Pre/Post workout snacks

Options
I've searched some of the forums on this topic, but I'm not sure what types of workouts these are referring to. And I've read a few different websites on the topic (which all gave me different information)

I prefer to do cardio and I am currently doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred which has some strength training in it too.
I've been told carbs are the best before a workout and that protein is better for afterwards. I was also told that sugars need to be used through exercise, so if having something with sugar I better be exercising soon after.

Are fruits best before the workout? And is 30-60 minutes before the workout enough time? I was having my greek yogurt about 1-1.5 hours before my workout... I'd eat the yogurt at work then drive home and do my workout. And afterwards I like to have a chocolate protein shake (with pb2, 1/2 banana, spinach, and soy milk). A link I found on pinterest suggested a short cardio workout requires 50-100 cals of carbs prior but a longer cardio workout should be 150-200 calories of carbs, but it didn't mention how many calories for the post workout snack.

just looking for some more ideas. What do you have before/after a workout and what is the time frame that you eat before/after the workout? Also I'm interested in what types of exercise you are doing. And do you always have a pre AND post workout snack? How important is it to eat before and/or after the workout?

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes you feel the best is what you should eat.

Protein synthesis is heightened for at least 36 hours after weight lifting, but the "after burn effect" (for cardio) is sort of an uncharted bro-science grey area. Eating sugar for a workout is an old throw back to bodybuilding during Arnold years...

Eat something / Eat nothing.. doesn't really matter.