Need Quick and Easy Produce Technique

Options
Calidaho
Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
While I love to cook, I haven't had time or energy to lately. I am going to the farmers market tomorrow to load up on healthy stuff but I don't want it to rot in the crisper while I decide to get takeout instead.

What are some simple ways to cook produce? I am thinking a quick saute but I wonder what kinds of seasonings or easy add ins I could use to make it delish. I am also getting a George Foreman grill (shame, we took back the three GFGs we got at our wedding 12 years ago!) I am thinking that will be an easy way to cook some fish or chicken.

What are your go-to techniques?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A lot of veggies freeze really well, so you might want to take that into consideration. Just give them a quick blanch and put in the freezer, or freeze raw.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,748 Member
    Options
    I love roasting veggies, it brings out great flavor without causing the vegetables to become messy.. Toss with olive oil and seasonings (or add fresh herbs after they're done cooking), pop them in the oven, take out when ready. They taste so good that way!

One thing that helps a lot is I'll cut up lettuce and put it into a large tupperware container, and add those shredded carrots that come in a bag. In general, I'll add the ingredients that won't make a salad mushy, such as green onions, slices of fennel, and so on. Cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes anything "watery" I put in later. It saves time when you want a salad since you only have a little work left to do, and the worst chopping has been done.

Fruit's becoming more varied, and another favorite is fruit salad. Try a few kinds of apples, grapes, pears, etc., but be sure to add lemon juice so the salad doesn't turn brown. Some fruits like apples last a while, whereas something like pears or plums can get mushy faster, so if you're making a lot, you may want to add the mushier ones later or in a separate bowl to use the first couple days. Again, having it handy is nice, and fruit always hits the spot when it's warm outside!