! How do we fix it!... I thought I was the only one....
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me too but doesn't anymore for some reason. I'm not sure what you can do - I say use a nasal spray before exercise but nasal sprays can cause rebound rhinitis if used regularly.
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Anyone else suffer?

Yes me!!!! How do we fix it!... I thought I was the only one....

Like the post below yours, apparently there are nasal sprays but I'm a bit skeptical of going down a chemical route...

Would like to try the lemon water that someone above has suggested.

Ashlinmarie - I also do this when I am out riding my horse, no time for tissues on the trails either. Helps it's usually isolated so I can look like a mess in peace. Maybe the horse judges though.

Apart from that, here's to the runny nosers!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I start sniffin up boogs.