New to this site and nervous about my new life

Options
Hi everyone...

My name is Kim and I'm new here. I have been overweight most of my life with brief sections where I lost weight and got to see what it felt like to be like everyone else. I lost 60 pounds about 2 years ago and then slowly begain putting it on AGAIN. On April 1st, I was diagnosed a diabetic. Shocking! Even though it shouldn't have been. I don't know where my head was at or what I was thinking... this was bound to happen.

My dad died 6 years ago due to diabetic complications and my grandfather died due to diabetic complications... I just kept going through life thinking I was "invinsible"!!

So here I am, back to trying to loose weight ... but now because it comes down to life or death. I'm trying to make adjustments to my diet...I'm REALLY trying this time, not just saying it. I'm trying to exercise ( not doing well with this one) instead of just giving lip service.

This change is really hard and I have ZERO support from family and I no real friends I can turn to.

Sooooo....this is me, this is my life...this is me trying to give my fingers, toes, organs and body a second chance to have a healthy life.

Kim

Replies

• lunarwitch
    Options
    It's really brave of you to put all of that out there, Kim. I'm extremely new here as well but from what I've read so far, a lot of good people are here and very willing to support and encourage you (and keep you laughing!). I hope you find the support you are looking for and if you'd like to add me, feel free to do so :smile: I wish you much success!!
  • Champagnehill
    Options
    Congratulations on starting. This is a fantastic system. Just believe in yourself and your healthy future. Be kind to yourself (but not with food) and take it slowly. I wish you well
  • camberwellbeauty
    camberwellbeauty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim, every single one of us is here for you, just friend request people, we will help you along the way, try to encourage you, and give advice...just post what your doing on your status, what your feeling etc....good luck on your journey to a new you....
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: kim, i am a diabetic also due to steroid injections in my spine from a car accident over a period of 14 years! i put the most weight i had ever weighed before! but this site is the best site for encouragement & support! there are a lot of diabetics on here! i am sending you a friend request so we both can take this journey together! you are not alone anymore!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Wrong spot. Ignore, please.

(But hi, Kim :)
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    This is a good place to start learning about how to lose weight, get healthy, and make friends along the way. There is always someone who will help you with questions you may have. Or just cheer you up when you are having a bad day. Keep reading the posts and enjoy. Welcome. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason I'm losing weight now is so I don't become diabetic, like my mother, grandmother and most of my aunts. Plus, I don't want my (future) children to have it! My grandmother died from complications of Diabetis, and my mother is on dialysis. I don't want to go through that! Good luck in your journey!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting started - that can be half the battle!

A couple of tips which help me are...

- focus on healthy habits rather than the dreaded scale. I've set myself a challenge where for every 10 days I hit my net calories, I can have a treat. For me, a treat is a glossy magazine or book since I'm trying to save the cash!
    - find ways of burning calories in your daily life as well as exercise. E.g. a big spring clean, parking at the back of the supermarket car park and walking further...

As you said, this is a new life so give yourself time to get used to it. In particular, remember that one bad day doesn't mean that you should give up for the rest of the week!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • SweetLove1988
    SweetLove1988 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed with Diabetes but I knew if I didn't lose weight I was going to. I've lost several family members as well due to this disease. I am here for you if you need support in any way, I've only been on this site for a week or so and I love you and you will too. It's so easy to use and keep track of what your eating and working out. Everyone I have came across on here is amazing and they are all so supportive cause they can relate to us. You can add me if you want, and Good luck! You can do this and you will do this.
  • julietseller
    julietseller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim! Like you I decided to join MFP this morning having got up and weighed myself for the first time in ages! What a shock!
    I'm 65 and have struggled with my weight since my 20's- not helped by having had 7 children!
    Have tried every diet going but have come back to MFP for a second attempt because it helped me lose a stone for a daughter's wedding 18 months ago and I know the discipline of logging everything I eat really works. It also forces you to eat sensibly, like it shows clearly how the odd sneaky biscuit can stack up too much fat and carbs!!
    Good luck to you! Stick at it in spite of it being difficult to start with logging your foods. This gets easier as you build up a repertoire!
    Friend me if you like.
  • VickieZureich
    VickieZureich Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim, I was on my way to turn in for the night and read your post and know I could not sleep unless I shared a little:happy: In 08 I was where you are at and within 6 months lost close to 80 pounds...well, both my parents became ill and I was the caretaker and proceeded to gain 30 pounds back. I was told by my doctor that if I did not lose I would for sure have heart problems and I was already taking Metaforam for type 2 diabetis...Well I had a very caring cousin who had triple bypass surgery and she took me by my head and said, please don't let this happen to you, I care too much for you...That is what it took to make a change for me.

Now, restarting again like you just within this past week I can feel so much better and the sugar fog is gone and the cravings. I met with my health dietician through Kaiser and she said I could have as much as 1800 calories to lose. Since I know my body, I am choosing a 1400 calorie plan so I can lose 2 lbs. a week...I need to keep my weight down because I had a knee replacement and do not want to need to have to get the other knee done.

The most important information I gained was to keep the carbs at the same amount for each meal;e.g. if you have toast, 15 carbs,an apple, 15 carbs and cereal 15 carbs, when you have your lunch, repeat 45 carbs for each meal;only 2-3 fruits per day and 6 ounces of meat and the rest the good vegetables...You will be satisfied!

