Pole Video

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for posting! I have been taking pole classes one on one with a coach for a couple months and I can't even get to the dang top yet. You have some pretty good holds there and I was really impressed.

It's a great workout if even one isn't good at it because you can do all sorts of stretches with the pole, squats, pull ups, climb holds, etc. The first time I took a pole class I was way more sore than the prior weekend when I learned how to cross country ski and did it for several hours. I love it and am seeing mega results in my upper back and should definition. It can be a killer body weight workout.

Thanks again and congrats! Keep on posting. Very inspirational.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Thanks suv and kschr.

Thanks Kelly. It is definitely a great workout. From the beginning my whole body would be so sore. Since IVe gotten more used to it I dont get as sore anymore. Sometimes I do actual workouts too, instead of pole moves (like the move when I hold on with my thighs and lean back, I'll do crucnhes). I love it.. I get carried away without even noticing that my body is actually getting a workout from it.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I've thought of taking classes. They have them here but they're $65/month which is a lot.

My biggest, burning question though, is the following: how do you not slide back down the pole?! I feel like my hands would get sweaty, and since I have tiny hands, I'd have trouble holding on to begin with!
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You done great Jessi!! Wish I could do it lol
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Options
    When Im practicing new moves my hands still get sweaty, you can see me wipe my hands on my shirt a couple times in the video too. But once you get used to the moves and more confident your hands dont sweat anymore. The brand of pole I have is an Xpole, which comes in 40mm, 45mm, and 50mm. If you have small hands a 40 mm would be best for you. I have a 50mm. I bought that one cuz I heard it was best for learning leg holds, which I figured would come way harder to me than hand holds. Now since Ive gotten pretty decent Id like to buy another pole in 40 or 45. Im starting to try flag pole moves etc, which I think a smaller pole would come in handier. 45mm are the ones used in competitions.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    When Im practicing new moves my hands still get sweaty, you can see me wipe my hands on my shirt a couple times in the video too. But once you get used to the moves and more confident your hands dont sweat anymore. The brand of pole I have is an Xpole, which comes in 40mm, 45mm, and 50mm. If you have small hands a 40 mm would be best for you. I have a 50mm. I bought that one cuz I heard it was best for learning leg holds, which I figured would come way harder to me than hand holds. Now since Ive gotten pretty decent Id like to buy another pole in 40 or 45. Im starting to try flag pole moves etc, which I think a smaller pole would come in handier. 45mm are the ones used in competitions.
    Pole competitions...I had no idea. And I am also afraid to google it :D
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Pole competitions...I had no idea. And I am also afraid to google it :D

Someone posted a video of a performance in another thread yesterday. I'd try to find it again but I'm half asleep now.

ETA: Thanks for the info about sliding down the pole :P Maybe I can find a drop-in class to see if I like it. The studio is just across the street from my work.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Options
    Theres a few pole competitions every year in Canada and US. And actually, in other countries there are even young catagories. Other countries dont have the same stigma. Pole dancing actually started over 2000 years ago and was only sexualized in the US in the 80s. Dont want to get into that though, thats a whole nother huge thread, lol. I did see an incredible video of a 9 year old though, extremely skilled.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    lol. I want to wait until I'm not 305 pounds of pure fat (well, 95% fat, The other 5 is sarcasm.)
    Actually it would improve your sarcasm if you started now since strength training works wonders on body composition. You would lose more fat vs sarcasm. I dieted all my sarcasm away until I became skinny squishy bones. I had no sarcasm left lol. So I had to gain weight again to acquire some to work with. But this time with weight lifting. I really regret not training to begin with...its a lot harder to gain sarcasm when I could have been preserving what I had

And if you are larger you have a lot more sarcasm believe it or not, it just may not be firing in the right order. It would be amazing for your metabolism to try and keep it.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Options
    lol. I want to wait until I'm not 305 pounds of pure fat (well, 95% fat, The other 5 is sarcasm.)
    Actually it would improve your sarcasm if you started now since strength training works wonders on body composition. You would lose more fat vs sarcasm. I dieted all my muscles away until I became skinny squishy bones. I had no muscles left lol. So I had to gain weight again to acquire some to work with. But this time with weight lifting. I really regret not training to begin with...its a lot harder to gain muscle when I could have been preserving what I had

A girl I know lost 60 lbs, mostly from practicing pole. She changed her diet a bit healthier, but her only exercise is pole dancing. I blame my strenght gain, and back, shoulder, calf, thigh muscle defiinition solely on pole work. My abs are getting there too, but I guess thats the last place I'll lose weight. I have lost an inch and half though so far.

edit: blame sounds negative. I thank!
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    woah! how are you doing that!!:noway: Fantastic upper body strength there ...lower body too actually..this deserves to be in the Success forum not here :)
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Hell yea girl....that is awesome...makes me wanna go out and buy a pole! :drinker:
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Options
    Thanks Sam and Terri. And wow, great legs!
  • liftingcoach
    liftingcoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Fishhook LIKE!! You're very........limber and athletic! Seriously, nice job! Looking very good, keep up the good work!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    6/10 not bad, good job.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Options

And yes, theres definitely room for improvement, hopefully one day down the road I can turn that into a 10/10. :)
  • kmjacobs93
    kmjacobs93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just recently took a class, and I LOVED it! Do you have any self taught DVD recommendations? I'm moving into a house next week and I really want to install a pole.The class was pretty expensive, but my arms and legs defiantly got an awesome work out.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Options
    The Art of Pole by Jamilla Deville is a good dvd set. And I like emotioncatchers youtube video tutorials.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Very cool and impressive! Does the pole spin or is it stationary?
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Options
    It can be on spin or stationary, you just use an allen key at the base to change it.

eta. And it spins with momentum, not on its own.