Anyone else trying to lose weight before TTC?

Options
I have 2 beautiful daughters (7 & 4) and would like to try for a 3rd child (maybe a boy this time?) in the next year or so. I was a little overweight (5-10 lbs.) when I got pregnant with both of my daughters but now I weigh about 20-25 lbs more than that. I want to get to at least a healthy weight if not my goal weight before TTC again. My husband and I have a lot of other stuff going on right now so now is not the time to TTC anyway but I'm hoping within the next 12-15 months things will have worked out and we will be ready to. So I have the time to get healthy and I want to have one pregnancy that starts out healthy! I would also love to have a routine, both eating and exercising, so that it's easier after having the next baby to get back in shape.

Is there anyone else that's planning on TTC in the future and wanting to get healthy and in shape first? This is a big motivator for me but it's so far off sometimes in the day-to-day I forget about it. It would be great to have others in the same boat. We could keep each other on track and motivated.

Replies

• hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I feel sort of dumb but what is TTC? Something to do with pregnancy is my best guess, but curious what it actually stands for.
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I feel sort of dumb but what is TTC? Something to do with pregnancy is my best guess, but curious what it actually stands for.

Trying To Conceive :smile:
  • ChristaS
    ChristaS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    TTC = Trying to Conceive

I'm not planning on TTC, we are finally done with that but I wanted to say Good luck with both the weight loss and the TTC.
  • Eliza0930
    Eliza0930 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im trying to loose weight before TTC as well. This will be my 1st child. We have been trying for almost a year now. Nothing has happened :( but my doctor said everything will be easier if I were a few pounds lighter, from trying to get pregnant to playing with your child and getting back into shape after. Ive beeing been on MFP for almost 2 months and I have lost 18 pounds, I also lost 7 pounds before that. Total 25 pounds!
    So my reason/goal to loose weight is to be a happy healthy mom :)
    It is a big motivator knowing there are others trying to get into shape before TTC.
  • sroseber
    Options
    Im trying to loose weight before TTC as well. This will be my 1st child. We have been trying for almost a year now. Nothing has happened :( but my doctor said everything will be easier if I were a few pounds lighter, from trying to get pregnant to playing with your child and getting back into shape after. Ive beeing been on MFP for almost 2 months and I have lost 18 pounds, I also lost 7 pounds before that. Total 25 pounds!
    So my reason/goal to loose weight is to be a happy healthy mom :)
    It is a big motivator knowing there are others trying to get into shape before TTC.

Congrats on your weight loss so far! That's great! I started on MFP in Jan '09 and lost 21 lbs from then to mid-June '09. But then things got off track, life got in the way and I quit getting on MFP and now I've gained all that back and then some. My goals at that time were to lose weight for a certain event (vacation) and when that was over I didn't have a clear goal to work towards. Now I want a goal that is for life, as you said, to be a happy healthy mom. And also to be a good example for my kids.

We tried for about a year with our first, it was my last year of college and nothing was happening. Towards the end of college I got so busy with finals and getting ready for graduation I quit paying attention to my temps and when was the best time to TTC. About 2 weeks after graduation I found out I was pregnant. But I didn't know how far along because I had been so busy I didn't even know when my last cycle was! I think when we quit trying so hard and stressing over it it just happened naturally. Good luck, and I've heard a little weight loss even does help sometimes. I've also read that exercising before you get pregnant and I guess whatever you can while pregnant makes it easier to lose the weight and get back to "normal" afterward.
  • Mum2BeNaomi_x
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight before ttc too doing okay atm! I didn't think many people would be to be honest but hey guess I was wrong.
    Good luck everyone on there weight loss and ttc! x
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to lose weight while trying to conceive..it's been about 5 years so I am trying to lose 50 pounds..along with acupuncture, I hope is the key..I'm down 14 so far!
  • sroseber
    Options
    Congratulations on a very good start angel. Are you ttc now too or are you trying to lose weight first? Either way, congratulations and good luck with both.

We are not ready in other ways to TTC just yet and I want to be at a healthy weight when I do get pregnant again. I have lost about 10 lbs (even though my ticker says 7, I lost a few before I really got started on here) I was about 5-10 lbs overweight when I got pregnant with both of my daughters and I am about 15 lbs heavier than that right now. I need to lose about 20 lbs to be within my healthy weight range (which would put me just barely in it) but to reach my goal weight I need to lose about 40. I would love to reach my goal weight before getting pregnant again but if I was somewhere in between there I'd be okay with it too.

Other factors for us are my husband is trying to get a new job and if he gets it then hopefully within a couple years I could become a SAHM! Yay! Also, I'm about 2 yrs away from being vested in my retirement at work (if I can stand to stay here that long!) I would love to lose the weight by next summer at least, him get the job and then us start ttc. If we time it just right then I'd be vested, he'd have been at his new job long enough, and by the time I finish up my maternity leave I could quit and stay home with my girls and the new baby!

We also bought a couple acres of land a couple years ago to build a house on (just before the housing market crashed!) and so we are still hoping to build in the next few years. Him getting this job would make that a whole lot more possible too. We are supposed to find out about the job in the next few weeks....fingers crossed and praying!

Hope you all are doing well with your weight loss efforts and please share if any of you who are currently ttc have been successful, I'm sure everyone would love to share their congratulations with you! :happy:
  • jez838
    jez838 Posts: 216
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm also TTC. I have been trying for 6 months and hoping losing some weight and eating healthier will help. Anyone know of good foods to eat while TTC. I heard B6 was helpful in the process.