Sure hope this helps and if you would like a friend, here for you.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    HEY KIM <3 SO GLAD YOU JOINED US !

i am brittany, 24 years old, i lost my mother last july to several health issues!
    SO SAD, she was only 45 years old.
    after her death, i put on 20lbs in 2 months (total emotional eater)! i am pretty sure i was diabetic at the time cause when i was 260 i was pre diabetic - but i dont really know, i didnt go to the doctors.
    on sept 30, 2012 i made a commitment to myself to lose weight and i am doing it, & HUN, YOU CAN TOO!
    my starting weight was 307.2lbs and i am down to 239.2 right now (-68 lbs so far, i got about 90 more to go)
    i used my mothers death as my main inspiration, as i want TO LIVE a long healthy life!

YOU CAN DO THIS BABE! YOU REALLY CAN! I BELIEVE IN YOU ! AND WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YOU!!!!!
  • marysowter
    marysowter Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kim ,you have taken the first step and that is by becoming a mfp.The help and support is great,when you are doing great we are there for you and when you have a day were you think "this is not working" and you will! we are there for you .I wish you the best of luck and enjoy your journey. if you wish to add me you are welcome :happy:
  • SweetLove1988
    SweetLove1988 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed with Diabetes but I knew if I didn't lose weight I was going to. I've lost several family members as well due to this disease. I am here for you if you need support in any way, I've only been on this site for a week or so and I love you and you will too. It's so easy to use and keep track of what your eating and working out. Everyone I have came across on here is amazing and they are all so supportive cause they can relate to us. You can add me if you want, and Good luck! You can do this and you will do this.

Meant to say and I love it and you will too..Lol..sry.
  • dga226
    dga226 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me i want to lose weight to be healthy and not have the same health problems my family has high blood presseure type 2 diabities and so on yikes
  • marysowter
    marysowter Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thankyou Kim, just a few tips to help you.

1 Keep your food dairy open we can look at it if you have problems and give you advise and support.

2 Have your daily calorie intake you do need to eat to lose weight starving yourself will not work, trust me!
    3 Take advice and support you will be surprise how this will help.
    4 If you have a bad day (and you will) do not beat your self up about it,yesterday is gone to day is a new day start afresh
    5 Try not to skip meals if it is only a piece of fruit it is better then nothing.
    6 Most important one of all you are NOT dieting you are following a healthy life style,Do NOT make it a chore enjoy and best of all have FUN and be a happy bunny :happy: xx
  • primpixie
    primpixie Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi KIm,
    Well you've made the big step in joining this site. Now all you need is some encouragement, and a few friends to help you on your way!
    It is easier said than done,, we all have hiccups along the way, but most of the people on this site are fantastic in helping you pick yourself up and not beat yourself up about such things.
    You say exercise is a big problem. It is for me too, as I suffer from a chronic illness that leaves me tired doing the smallest of things. However, did you know that moderate cleaning/hoovering are all resistent workouts? Get down and dirty and scrub that bath, with feeling! Take out your anger or fears on that bath/loo/kitchen sink!
    Add me if you'd like too.
    I really hope you hit your goals and start a life afresh. You deserve it.
    PP
  • gsfreeman2
    gsfreeman2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Kim, thanks for sharing your story and for taking the courage to share your thoughts with us.

I was the poster child for metabolic syndrome at my former weight. I was fortunate enough to have a personal trainer and get some formal motivation during the beginning of my weight loss.

There are great communities to learn about how to eat healthy. Look at volumetric eating, 1400 calorie diets, 1200 calorie diets. Feel free to friend me and PM me your e-mail address and I can share some of those plans with you.

But success in weight loss, as in life, all comes down to two things:

1. Consistency. Learning a plan you can follow day in and day out.

2. Resilience. When you have a bad day -- and they happen -- what to do to not get mired in it, but to shake it off and move forward.

You've taken a HUGE first step, identifying the problem and admitting you're ready to take action. We're all here to support you. I wish you nothing but the best!!
  • teresa1121
    teresa1121 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Wow your life sounds like a carbon copy of mine .. I too have struggled all my life with weight after my last child i lost 100 lbs that was 23 years ago i kept it off for awhile.. but through the years i slowly put it back on.. about a year ago my doctor told me that if i did not exersise and lose weight my pre diabetics would be come full blown.. well i listed for awhile and as you thought i was invincible well 2 weeks ago it came true and it was a eye opener... I have to take pills now for the diabetes and i hate it so i told myself that i will eat healthy and exersize so i joined my local rec center and i go and walk the walking track or the treadmill 5 to 6 days a week.. i belong to a weight loss support group called TOPS ( take off pounds sensibly) and it is a great group and i weigh in weekly i am determined to make this work this time i log my foods in a journal and also on MFP all those things make me accountable.. I too have very little support at home.. I have asked and even signed my boyfriend up for the gym also and he declines he really has no desire.. so see you are not alone... My father was diabetic, my older brother , my younger sister and my niece .. so i know all about it.. but i will not let this disease beat me or get me down.. and you should not either.. we are strong everyone here is here for the same reason .. take strength in that ... YOU CAN DO THIS!

Add me and we can beat this together

Teresa
  • Bekkah376
    Bekkah376 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi Kim!

My mom was diagnosed last year with diabetes, and while I don't yet have it I can understand what a life~changing event this has been for you. You're doing the greatest thing for yourself right now ~ changing to a healthy lifestyle & reaching out for support! :smile: